Good solo variants?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LinkN

LinkN

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 02:12 PM

Looking for a decent solo variant for the game.  Any suggetions?

#2 RoboSheep

RoboSheep

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 05:45 AM

Just off the top of my head and completely untested I'd say try starting with the Crisis countdown at like 20 or so.  Play as normal from there.

#3 LinkN

LinkN

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 02:27 PM

Well, one variant I tried was starting as normal, treating areas as if there were 2 players (start with 2 in play, limit is 4), and if an encounter card would be discarded because it's too high level, a replacement is drawn (and discarded and redrawn as necessary until you get one that can be used).

First problem I noticed was being unable to kill anything.  One character has a very tough time against just about every monster.  So perhaps that part isn't too good.

Another idea, though, is perhaps change the rules for combat: if a fight is lost, the party must make a speed check against the enemy's combat ability.  Failure means that one character dies, in addition to any other bad things that happen as a result (so losing any combat by at least 5 means you lose one character automatically, and may lose a second).

I may have to make some houserules for the "only against players" cards as well...

#4 A Paperback Hero

A Paperback Hero

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 01:45 AM

Like Robosheep said. Play again with an active crisis timer 20 is what I have been doing as well, but to further aid I would suggest removing the pvp type cards from the deck. I have been doing challenge runs solo by mixing the BGaE and SoO character, encounter and advantage cards. Then I removed from the advantage cards any thing that seemed more or less pvp related. I also went though the advantage cards and removed traps and the character card that detects traps. Then I play the game only using BGaE lands and missions. Not as fun as with another player or two, but its great for killing some time.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS