Jump to content



Photo

I'm In


  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Jagdcarcajou

Jagdcarcajou

    Member

  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 06:10 AM

Heya,

The game looks like it adds some great new ideas to roleplaying.  I am only guessing, but from the look of the action card (which appears to be more of a flash-card quick reference than a "kewl power" card), the dice pool is determined by a combo of ability and some X factors.  Roll your pool, and interpret the results.  So, you need two "hammers" to hit, 3 gives you a damage boost, and other options are available based on what you roll.

This seems to open up a lot of interpretive freedom for the GM and players to describe the action.  It isn't needed per se, but I think it has lots of potential to add a spark to the game.  In particular it may be an innovative way to get new players over the "I hit for 5 damage" and into more descriptive narration.

If your pool tells you how many "hammer" dice you get to roll etc., then this is an interesting system that gets away from traditional numeric dice.  There is nothing wrong with improving or innovating the "game" portion of an RPG.  Hell, the roleplaying aspect is completely independent of system anyway.  In fact, the game portion of 2nd edition was its weakest element.

Too bad so much negativity comes with the announcement.  I see a lot of evidence of poor reading comprehension, and unfounded accusations. (Board game, only 4 players, not a roleplaying game, etc.  what a load of crap.)  Hopefully GenCon will bring some more elucidation from attendees that get to see the game.

Interested.

Chris

 



#2 DagobahDave

DagobahDave

    Laser Brain

  • Members
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 06:13 AM

Well said. I'm in.


Join the Unofficial X-Wing Galactic Campaign and propel your favorite faction toward victory every time you play!

 


#3 Necrozius

Necrozius

    Member

  • Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 06:39 AM

That DOES all sound awesome.

I'm getting more and more excited about this game.



#4 Anonymus

Anonymus

    Member

  • Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 06:40 AM

Yeah, i want to describe a battle for 8 hours not a story when i roleplay. Sounds like fun. This is for people who read black library books for the dakka and not the fluff. Ugh.



#5 Anonymus

Anonymus

    Member

  • Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 06:40 AM

And i want to pay for NPC cards...



#6 DagobahDave

DagobahDave

    Laser Brain

  • Members
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:38 AM

Anonymus said:

Yeah, i want to describe a battle for 8 hours not a story when i roleplay. Sounds like fun. This is for people who read black library books for the dakka and not the fluff. Ugh.

Do you have any idea how rude you're being right now?


Join the Unofficial X-Wing Galactic Campaign and propel your favorite faction toward victory every time you play!

 


#7 Necrozius

Necrozius

    Member

  • Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:42 AM

Don't mention halflings, man. Then you'll get the REAL royal treatment.

 


#8 Anonymus

Anonymus

    Member

  • Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:48 AM

Elaborate, i am oblivious to my rudeness. Or maybe you missinterpreted something.



#9 Necrozius

Necrozius

    Member

  • Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:54 AM

Anonymus said:

Elaborate, i am oblivious to my rudeness. Or maybe you missinterpreted something.

Ha ha! What a class act.

One moment you're like:

"Well OBVIOUSLY if you like WFRP 3.0, you'd HAVE to be an imbecile with a short attention span and an inability to read! "

Then when someone calls you out on that behavior, you're like:

"What? Pray tell enlighten me on how I wronged thee, good sir! "



#10 Anonymus

Anonymus

    Member

  • Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:09 AM

Reread please.  He quoted something else. and reread what i wrote before, memory loss is common and a lot of people don't know that you can do something about it.



#11 Nuffle

Nuffle

    Member

  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:27 AM

 I was a doomsayer as well, till I checked out the info FFG has released. Now I can't wait to get my hands on this game! I'm sure it will be a hell of a lot of fun to play this. 

I do wonder how well the mechanics acomodate the use of miniatures during combat. 



#12 MILLANDSON

MILLANDSON

    Playtester

  • Members
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:44 AM

I'm looking forward to it too, can't wait to get my hands on it.

Also guys, ignore Anonymous. Anyone with a name like that can only be a 4chan troller.


~Yea, Tho I Walk Through The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil~

 

Posts/views/opinions are in no way representative of FFG, and are entirely my own.


#13 Wycked

Wycked

    Member

  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:45 AM

Jagdcarcajou said:

Heya,

The game looks like it adds some great new ideas to roleplaying.  I am only guessing, but from the look of the action card (which appears to be more of a flash-card quick reference than a "kewl power" card), the dice pool is determined by a combo of ability and some X factors.  Roll your pool, and interpret the results.  So, you need two "hammers" to hit, 3 gives you a damage boost, and other options are available based on what you roll.

This seems to open up a lot of interpretive freedom for the GM and players to describe the action.  It isn't needed per se, but I think it has lots of potential to add a spark to the game.  In particular it may be an innovative way to get new players over the "I hit for 5 damage" and into more descriptive narration.

If your pool tells you how many "hammer" dice you get to roll etc., then this is an interesting system that gets away from traditional numeric dice.  There is nothing wrong with improving or innovating the "game" portion of an RPG.  Hell, the roleplaying aspect is completely independent of system anyway.  In fact, the game portion of 2nd edition was its weakest element.

Too bad so much negativity comes with the announcement.  I see a lot of evidence of poor reading comprehension, and unfounded accusations. (Board game, only 4 players, not a roleplaying game, etc.  what a load of crap.)  Hopefully GenCon will bring some more elucidation from attendees that get to see the game.

Interested.

Chris

 

Jagdcarcajou said:

Heya,

The game looks like it adds some great new ideas to roleplaying.  I am only guessing, but from the look of the action card (which appears to be more of a flash-card quick reference than a "kewl power" card), the dice pool is determined by a combo of ability and some X factors.  Roll your pool, and interpret the results.  So, you need two "hammers" to hit, 3 gives you a damage boost, and other options are available based on what you roll.

This seems to open up a lot of interpretive freedom for the GM and players to describe the action.  It isn't needed per se, but I think it has lots of potential to add a spark to the game.  In particular it may be an innovative way to get new players over the "I hit for 5 damage" and into more descriptive narration.

Yeah you're right. How could anyone "interpret" any of their PC's actions prior to this new edition without nifty little dice with specially designed symbols and action cards? I know all of my group's creativity and interpretation during combat was removed when we simply rolled dice with plain boring numbers on them and then tried to be imaginative or <gasp> role-play the outcomes of the roll's success or failure.

I can't believe we didn't realize just how restricted and shackled we were. I guess we should be thanking the new edition <cough> boardgame <cough> for liberating us from such evils with these new dice and super swell action cards.

Jagdcarcajou said:

If your pool tells you how many "hammer" dice you get to roll etc., then this is an interesting system that gets away from traditional numeric dice.  There is nothing wrong with improving or innovating the "game" portion of an RPG.  Hell, the roleplaying aspect is completely independent of system anyway.  In fact, the game portion of 2nd edition was its weakest element.

Disillusion is wonderful, isn't it?

Jagdcarcajou said:

Too bad so much negativity comes with the announcement.  I see a lot of evidence of poor reading comprehension, and unfounded accusations. (Board game, only 4 players, not a roleplaying game, etc.  what a load of crap.)  Hopefully GenCon will bring some more elucidation from attendees that get to see the game.

Interested.

Chris

Oh, no. There are plenty of people here that have thoroughly read all the details within the description. It's just that, some people know when a turd is still just a turd, no matter how much it has been polished up, sprayed with perfume and wrapped in a nice red bow, the rest are just sheeple looking for the next new fad, no matter how craptastic.

Enjoy!



#14 MILLANDSON

MILLANDSON

    Playtester

  • Members
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:49 AM

Wycked said:

Blah Blah Blah, Troll, Troll Blah

Go away please.


~Yea, Tho I Walk Through The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil~

 

Posts/views/opinions are in no way representative of FFG, and are entirely my own.


#15 Darthvegeta800

Darthvegeta800

    Member

  • Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:52 AM

Hehe. 'I'm in'. I was thinking of making a similar thread.
I may pick that one up. Especially since it looks like high quality and capable of pulling in new players easily.
Hopefully it'll be tried out locally.



#16 Anonymus

Anonymus

    Member

  • Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:53 AM

MILLANDSON said:

I'm looking forward to it too, can't wait to get my hands on it.

Also guys, ignore Anonymous. Anyone with a name like that can only be a 4chan troller.

 

                                                    Yeah.



#17 Wycked

Wycked

    Member

  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:53 AM

MILLANDSON said:

Wycked said:

 

Blah Blah Blah, Troll, Troll Blah

 

 

Go away please.

MILLANDSON said:

Wycked said:

 

Blah Blah Blah, Troll, Troll Blah

 

 

Go away please.

Buck up, kid. I know the truth stings sometimes, but you'll be ok. Yeah, you'll be ok.



#18 Necrozius

Necrozius

    Member

  • Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:55 AM

Wycked said:

 

Buck up, kid. I know the truth stings sometimes, but you'll be ok. Yeah, you'll be ok.

Don't flatter yourself: you're not hurting anyone's feelings, you're just filling this forum with awful posts that do not contribute to the discussion.



#19 Anonymus

Anonymus

    Member

  • Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:58 AM

Necrozius said:

Wycked said:

 

 

Buck up, kid. I know the truth stings sometimes, but you'll be ok. Yeah, you'll be ok.

 

 

Don't flatter yourself: you're not hurting anyone's feelings, you're just filling this forum with awful posts that do not contribute to the discussion.

 

And you help how?



#20 Necrozius

Necrozius

    Member

  • Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 09:04 AM

Anonymus said:

And you help how?

You're right: I admitted that I was deliberately trolling you in another thread: for that i apologize.

But 'sperging furiously about a game involving magical orcs and fairies while throwing around insults is pretty lame and immature. Knock it off.






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS