Rules Question concerning Quests

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 jlmott

jlmott

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 01:12 PM

These were raised at Gen Con but I would like to have some clarification concerning the way quests work and I cannot find the answers in the rule book.

Can you have more than one active quest?

If you use an abiltity on a quest do you lose the resources?

#2 Ruvion

Ruvion

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 04:09 PM

jlmott said:

These were raised at Gen Con but I would like to have some clarification concerning the way quests work and I cannot find the answers in the rule book.

I think the questions have straight forward answers...

1) There are no upper limit on the number of active quests mentioned in the rulebook, so I would say other than the resources and time that you are committing to them, no. Remember it takes some resource commitment and more than a few rounds to set up a quest in order to milk it, meaning it's a risky investment that may not pay off in the short (definately) and/or the long run (possibly). Since it's not a simple "point, click, and fire" mechanic, there are opportunity risks and costs involved that cannot be ignored. Haven't played yet, but I'm not sure taking significant opportunity and resources costs to get multiple quests going at any one time would be a staple strategy of mine.

2) From page 11 of rulebook: If the questing unit leaves play for any reason, the quest card remains in play but all resource tokens accumulated on that quest card are discarded, and returned to the pool in the centre of the table. So getting that one questing unit (remember you can only have 1 unit ever on a quest) killed due to card effects (its own as well as others) or during defense is a sure way to lose resources. Journey to the Gate (Chaos Quest) for example asks that you discard the questing unit to use its ability once you have 3 resources on it, meaning you have to build up the resource meter again by committing a new unit to it if you want to refresh it after activating the quest ability. Other than that it's up to the text on each individual quest card since there are no general rule that discards resources for using a quest ability.

#3 vermillian

vermillian

• Members
  • 882 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 04:11 PM

Totally correct and I'd stamp that if I were a rules arb. :)

#4 Ruvion

Ruvion

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 04:41 PM

Any interesting in-game situation that you've encountered during GenCon that you'd like to share with us vermillian?

#5 Marius

Marius

• Members
  • 725 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 10:07 PM

The losing of resource tokens when you use the ability depends on the quest.

Journey to the Gate forces you to sacrifice the questing unit.

Only one unit can be questing on any given quest card at any time. If the questing unit leaves play for any reason, the quest card remains in play but all resource tokens accumulated on that quest card are discarded, and returned to the pool in the centre of the table.

So, sacrificing a Unit will cause all resources to be removed from the quest.

There may be other costs associated with activating a quest, which are written on the card itself.

#6 vermillian

vermillian

• Members
  • 882 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 12:56 AM

No, none. To quest you must

Play a quest

Play a unit specifically designated as QUESTING there (from your hand).

Only one unit on ONE quest at a time, it gets resources on the quest corrupted or not, if it leaves that zone or play you are no longer questing there and lose progress.

When you are done with that quest it completes itself, but retains resources (except in the case of the Orc, Chaos and Dwarf (maybe one of the nuetral ones too...) one which require you to sacrifice the quester.

Any further things that need clarified about quests?

#7 jlmott

jlmott

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 09:40 AM

nope, everything said matches with what i thought, and how i played. however, there were some at gen con who believed you could only have one quest at a time and lost resources every time you activated an ability, even when it did not implicitly say to do so.

#8 Osiris

Osiris

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 02:33 PM

Ok I have a quickie :)

So even when we have a unit, with 3 resource tokens stacked on the card.....we are still forced to place an extra resource token on the card each turn. For no apparent extra effect?

Bit of a double edged sword?

#9 rings

rings

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:57 PM

How I understand it is that putting a resource token on it doesn't take away from your resources for the turn...so there is no negative to putting more than 3 resources on the card.  The only reason they put resource tokens on is that they don't want to make quest tokens :)  And maybe open up a gameplay mechanic (a future card that moves tokens from a quest to your resource pool someday?)

Oh, King eh?  Very nice...

#10 vermillian

vermillian

• Members
  • 882 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:59 PM

Please read 'sending units on a quest'.

These resource tokens come from the pool in the centre
of the playing area, and are not subtracted from
the resources a player collects during the kingdom
phase. Resource tokens on a quest card cannot be
used for anything other than the effects of that card.

So yeah. No. They don't cost you anything, as in resources resources... they are extra special fancy resources for the quest only.

#11 Ruvion

Ruvion

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 05:46 PM

I think for now, until cards that changes things are released, we can ignore adding more resource tokens after the threshold of 3 is reached.

#12 Sly

Sly

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:49 PM

Moin,

I'm new here and a foreigner, so please be gentle.

I've got a question concerning "Forced March" (Don't know how to put the image in here):

Can you move a unit from an opponent, which is already on a Quest, to  -for example- the battlefield, so that he's losing all of his counters on this quest?

The best, Sly

#13 Killer Power

Killer Power

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:26 PM

rings said:

The only reason they put resource tokens on is that they don't want to make quest tokens :)  And maybe open up a gameplay mechanic (a future card that moves tokens from a quest to your resource pool someday?)
Hehe... just thought the same thing. :oD But maybe not the ressource pool but another quest or a card that uses Ressource tokens in your round, no matter from which source...

#14 Osiris

Osiris

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 10:28 PM

"These resource tokens come from the pool in the centre
of the playing area, and are not subtracted from
the resources a player collects during the kingdom
phase."

Ah thanks guys, have just found the ruling regarding that, many thanks!

Osiris

#15 vermillian

vermillian

• Members
  • 882 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 12:20 AM

Yes with Forced March you may move anyone's unit. You may move one questing off of the quest (which would then reset the tokens on the quest). You may move a Unit from one place to a Quest zone with a quest.

You CANNOT move a unit NOT on a quest and now have it be QUESTING. To play a unit on to a quest, one must PLAY (from one's hand) the unit on to a quest.

#16 Osiris

Osiris

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 12:28 AM

According to the rulebook only removing the unit from play will remove the resource tokens:

"If the questing unit leaves play for
any reason, the quest card remains in play but all
resource tokens accumulated on that quest card are
discarded, and returned to the pool in the centre of
the table."

Unless I have missed the reference moving a unit off of the quest shouldn't reset the resource tokens.

#17 Mig el Pig

Mig el Pig

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:32 AM

Never noticed that forced march can move other players units around.

It's a bit strange if you consider the fluff.

#18 vermillian

vermillian

• Members
  • 882 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 05:42 AM

Interesting point Osiris.

Consider us baffled.

#19 Osiris

Osiris

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 05:59 AM

No problems. It was only when reading the extract you refered me to that I noticed the wording!?

Vermillian is there an 'authority' who answers any unresolved questions? I presume you would know?

Osiris

#20 Osiris

Osiris

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 06:00 AM

jlmott said:

These two questions were both answered by the forum on the previous page :)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS