Slaugth in Rogue Trader

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ferau

Ferau

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 01:12 PM

I'd really like to see the Slaugth detailed further in Rogue Trader.  I've found them to be a versatile menace for my players, both as straight up monsters and as the backbone of the Amaranthine Syndicate. 

What little there is written about them mentions that they may have an empire hidden somewhere in the Halo Stars.  There's also a bit about their "tenebrous vessels" in the GM's Kit booklet.  I'd like to see the stats for these, and more on their technology as well. 

Anyone else hoping to see the Slaugth or any of the other races expanded upon?

#2 MDMann

MDMann

• Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 02:22 PM

I'd quite like to see them as a menace for the peons who are Acolytes, but a minor nuissance for those who traverse the stars (RT's). Showcasing just how things are relative.

#3 Psion

Psion

• Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 02:58 PM

MDMann said:

I'd quite like to see them as a menace for the peons who are Acolytes, but a minor nuissance for those who traverse the stars (RT's). Showcasing just how things are relative.

The Slaugth inflitrators certainly, but it's mentioned in their description that even Rogue Traders are wary of them.  Perhaps there's something bigger out there then what was statted in Maggots in the Meat....

#4 Brother Praetus

Brother Praetus

• Members
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 12:25 AM

MDMann said:

Reference "123.M40; The Threefold Curse" in the Calixis Sector's timeline:

Two heavily defended Battlefleet Calixis watch-stations and a sizable capital ship taskforce, lead by the grand cruiser Fire of Heaven, are destroyed by unknown assailants within a year in the outer reaches of the Hazeroth abyss, forcing a retrenchment, effectively shrinking the border of the sector and ending further military expansion in the region.  The only clue to the cause is found carved on a bulkhead in the hulk of sentry-17, which reads, "The worms that walk have come for us all."

This is a reference to the Slaugth striking into the sector, probably due to the Imperium coming close to stumbling on their territories.  They can threaten and destroy battlefleet taskforces.  Still think they should just be a nuisance for a Rogue Trader?  They are a "big bad" for the Calixis Sector, not a nuisance like an Ork Waaagh!  I would dare say they are a great enough threat that they fall between a Necron Harvest fleet and a Tyranid Hive fleet.

-=Brother Praetus=-

"Truth is so rare it must be protected by a bodyguard of lies."

- Fortune Cookie

#5 Psion

Psion

• Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 03:39 AM

Brother Praetus said:

Reference "123.M40; The Threefold Curse" in the Calixis Sector's timeline:

Two heavily defended Battlefleet Calixis watch-stations and a sizable capital ship taskforce, lead by the grand cruiser Fire of Heaven, are destroyed by unknown assailants within a year in the outer reaches of the Hazeroth abyss, forcing a retrenchment, effectively shrinking the border of the sector and ending further military expansion in the region.  The only clue to the cause is found carved on a bulkhead in the hulk of sentry-17, which reads, "The worms that walk have come for us all."

This is a reference to the Slaugth striking into the sector, probably due to the Imperium coming close to stumbling on their territories.  They can threaten and destroy battlefleet taskforces.  Still think they should just be a nuisance for a Rogue Trader?  They are a "big bad" for the Calixis Sector, not a nuisance like an Ork Waaagh!  I would dare say they are a great enough threat that they fall between a Necron Harvest fleet and a Tyranid Hive fleet.

-=Brother Praetus=-

Technically (if we want to get technical,) a Waaagh! is only a nuisance if you're a Space Marine.  A nuisance for most DH/RT players is a pack of Warp Beasts a Dark Eldar sicked on them for laughs.  Still, I'd have to say that statement is probably accurate otherwise.

#6 Santiago

Santiago

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 01:08 AM

I've pitted the Slaught Overseer against Sgt Brother Agemor, he lost...badly...

#7 Brother Praetus

Brother Praetus

• Members
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 09:01 AM

Psion said:

Technically (if we want to get technical,) a Waaagh! is only a nuisance if you're a Space Marine.  A nuisance for most DH/RT players is a pack of Warp Beasts a Dark Eldar sicked on them for laughs.  Still, I'd have to say that statement is probably accurate otherwise.

Psi,

The general point came across at least.

-=Brother Praetus=-

"Truth is so rare it must be protected by a bodyguard of lies."

- Fortune Cookie

#8 Replicant253

Replicant253

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:28 PM

Santiago said:

I've pitted the Slaught Overseer against Sgt Brother Agemor, he lost...badly...

Putting this into a table top perpesctrive I imagine that the overseer would constitute the uber HQ unit for a Slaugth army (like a Necron Lord or Ork Boss).  Therefore a sergeant from a Marine squad would be easy fodder.  Would be interesting to see the Slaugth go up against a proper Marine character (company Captain, Chaplain, Librarian etc.)

By the way I am no Marine fan boy! :)

#9 Santiago

Santiago

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:39 PM

Agamor is a veteran sgt of the deathwatch...I think a librarian would run of and hide himself in some rhino (before it disintegrates) since they are totally immune to psychic powers.

No the Slaught Overlord is very lethal...

#10 N0-1_H3r3

N0-1_H3r3

Former Contributing Freelance Writer

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:12 AM

Santiago said:

I think a librarian would run of and hide himself in some rhino (before it disintegrates) since they are totally immune to psychic powers.

They do, I've seen it happen. I tried a one-shot Deathwatch game using custom-built Astartes PCs, against the Slaught. A few variant weapons choices (normal Slaugth with power blades as shock melee creatures) kept the players on their toes, while the Overseer simply waded through them and forced the group to retreat, rig their grenades and explosives together and martyr themselves to bring the beast down...

Writing Credits for Fantasy Flight Games: Into the Storm, Edge of the Abyss, Battlefleet Koronus, Hostile Acquisitions, Black Crusade Core Rulebook, First Founding, The Jericho Reach, The Soul Reaver, Only War, The Navis Primer and Ark of Lost Souls

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS