Jump to content



Photo

Dawn of War Series 2 Miniatures


  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 schoon

schoon

    Member

  • Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 03:01 PM

Hi Folks,

Just to get it in a topic of its own so I don't have to go looking through a bunch of other topics...

The Series II miniatures appear to be:

  1. Val
  2. Hurricane
  3. De520
  4. Stuka (?)

Does this match the rumor-collections of others?



#2 The Sundance Kid

The Sundance Kid

    Member

  • Members
  • 530 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 03:04 PM

schoon said:

Hi Folks,

Just to get it in a topic of its own so I don't have to go looking through a bunch of other topics...

The Series II miniatures appear to be:

  1. Val
  2. Hurricane
  3. De520
  4. Stuka (?)

Does this match the rumor-collections of others?

 

That would be correct sir.

 

Though I wish they would trade in a P-40 for the Hurricane.



#3 Merlin Dex

Merlin Dex

    Member

  • Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 09:00 PM

That s good !

You can see the protos for the Val, D520 and Hurricane on my website

 

 



#4 ejacobs

ejacobs

    Member

  • Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 02:28 AM

I agree about the P40 for the Hurricane, but all in good time I hope.  AND... Hopefully the minis market is taking off for them and we start getting more planes out faster, a set a quarter would be AWESOME!!!

 

E



#5 afilter

afilter

    Member

  • Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 04:12 AM

ejacobs said:

I agree about the P40 for the Hurricane, but all in good time I hope.  AND... Hopefully the minis market is taking off for them and we start getting more planes out faster, a set a quarter would be AWESOME!!!

 

E

 

Agreed, but realistically every 6 months.  With only 4 models in each set they could do quite a few with WWII.  Cannot wait until we get a dauntless as well.

Hoping we will also see an expansion with some new targetes for the bombers.  Some ships would be great,



#6 Pour Le Merite

Pour Le Merite

    Member

  • Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 01:54 AM

afilter said:

Agreed, but realistically every 6 months.  With only 4 models in each set they could do quite a few with WWII.  Cannot wait until we get a dauntless as well.

Hoping we will also see an expansion with some new targetes for the bombers.  Some ships would be great,

Nah, there is a lot of targets like tanks, ships and troops to buy, both in the same scale or a smaller one (too symbolise height or just if youre too cheap for the huge one.

For tanks, artillery (and airplanes that is not released yet as the P40) I can reccomend the Action 200 figures, Skytrex.com sells them but there are probably other places you can find them too.

As for the ships, 1:200 is really too huge. I would probably go for 1:700 since it is still large enough to look impressive. Meridian have some nice ones but you can find many in plasic kits also.

Of course you will have to paint them but Wow should focus on getting out planes instead of targets. I havn't seen the WW2 planes even myself, my gaming store havn't got them in yet. Sucks to live in the most nothern part of europe sometimes.:(



#7 afilter

afilter

    Member

  • Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 03:45 AM

Pour Le Merite said:

afilter said:

 

Agreed, but realistically every 6 months.  With only 4 models in each set they could do quite a few with WWII.  Cannot wait until we get a dauntless as well.

Hoping we will also see an expansion with some new targetes for the bombers.  Some ships would be great,

 

 

Nah, there is a lot of targets like tanks, ships and troops to buy, both in the same scale or a smaller one (too symbolise height or just if youre too cheap for the huge one.

For tanks, artillery (and airplanes that is not released yet as the P40) I can reccomend the Action 200 figures, Skytrex.com sells them but there are probably other places you can find them too.

As for the ships, 1:200 is really too huge. I would probably go for 1:700 since it is still large enough to look impressive. Meridian have some nice ones but you can find many in plasic kits also.

Of course you will have to paint them but Wow should focus on getting out planes instead of targets. I havn't seen the WW2 planes even myself, my gaming store havn't got them in yet. Sucks to live in the most nothern part of europe sometimes.:(

I guess  was referrring to flat images similar to the burning drachen set.  I have more than enough models that could be subsituted at targets.  Something other than a little red dot would be nice.  I think I saw someone did a BB on another site.



#8 schoon

schoon

    Member

  • Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 06:26 PM

Pour Le Merite said:

As for the ships, 1:200 is really too huge. I would probably go for 1:700 since it is still large enough to look impressive. Meridian have some nice ones but you can find many in plasic kits also.

For ships I would be tempted to go an even smaller scale than that, something more akin to 1:1200, as even 1:700 scale ships (though readily available) can be pretty large!



#9 afilter

afilter

    Member

  • Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 06:57 PM

schoon said:

Pour Le Merite said:

As for the ships, 1:200 is really too huge. I would probably go for 1:700 since it is still large enough to look impressive. Meridian have some nice ones but you can find many in plasic kits also.

 

For ships I would be tempted to go an even smaller scale than that, something more akin to 1:1200, as even 1:700 scale ships (though readily available) can be pretty large!

Actually I try to stay awy from 3D targets altogether as they only complicate movement.  With the introduction of Bombers (especially naval ones) I will not be suprised if we see some new targets ie ships done in the style of the ballons in the WWI game.  Even and expansion packe would be neat with scaled ships, factories etc with AA values and arcs of fire.  Dive bombing was a bit more personal than level bombing.  I think targets the plnaes can interact with more would be a big bonus.



#10 ejacobs

ejacobs

    Member

  • Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 01:08 AM

Any word on a timeframe as to when we can start looking for the second set to arrive on the shelves?

E



#11 afilter

afilter

    Member

  • Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:14 AM

ejacobs said:

Any word on a timeframe as to when we can start looking for the second set to arrive on the shelves?

E

 

It was reported earlier they could be out as early as this October.



#12 Merlin Dex

Merlin Dex

    Member

  • Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 04:10 AM

That would be surprising...

The minis are still in prototype phase...

 



#13 Dorb

Dorb

    Member

  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 05:26 AM

De520 could hold off until much later expansion. They really  need to focus on the main players of the war. Get the basics out first, and the less known ones later.  Just a thought.

 

 



#14 HMS Hajj

HMS Hajj

    Member

  • Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 07:25 PM

Nexus has reported they will be out in January of 2010.

 

Fly Safe,

Keith "Col. Hajj" Upton

www.wingsofwar.org



#15 csadn

csadn

    Member

  • Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 07:34 PM

Dorb said:

De520 could hold off until much later expansion. They really  need to focus on the main players of the war. Get the basics out first, and the less known ones later.  Just a thought.

Quite the opposite since the "main players" have been covered ad nauseam, releasing lesser-known units is more helpful to the players; anyone can get a P-40 mini Dewoitines are harder to come by.



#16 Pour Le Merite

Pour Le Merite

    Member

  • Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 06:45 AM

csadn said:

 

Quite the opposite since the "main players" have been covered ad nauseam, releasing lesser-known units is more helpful to the players; anyone can get a P-40 mini Dewoitines are harder to come by.

I have kind of mixed feelings about that. We do need the main players but I can of course order them from one of the regular stores I order my metal planes and gigurines from. Some planes are however hard to find and the D.520 is one of them.

The D520 is interesting however because it was a good plane, it was very close to the Me109 in performance. The P-40 was made in larger numbers but it is considered an average fighters in almost all sources.

I personally think that the DOWs packs should be released with relevant planes from the same period and battle, like one pack with the fighters from the battle of brittain. Another from Midway or the siege of Malta. Maybe a deluxe pack with one or two of each plane and some scenarios and information from each battle, it would be very nice.



#17 Dorb

Dorb

    Member

  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 04:02 AM

I just feel new players will be looking for the ones they know and have seen. I'm sure it was a great plane, but sill not a plane you see very much of when you grab a book on WWII.  Perhaps they should add planes based on the number produced during the war.

I fully understand we want to include as many other nations aces in the game to get a wider user base, guess just another way at looking at it.



#18 Pour Le Merite

Pour Le Merite

    Member

  • Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 08:39 AM

Dorb said:

I just feel new players will be looking for the ones they know and have seen. I'm sure it was a great plane, but sill not a plane you see very much of when you grab a book on WWII.  Perhaps they should add planes based on the number produced during the war.

I fully understand we want to include as many other nations aces in the game to get a wider user base, guess just another way at looking at it.

If they used that method to which models we should get would the lineup be very different. For Wow we wouldn¨t even have a Fokker triplane yet then, it was only made in 350 planes. The Pfalz DIII and DIIIa was built in over a thousand planes and it isn't in the game yet even if it is coming.

I think they focus mostly on what planes the aces flew, how cool they look and try to make some planes from all the different countries involved. The game is popular in france so they probably threw it in to make all their players happy.

There is also gamebalance, the plane is closely matched to Hurricane and Me109.

Still, it isn't my favorite plane either. I wouldn't have been sorry if they had made another plane instead, like Gloster Gladiator or something.



#19 Dorb

Dorb

    Member

  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 12:38 PM

But everyone knows about the Fokker DRI. Perhaps if a Richtofen flew a De520 in WWII folks would care, but they just don't.  As it is I support WoW and only buy "their" planes for their game which last count was up to 67 planes so I guess you could say I have a "invested" interest in what they pick. I will buy it, just hate to see it in the 2nd series.  I would love to have seen your preferred pick - that could possibly work in both systems.



#20 Pour Le Merite

Pour Le Merite

    Member

  • Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 03:11 PM

Dorb said:

But everyone knows about the Fokker DRI. Perhaps if a Richtofen flew a De520 in WWII folks would care, but they just don't.  As it is I support WoW and only buy "their" planes for their game which last count was up to 67 planes so I guess you could say I have a "invested" interest in what they pick. I will buy it, just hate to see it in the 2nd series.  I would love to have seen your preferred pick - that could possibly work in both systems.

Richtoffen actually flew an Albatross DIII a lot more than the DrI. He also flew a Roland DII for quite a while, and a Albatross CIII. The interesting thing is that he died in the DrI, if he would have died a little later the plane people think about would have been the Fokker DVII (they got it 3 days after his death).

I got about 20 Wow planes (and 40 or so other planes), and would still say I support Wow but they just can't make enough models for me. I have about 25 different kinds of planes right now and it is growing fast.

No, I am sure the De was made for series 2 because they wanted a plane from another allied country beside the brits and yanks. Just like the Hansa-Brandenburgh/UFAG CI for Wow. 






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS