• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 neilw

neilw

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 08:18 AM

Hello,

I've just started playing (the gamesworkshop version) and there are a few things I'm not that certain about.

If at the start of a challenge I am the defender and only have Edict cards:

1. For the cards I can play, do I have to play them or can I just discard them if I don't want to

2. Am I right in thinking the only two valid edict cards you can play at this time are timegash and plague. I presume rebirth can't be played because that is before a challenge starts.

Also, is it possible to target a planet with just my own cones on (to avoid attacking somebody)?

Thanks.

#2 Big Head Zach

Big Head Zach

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 12:43 PM

neilw said:

Hello,

I've just started playing (the gamesworkshop version) and there are a few things I'm not that certain about.

If at the start of a challenge I am the defender and only have Edict cards:

1. For the cards I can play, do I have to play them or can I just discard them if I don't want to

2. Am I right in thinking the only two valid edict cards you can play at this time are timegash and plague. I presume rebirth can't be played because that is before a challenge starts.

3. Also, is it possible to target a planet with just my own cones on (to avoid attacking somebody)?

You're asking questions about an older edition of Cosmic Encounter than the one offered by FFG, so answers might differ. You may want to check boardgamegeek.com for info.

#3 shnar

shnar

• Members
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 02:01 PM

Also, is it possible to target a planet with just my own cones on (to avoid attacking somebody)?

[/QUOTE]

1. You don't have to play any cards. After Allies are committed, you discard your hand and get a fresh hand of 7 cards. (FFG version is 8 cards)

2. Timegash is only at the start of (any) player's turn. If the Offense has already flipped the destiny pile, then you cannot play Timegash. Not sure on Plague, I think it's at the start of a challenge? You could Cosmic Zap, I think . We always played that you could CZ any time during the turn, and the power was just gone for the rest of the challenge.

And you can target *any* planet in the color's system. If you have tokens on that planet, then you still have to attack, and if you win, you just add to the pile of tokens on that planet. You have to take one challenge on your turn, but you don't have to take your second challenge.

And almost all version of Cosmic Encounters are very similar, so most rules can be applied :)

-shnar

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS