What I want from WFRP 3

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 lordsneek

lordsneek

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 02:15 PM

This is a list of features that I hope that WFRP 3 will have. It doesn't need to have all of them to get me to buy the game but I hope it will have at least one or two.  

1. More Spell Variety (They have a whole book to detail wizards so why not?)

2. Cooler/More useful divine magic (The priests should get just as many spells as the wizard and at the same career)

3. A more balanced armor system (no more invincible plate armored dwarf)

4. It should have more detailed setting information then all of it's predecessors

5. A larger antagonist chapter/section

6. A larger/better mutation table right out of the corebook

7. Interesting Career Choices (There don't have to a lot of careers just ones my players like to play)

8. A revised and interesting combat system that is more fun to use and doesn't take hours to run a combat

9. More options at character creation (or better/larger tables)

Most of these I think 2nd edition somewhat lacked (like a large antagonist section). Some of them (like interseting career choices) were already in 2nd edition but could be made even better in 3rd edition. 

#2 Silent Star

Silent Star

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 02:27 PM

lordsneek said:

This is a list of features that I hope that WFRP 3 will have. It doesn't need to have all of them to get me to buy the game but I hope it will have at least one or two.  

1. More Spell Variety (They have a whole book to detail wizards so why not?)

2. Cooler/More useful divine magic (The priests should get just as many spells as the wizard and at the same career)

3. A more balanced armor system (no more invincible plate armored dwarf)

4. It should have more detailed setting information then all of it's predecessors

5. A larger antagonist chapter/section

6. A larger/better mutation table right out of the corebook

7. Interesting Career Choices (There don't have to a lot of careers just ones my players like to play)

8. A revised and interesting combat system that is more fun to use and doesn't take hours to run a combat

9. More options at character creation (or better/larger tables)

Most of these I think 2nd edition somewhat lacked (like a large antagonist section). Some of them (like interseting career choices) were already in 2nd edition but could be made even better in 3rd edition. 

At first glance WFRPv3 contains none of your wish list.

As for number 3 try using an opponent that is not a Goblin or weaker, you'll find that even a fully advanced dwarf champion in plate armour is vulnerable.

#3 Atendarius

Atendarius

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 02:36 PM

Silent Star said:

As for number 3 try using an opponent that is not a Goblin or weaker, you'll find that even a fully advanced dwarf champion in plate armour is vulnerable.

Can I have your secret full pre-release set of rulebooks? ;)

#4 Silent Star

Silent Star

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 02:41 PM

Atendarius said:

Can I have your secret full pre-release set of rulebooks? ;)

If I shared them with any random ******* they wouldn't be secret would they.

#5 lordsneek

lordsneek

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 02:47 PM

Silent Star said:

If a dwarf in plate is so vunerable why was everyone complaining about how powerful they were on the 2nd edition forum.

#6 DagobahDave

DagobahDave

• Members
  • 869 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 05:42 PM

GreyLord said:

If everything else he's stated seems to be showing up as accurate thus far, why would his other statement of being a hybrid be wrong?

We've been assured -- at least three times by three credible sources -- that WFRP3 is very much a roleplaying game, and that we can run old WFRP adventures with it.

What does hybrid mean to you, and why is it the focus of this thread? We can see that the game uses cards and funky dice. That's not unique among RPGs. So what's left to make it a hybrid with a board game? Where's the game board? Where's the grid?

There are board games that use cards, but they're still board games. Why couldn't WFRP3 be a roleplaying game that uses cards, and is still a roleplaying game?

Check out the snapshots of the character sheets taken at GenCon. Listen to what Jay Little has to say on the FFG GenCon video. I don't think the word hybrid can overrule the other descriptions we've received. Did you notice that Graham says it's a roleplaying game three times, and says hybrid once? And he actually says "It felt like a strange hybrid of board game and roleplaying game at first, but".

But! he said. That's an important but.

Later in the blog entry, Graham reaffirmed that it is, indeed, a roleplaying game. And something about a holy grail. I can't write it without hearing John Cleese.

Join the Unofficial X-Wing Galactic Campaign and propel your favorite faction toward victory every time you play!

#7 DagobahDave

DagobahDave

• Members
  • 869 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 06:31 PM

My previous post is in the wrong thread. Sorry. But everything I wrote is still awesome.

Join the Unofficial X-Wing Galactic Campaign and propel your favorite faction toward victory every time you play!

#8 Captin'

Captin'

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:08 PM

DagobahDave said:

GreyLord said:

We've been assured -- at least three times by three credible sources -- that WFRP3 is very much a roleplaying game, and that we can run old WFRP adventures with it.

I don't remember being assured that we can run old adventures with it. Where are these sources of yours? Just curious.

#9 jadrax

jadrax

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:11 PM

Captin' said:

I don't remember being assured that we can run old adventures with it. Where are these sources of yours? Just curious.

A play-tester over at Strike to Stun has said something along the lines of that it would be possable to run The Enemy Within under this ruleset.

#10 Captin'

Captin'

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:30 PM

jadrax said:

Captin' said:

A play-tester over at Strike to Stun has said something along the lines of that it would be possable to run The Enemy Within under this ruleset.

Assuring...

#11 DagobahDave

DagobahDave

• Members
  • 869 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 11:04 PM

Yeah, more than anything else I've seen or read, RuneFang's possibly-NDA-violating posts have been the most encouraging and revealing.

#12 monkeylite

monkeylite

• Members
  • 834 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 11:43 PM

DagobahDave said:

Yeah, more than anything else I've seen or read, RuneFang's possibly-NDA-violating posts have been the most encouraging and revealing.

Don't say that.

For the record I don't believe I violated anything. As a playtester I can't really say anything about the game.

As a writer I believe I am able to confirm what is already announced officially by FFG. They announced a roleplaying game that you could roleplay with. I simply confirmed (or clarified) that indeed this is a roleplaying game you can roleplay with, with a system that encourages roleplaying. It's only necessary to even state that because of weird interpretations people are making with the info they have and the inevitable internet chinese whispers.

I take my NDAs very seriously and have acted exactly as instructed, afaict.

#13 Silent Star

Silent Star

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 12:05 AM

lordsneek said:

If a dwarf in plate is so vunerable why was everyone complaining about how powerful they were on the 2nd edition forum.

For "Everyone" see a couple of idiots that are not up to running a game and then notice that almost all the replies tell them how easy it is to beat ANY character no matter how advanced.

#14 lordsneek

lordsneek

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 12:31 AM

Silent Star said:

lordsneek said:

For "Everyone" see a couple of idiots that are not up to running a game and then notice that almost all the replies tell them how easy it is to beat ANY character no matter how advanced.

Why must we reduce this wonderful forum to a point where we are just calling each other names over a game. It's alright to ask for advice about a game and people shouldn't be insulted for it.

#15 MagnusSeter

MagnusSeter

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 01:02 AM

monkeylite said:

You're Runefang? I never guessed.

/M

#16 DagobahDave

DagobahDave

• Members
  • 869 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 04:15 AM

monkeylite said:

For the record I don't believe I violated anything. As a playtester I can't really say anything about the game...

I'm sure you do, and I believe that you've been careful about sticking to it.

Cool-guy-smiley is not as effective as I would like in conveying the playful mood I wrote that in.

#17 Leogun_91

Leogun_91

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 04:28 AM

DagobahDave said:

My previous post is in the wrong thread. Sorry. But everything I wrote is still awesome.

Sigged

#18 dimitkan

dimitkan

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 04:50 AM

I want more beautiful cards, cardboard sheets,  maps, many tokens and less rulebooks. That's why I think the new edition is the best for me.

#19 ejacobs

ejacobs

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 04:56 AM

I too am looking forward to this new set.  I think the rulebooks may become redundant quickly with the special dice in play.  Hopefully the books still retain a lot of value as fluff and rules after the initial learning curve is complete.  Really, with the nice and cards, this seems like a very easy game to pick up, but still one where can take the previously published adventures of v1 and v2 and apply the story without having to worry much about the old stats.   Here's to hoping it works out that way, but so far I'm sold.

E

#20 VonMoose

VonMoose

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 05:20 AM

i want more involevent from ffg... but they created wfrp v3 with no consultaion from the community...  they are slack in getting involed in the forums.. i  feel like the sold the rights to wizards of the coast... well done.. please ffg prove me wrong... not  THAT ANYBODY HAS GOT A REPSONSE FROM FFG FOR OVE 12 MONTHS... irt proves that ffg are a board and card game company..not a rpg company.... pls ffg the comunity could buy the rights to wfrp to get it done right..:D

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS