Photo

Loser Playing Negotiate: Does Anyone Get Compensation?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 The Vidiot

The Vidiot

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 06:05 AM

Here is the situation:

Loser uses his power to declare an upset, but he only has a Negotiate card, so he plays it. His opponent plays an Attack card, so the Loser loses, and thus wins. (With me so far?) Now, since the opponents ships went to the Warp, does the opponent get to take compensation? My instinct says no, because the opponent did not actually play a Negotiate card, and is thus ineligible for compensation. And the Loser does not take compensation, because none of his ships were sent to the Warp.

Thoughts?

#2 Big Head Zach

Big Head Zach

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 08:29 AM

The Vidiot said:

Here is the situation:

Loser uses his power to declare an upset, but he only has a Negotiate card, so he plays it. His opponent plays an Attack card, so the Loser loses, and thus wins. (With me so far?) Now, since the opponents ships went to the Warp, does the opponent get to take compensation? My instinct says no, because the opponent did not actually play a Negotiate card, and is thus ineligible for compensation. And the Loser does not take compensation, because none of his ships were sent to the Warp.

You are correct on both counts. Loser should be feared if he ever has a hand full of Negotiates - it effectively turns him into a Pacifist that can't be reasoned with (since you must play an Attack against him if he declares upset).

#3 Phyrgian

Phyrgian

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:06 PM

never considered this before...

Badass

#4 Hem

Hem

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 09:52 AM

Wow, I'll have to check back at my alien sheets, I thought the Upset was only taking place with double attack cards revealed.

#5 Big Head Zach

Big Head Zach

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 01:54 PM

Hem said:

Wow, I'll have to check back at my alien sheets, I thought the Upset was only taking place with double attack cards revealed.

Not just then - the rules just state that the players must play Attack cards if they have one. Without that requirement, declaring upset would just elicit Negotiates out of both players' hands (resulting in a deal at the very worst).

#6 shnar

shnar

• Members
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 07:03 AM

Woa, really? The EON version of the Loser had no restrictions on the cards you played, and if you played a Negotiate (Compromise in EON terminology), you still "gave up" and lost the challenge. Loser's upset power did not change the effect of the Negotiate card. Does FFG's version turn the Loser into a psuedo-Pacifist?

-shnar

#7 Big Head Zach

Big Head Zach

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 08:27 AM

shnar said:

Woa, really? The EON version of the Loser had no restrictions on the cards you played, and if you played a Negotiate (Compromise in EON terminology), you still "gave up" and lost the challenge. Loser's upset power did not change the effect of the Negotiate card. Does FFG's version turn the Loser into a psuedo-Pacifist?

-shnar

It does indeed. Mind you, if Loser and Pacifist square off, Loser calls upset, and Pacifist plays a Negotiate (because he has no Attack/Morph cards) vs. Loser's Attack Card, Pacifist's power will trigger which makes him win, and therefore, lose. However, because he loses with a Negotiate card, he gets compensation - something Pacifist rarely sees.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS