1 player??

• Please log in to reply
200 replies to this topic

#1 Lars

Lars

• Members
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 04:40 AM

I was interested in picking this game up for a while and i was borwsing a store the other day and i noticed (at least i think i noticed, i.e. i wasn;t drunk at the time) that it is playable by 1 player.

Can anyone shed some light on how this works, and if it is enjoyable via one player (it might make me buy the game instead of thikning about it). Thaks in advance.

#2 Django

Django

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 04:46 AM

Well, the game-mechanics do not change when you play the game as a Solo-game, because Arkham Horror is allover a cooperative game. So the players play against a GREAT OLD ONE or simply they pla against "the board". In fact, you can´t win the single-player-game as described in the rulebook (one player with one investigator [the "heroes" in  Arkham]). But you can play more than one investigator (two for a VERY hard game, 3 for a hard to medium game or maybe 4 for a balanced game).

I hope this will help you!

#3 Lars

Lars

• Members
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 05:14 AM

Django said:

In fact, you can´t win the single-player-game as described in the rulebook (one player with one investigator [the "heroes" in  Arkham]). But you can play more than one investigator (two for a VERY hard game, 3 for a hard to medium game or maybe 4 for a balanced game).

I hope this will help you!

So to play by yourself you need to be at least 2 charcaters?

Also, do you get the full experience of the game being all the heros yourself?

#4 Eddie

Eddie

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 05:29 AM

In fact, you can´t win the single-player-game as described in the rulebook

Sure you can. I'll admit you won't be able to seal all gates against a GOO like Yig. But you can always battle them. And it is possible to seal enough gates against certain GOO.

So to play by yourself you need to be at least 2 charcaters?

No, but you can. I would certainly NOT start with more than 1 investigator when playing the first few times. After you get to know the rules you can play multiple investigators. I myself prefer to play 2 or 3. 4 is too much for me.

If you are looking for a game to play solo, then this is your best choice. I love playing this in the evening when the kids are in bed and the wife wants to watch television.

#5 cim

cim

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 05:38 AM

It can be played solo: my first several games were. You'll end up with most if not all of your games going to the final fight with the Ancient One (though wins by sealing or closing gates are possible, with enough practice, not that I've ever managed), but some of those fights are reasonably winnable. Running two investigators solo is easily manageable (some people run up to four, but that would be too many for me), and while it's not quite as fun (in my opinion) as a game with two players taking one investigator each, it's still good fun.

The only bit you miss out on playing that way is discussions/arguments between players about the best course of action (and you also don't have someone who might spot that you forgot to move the monsters this mythos phase, or some other silly mistake) but that's bearable.

Another advantage of playing with just one investigator: it'll be quite a while before you get to the stage of needing any expansions to increase the difficulty because you're winning too often.

#6 ColtsFan76

ColtsFan76

Rules Guru

• Members
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 09:55 AM

This game is fully playable with 1 investigator.  The Arkham portion will be more difficult but the Final Battle is easier.  It plays differently and is a bit more clinical - you have to focus on your goals and get them done.

However, the game is also playable with one player running multiple investigators (I prefer 4).  It opens up the game a bit and lets you explore a bit more.  Running multiple characters isn't a big deal and actually helps you learn the game more IMO.  Even when just my wife and I play, we each play with 2 and it works well.

I am not one who normally likes playing solo (I cheat too much) but this is one game I highly recommend solo.

#7 Admiral Ren

Admiral Ren

• Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 10:48 AM

Thats funny because the shop owner told me that whole single player possibility. Hence, why i actually wants to buy it(1 player also mean easier learning of the rules, no?).

but side question as i don't feel to make a topic just for that: I saw some people playing the game and once with and Extention. Did anyone tryed to play with ALL extention in the same single game? i ask because it looks insane :)

#8 Lars

Lars

• Members
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 06:18 PM

Thanks for all the responses.

I don;t intend to play solely one player, but since board games on the lower side of list of things to play when i'm with my gaming groups i am glad to know that this game is good 1 player fun too.

Now to edit my x-mas lists :D

#9 Fecktor

Fecktor

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 07:02 PM

Lars said:

I don;t intend to play solely one player, but since board games on the lower side of list of things to play when i'm with my gaming groups i am glad to know that this game is good 1 player fun too. 

Yeah it's definitely fun playing solo games!   And I think you can easily play as 1 to 4 investigators by yourself without too much problem (5 or more could be a bit hard since you'll have a lot to manage.  I only ever played as 1 or 2 myself.)  Also, playing solo really helps in getting all the rules of the game right, so the games that you'll subsequently play with others should go more smoothly.

@Captain Ren:  Adding expansions doesn't necessarily make the solo play any harder.  So I could easily see one player deciding to mix all available expansions for a game.  Just keep in mind that with all expensions in play, a lone investigator won't often be able to effectively deal with Arkham, Dunwich, Kingsport and the Other Worlds so most of his games will end up with the Ancient One awakening and leading to a Final Battle (though I admit, this is the most probable outcome regardless of any expansion added anyway).  Playing as 2 or more investigators might alleviate this problem, though :)

#10 Nurgle

Nurgle

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 10:32 PM

playing a game alone against a board sounds sad.....one is the lonliest number.....

#11 ColtsFan76

ColtsFan76

Rules Guru

• Members
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 12:07 AM

Nurgle said:

playing a game alone against a board sounds sad.....one is the lonliest number.....

Yes, it does.  Which is why I am usually against the idea.  However, I finally decided to give a few "solo" games a hot when my wife started taking online classes and needed to be on the computer a couple hours a night a few nights a week.  I gave a few a try just to keep busy and having my intelligence sucked dry by plopping down in front of the TV.

Arkham plays really well with 1 player - especially controlling 4 investigators as I like to do.  I had so much fun, I would actually recommend playing this way when the opportunity arises.

#12 Glamdryn

Glamdryn

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 06:36 AM

I recommend:

1 30 Rack

16 games of solo play with increasing difficulty by adding expansions and optional rules, heralds, scenarios, ninjas...

1 Toilet for release

2 Extremely Large Pizzas

6 Caffeine Pills

48 hours

Mix it all together and you have?

Infinite Madness!!!!

#13 Xeper

Xeper

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 07:56 AM

I don't know i tried it once but i just felt alone. I can't say that i think it's a good idea for fun, but it's certanly good to learn all the rules. Or you play some rounds alone to show your friends all the rules ingame.

Without the interaction i was really bored.

Wow worked better alone. It was not that boring, because i could focus on the lvl up possibilities. But both game aren't really funny alone. I would always prefer a pc game when i'am alone.

#14 Gamemaster

Gamemaster

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 01:46 PM

Yep, one player is awesome but can be difficult depending on the AO you play.

And this is my first post on the new forum/website...same Gamemaster from old forum.

#15 jhaelen

jhaelen

• Members
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 08:33 PM

Xeper said:

I don't know i tried it once but i just felt alone. I can't say that i think it's a good idea for fun, but it's certanly good to learn all the rules. Or you play some rounds alone to show your friends all the rules ingame.

Without the interaction i was really bored.

Well, playing solo is also an excellent way to figure out good strategies. I had played solo against each of the Ancient Ones before I had my first game with a group and found it pretty frustrating in the beginning because people tend to not cooperate as well as they could. Games with the several players always end up being more difficult because of that. When there's a disagreement about the best strategy or a player not wanting to give up an item that could be used more effectively by someone else's investigator it can mean the difference between a loss and a win.

Of course, currently I prefer playing in a group because of the additional challenge. If I'm playing solo I'm winning way too often.

#16 Gijs

Gijs

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 09:18 PM

I have played Arkham Horror about 40 times since I bought it and 5 of those with other people. My friends are the type of people that love a (card)game that is over in 15 min.

Yes you miss the interaction when you play alone, but I don't mind. You see, it plays like a story you read in a book. And most of the times I read alone (unless my two year old nephew wants me to read him the same book over and over and over again.)

I actualy bought this game cause I could play it alone. I love it!

I always play with two investigators. This means I almost always have to fight the Ancient One (although I also won from Cthulhu once by closing only two gates, whoopy!)

What it comes down to is this: Play it alone. Play it with everybody you know. Just play it!

#17 ced1106

ced1106

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 05:26 PM

I posted a solo variant that uses only the Dunwich board. Lemme post the cleaned-up BGG link in a few....

#18 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,581 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 03:17 AM

Nurgle said:

I ONLY play solo. My friends are not into it and my girlfriend has an attention span that doesn't go much further than a game of Agricola. It is indeed sad, but in many aspects it's not much different than any video game that eats up your time.

#19 MegaClaw

MegaClaw

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 01:27 AM

This game is quite fun, and I don't know if I'd call it sad to sit and play a board game by yourself (I've played this one solo three or four times and I enjoyed it--helpful to learn the rules, gives a nice break from sitting alone at the computer or watching television). I mean, is it any less sad than reading, or watching television, or sitting on the internet without chat programs running or anything? Sure the social aspect is missing (and that's one of the main draws of boardgames--they encourage socializing) but it's not too terrible. I spend hours playing vidoe games alone (ones that are maybe meant for more than one player, but can be played by only one) and don't consider that any sadder than playing a boardgame alone that is designed for many but playable by one.

#20 balsak40

balsak40

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 12:30 PM

Actually I wished more were 1 player games.  Biggest plus for me is that I learned the rules by playing solo and didn't have to discourage other players while trying to teach them.  The rules a very cumbersome just to start out and after going solo for a bit I made sure I was able to answer any questions knowingly instead of stating "Hold on, let me look at the directions.... *Flip, Flip, Flip*.".  Sad?  Maybe but I like it!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS