Rate this game

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Knuckles Eki

Knuckles Eki

• Members
  • 640 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:34 AM

I looked at this game, it looks good, but I need ratings from Talisman Veterans, if you can rate these from 1-10 please:

Component Quality (1=very bad, 10=outstanding):

Luck Factor (1=no luck involved, 10=pure luck):

Fun (1=B O R I N G, 10=uber-fun):

Complexity (1=extra simple, 10=very complex):

Replayability (1=play-once-put-away-forever, 10=every game different and new surprises waiting):

And of course, OVERALL RATING (1=very bad, 10=outstanding):

If some people can shine a little thought on these ratings, it would be helpful thanks.

#2 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,292 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:49 AM

Component Quality  (1=very bad, 10=outstanding): 7

I started Talisman with the 2nd ed. (late 80s) and for me cardboards are better. Heck, Arkham Horror works without miniatures. I also preferred the BI version's card size.

Luck Factor (1=no luck involved, 10=pure luck): 8

A lot of rolling, but you also need to plan ahead, looking at things like "if I move there this turn, if I roll X next turn, either choice is bad". Reaper adds another element of planning/luck. Fate nerfs the luck factor, which I don't like. Still, Fate can't touch Adventure card draws, which is where it's at.

Fun (1=B O R I N G, 10=uber-fun): 11

Nuff said !

Complexity (1=extra simple, 10=very complex): 2

Not quite a 1, since there are some timing issues and rule exceptions. But basic principle is roll and move (and have FUN).

Replayability (1=play-once-put-away-forever, 10=every game different and new surprises waiting): 9

Every game feels different, but new surprises eventually run out (there are only so many cards). Then again, I didn't play AH for 6 months prior to getting IH for just this reason, so I guess I'm addicted to new, shiny things to keep me interested .

And of course, OVERALL RATING (1=very bad, 10=outstanding): 10

I'd never turn down a game of Talisman. I know I'm a snappy Arkham Horror player (soloing with 4, 2 hours is starting to get very, very rare). 3-player Talisman takes 1.5h max around here, using standard 7-point trophy rule (might go over that on rare occasions).

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#3 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

• Members
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:45 AM

Dam already gave a nice and reliable overview of the game, I just add my ratings and some extra thoughts.

Component Quality (1=very bad, 10=outstanding): 8

I like miniatures, but the quality of Talisman figures is not as good as in other FFG games (i.e. Descent and World of Warcraft). Cards are colourful but tiny, except Character Cards that are a lot bigger than Black Industries 4th edition. This has been done to help game standardization, but cards look a little bit small on the big board. I like the new board very much, but many old school Talisman fans still prefer 2nd and 3rd edition boards.

Luck Factor (1=no luck involved, 10=pure luck): 2

Luck is essential to win Talisman. I've never seen an unlucky player win this game. Luck is strongly present in the frequent dice rolling and, most notably, in card drawing. You draw bad you lose, you draw good, you have chances to win (if you can take advantage from your luck)

Fun (1=B O R I N G, 10=uber-fun): 8

Talisman is usually very funny if played with 3-4 players. With 5 or 6 there's a good chance that 1 or 2 players can't keep the pace with the others and play out of the big rush for victory. This is not very funny, if you're the unlucky player.

Very simple basic mechanics, even though some rule interpretations are very tricky. But the game is simple at the core; a newbie can win against experienced players, if he does not make big mistakes and is blessed by lady luck..

Replayability (1=play-once-put-away-forever, 10=every game different and new surprises waiting): 10

No game looks like the other game. Too many card/Character/roll combinations to be repetitive.

And of course, OVERALL RATING (1=very bad, 10=outstanding): 9

I strongly recommend this game because it's easy to learn and makes good fun. It's far away from being perfect and there are some better designed games than Talisman; however, it has a good feeling, a rapid pace and lots of possibilities. A classic

#4 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,292 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:03 AM

The_Warlock said:

Luck Factor (1=no luck involved, 10=pure luck): 2

Luck is essential to win Talisman. I've never seen an unlucky player win this game. Luck is strongly present in the frequent dice rolling and, most notably, in card drawing. You draw bad you lose, you draw good, you have chances to win (if you can take advantage from your luck)

Should that number be a 9?

#5 Knuckles Eki

Knuckles Eki

• Members
  • 640 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 11:24 AM

Dam, whichever forum I go to, it looks like I'll see you in it...

I'll let in 1 more ratings before I decide.

#6 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 12:27 PM

Component Quality (1=very bad, 10=outstanding): (Mainboard) 7 ( Dungeon board) 10

The quality is good, and i have no problems with it.

Most of the game, it will depend on luck, but with fate and choosing wich way you want to go,you can decide a little what you want to do.

But this way... each game you play is different, and you never know what for card you will draw on your next turn !

Fun (1=B O R I N G, 10=uber-fun): 10

Complexity (1=extra simple, 10=very complex): 3

Due to the different card combinations, it can make the game more difficult than it is. But a FAQ will soon be made

Replayability (1=play-once-put-away-forever, 10=every game different and new surprises waiting): 10

And of course, OVERALL RATING (1=very bad, 10=outstanding): 9,7

#7 Old Master

Old Master

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:01 PM

Dam said:

Component Quality  (1=very bad, 10=outstanding): 7

I started Talisman with the 2nd ed. (late 80s) and for me cardboards are better. Heck, Arkham Horror works without miniatures. I also preferred the BI version's card size.

A lot of rolling, but you also need to plan ahead, looking at things like "if I move there this turn, if I roll X next turn, either choice is bad". Reaper adds another element of planning/luck. Fate nerfs the luck factor, which I don't like. Still, Fate can't touch Adventure card draws, which is where it's at.

Fun (1=B O R I N G, 10=uber-fun): 11

Nuff said !

Not quite a 1, since there are some timing issues and rule exceptions. But basic principle is roll and move (and have FUN).

Replayability (1=play-once-put-away-forever, 10=every game different and new surprises waiting): 9

Every game feels different, but new surprises eventually run out (there are only so many cards). Then again, I didn't play AH for 6 months prior to getting IH for just this reason, so I guess I'm addicted to new, shiny things to keep me interested .

And of course, OVERALL RATING (1=very bad, 10=outstanding): 10

I'd never turn down a game of Talisman. I know I'm a snappy Arkham Horror player (soloing with 4, 2 hours is starting to get very, very rare). 3-player Talisman takes 1.5h max around here, using standard 7-point trophy rule (might go over that on rare occasions).

Hi Dam,

Didn't you mention a 1 smiley-per-day limit somewhere else?

Gotcha

Cheers

#8 Old Master

Old Master

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:11 PM

To answer this topic,

I've played Talisman since1st edition in the mid 80's and I haven't stop since then, played all edition save 2nd dragon expansion.

I can basically be called a Talismanholics and no rating can compare to around 25 years of playing this game through all editions.

But my bias opinion is get the base game and reaper expansion and become addicted like so many in this forum

Cheers

#9 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,292 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:11 PM

Old Master said:

Hi Dam,

Didn't you mention a 1 smiley-per-day limit somewhere else?

Gotcha

Cheers

Note I didn't specify a number for the daily limit, just a daily limit . For me, two in a post that long is okay, though if that were a more serious post (I mean it is, but more), I'd go no-smileys. For me writing 5 separate lines and ending each with a smiley says l33t ZOMGBBQWTF...

#10 Knuckles Eki

Knuckles Eki

• Members
  • 640 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:05 PM

What are the differences between Talisman 3rd and 4.5th?

#11 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,292 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:19 PM

Knuckles Eki said:

Price for one. 3rd was GW's now OOP version, that also featured more Warhammeresque stuff (which I don't like; I mean, I like WH, but Talisman is Talisman) like Skaven, etc. I've never played the 3rd, saw the articles on it in White Dwarf when it was coming out and it wasn't Talisman as I knew it, so didn't bother with it.

Thus, can't really comment on the gameplay aspect that much. I know experience/trophy rules are different. 3rd also had no Inner Region, but added Dragon Tower later. R4th is a throwback to the 2nd edition, with IMO minor changes. Velhart has played 3rd and can give you a more detailed analysis.

Imagine that, Velhart actually useful for once .

j/k

Though be prepared for Dragon Tower gushing.

#12 Hem

Hem

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 10:05 PM

10, 10, 10, 10 and 10 !

And I promiss I'll read more than the title of your thread, later...

#13 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,292 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 10:10 PM

Hem said:

10, 10, 10, 10 and 10 !

And I promiss I'll read more than the title of your thread, later...

Yeah, probably should. If Talisman is 10 on the complexity scale (with 10 being max), where is AH, 100?

#14 Knuckles Eki

Knuckles Eki

• Members
  • 640 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 11:08 PM

Uber complex, someone says lol.  I don't see anything complex about roll-and-move gameplay.

#15 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 12:09 AM

Knuckles Eki said:

Hi Knuckles,

There is a lot of difference between those 2 editions.

The reason for this is, that the 4th edition main board and rules is based on the 2th edition of Talisman

The Difference is:

- There is no spell limit for casting spells,(3th)

-Toad rules are different( you may not keep the spells if you changed into a toad. (3th)

-Draw card spaces( only the adventure cards are counted how much you can draw.(3th)

- In the order you must encounter the cards( If cards has the same number, you may choose wich one you want to encounter( unless it is a enemy that combines strength or craft etc(3th)

-Death: If you are death, you new character gets all the objects, gold and followers( they are not ditch on your space(3th)

-Swords: if you roll a 1, it is broken(3th)

- There are less draw 2 card spaces in 4th edition (Third edition has changed 2 runes spaces to a draw 2 wildernis space ! very cool 3th

-Inner Region is replaced by the Dragon Tower !  ( maybe it come into the future for 4th edition revised( still possible..)3th

-Chapel changed( no praying)3th

City changed( no enchantress, alchemist or doctor because there are included in the City expansion) There is a market on that space to buy equipment

Tavern changed( New table

Village changed( no blacksmith)  Mystic changed( you can choose if you want to changed( so it's easier)

-No Sentinel( it is replaced by the Toll bridge who looks like the reaper..( you must pay 1 gold to cross

-Name of Portal of Power changed to causeway ( no dice roll to enter the tower.

-Warlock Cave, ( new table) 3th

-No Rafts(3th)

-Bows and Arrows are added to the game( very cool)3th

- New level system( you get experience points for defeating craft or strength enemies/creatures..( for every 7 points, you can choose if you want a Craft or Strength 3th

--------------

#16 Hem

Hem

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 01:08 AM

Alright, alright, because Dam is Damn demanding (never get tired of that joke), or at least damanding (jhehe) I'll do it correctly. But anyway, you shouldn't bother too much, Eki, and buy this DaMn game ! (did it again, see ? see ? I'm damn good, hey.... oooh ! ok I stop)

Component Quality (1=very bad, 10=outstanding): 7 ; but the designs are great, really, nicely old fashioned and great

Luck Factor (1=no luck involved, 10=pure luck): 10.......... ok 9

Fun (1=B O R I N G, 10=uber-fun): 7, and depends on the events and the players (what game isnt like that, though)

Complexity (1=extra simple, 10=very complex): : 3 (although I still fill a bit dumb when it comes about ditching, strangers, how many cards...)

Replayability (1=play-once-put-away-forever, 10=every game different and new surprises waiting): 5 ; take it as a "goose game" in medieval fantasy (sorry, its a very old game and I don't have time to look for how it is entitled in english, everybody knows it anyway) ; make it become a 6, 7, 8, and so on everytime an expansion gets out. Believe me.

And of course, OVERALL RATING (1=very bad, 10=outstanding): : 7 (6.2 but let us say 7 if you wait for the forecoming exps)

GLAD DAM ? Gladam ?

#17 Bonesaw

Bonesaw

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 08:22 AM

Component Quality: 8 The artwork and durability on the board and cards are top notch. If there was a slight complaint it would be that they are a little "busy." I took off a point because I don't like the cones for counting strength/craft/etc. I went back to the squares with numbers and painted them for better clarity.

Luck Factor: 7 A lot of luck is involved, but you know a lot of luck is involed so you alter your strategy accordingly.

Fun: 10 It's the most fun I have ever had playing a board game. Each game is completely different- a blast to see how it unfolds. You can never feel too secure in your position. The precariousness keeps the game exciting, on the edge. 

Complexity: 3 The is more going on with the FF version than in the past. You do need to plan ahead as you move around the board.

Replayability 10: I have been playing Talisman for years and have never grown tired of it.

And of course, OVERALL RATING: 9

#18 Aarontu

Aarontu

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 08:42 AM

Component Quality (1=very bad, 10=outstanding):  8, it looks great and the new art is wonderful, but the cards are small and sort of hard to shuffle (because they're small).

Luck Factor (1=no luck involved, 10=pure luck): 7, Lots of stuff depends on the dice and card draws, but you have to make smart decisions to win. (I have a friend who never has won and I'm certain never will because he just isn't very good at the game). A single turn is dominated by luck, but the overall strategy of the game is of the "push your luck" kind. You have to decide what general area/direction to go and when to go there. The decisions you make on individual turns may not seem to game-changing, but they add up; if you have a goal and work towards it you will probably come out on top.

Fun (1=B O R I N G, 10=uber-fun): 10, if you can enjoy the theme and the feel of the game, and just laugh at the misfortune of others (and yourself) then you'll have a great time

Complexity (1=extra simple, 10=very complex): : 3, not very complex, but there's a lot to keep track of

Replayability: 9 (10 with either expansion), I regularly play this game and my desire to play it has actually increased. The expansions also add a lot more everything, which adds more "replayability". Without any expansions, I was seeing the same adventure cards every game. Now, we barely make it through the first third of the deck!

Overall: 9.5, a favorite of mine

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS