Dang it if TI doesnt ROCK (TalismanIsland) he found my document
THIS IS PRIOR TO FFG, AND PRIOR TO THE ADDITION OF FATE, WHICH BY NOW YA'LL KNOW I HATE! LOL
ok I found the original post: This was a comparison of the Whole Game, not just the board itself.
Topic: Differences between E2 and E4
Posted: 11/Oct/2007 at 09:03
If you are considering purchasing Edition 4, expecting 'Alot' of differences or 'Major' changes, here is what you can look forward to.
(Sorry to skip over E3 but I never played it.)
Please add to this thread any "Differences" that you notice, rules or whatever.
1) Major Difference - Size of the playing board it is 50% Larger, and New Art work.
2) Major Difference - Size of the Adventure, Spell and Purchase cards. They are considerably larger and easier to read (for us Old Farts) and New Art Work.
3) Minor Difference - Plastic 'Counters' for Life, Strength, and Craft, vice cardboard counters. These are a little hard to read, be prepared to purchase WHITE Fingernail Polish or Paint for the numbers, to make them easier for use old farts to read.
4) Minor Difference - Plastic Coins replace bags of gold cardboard counters.
5) Minor Difference - Large, stand up cut outs of the different characters and toads, vice a little paper rectangle.
*RULES and GAME Mechanics*
6) Major Difference - Craft can be gained for every *7* points of craft monsters defeated.
7) Major Difference - Spell Casting Limitations - In their turn, the maximum number of Spells a character may cast is equal to the number of spells, and whichever spells they possessed at the start of that Turn. A Character may only cast one Spell during another Character's Turn. This does not apply to the Command Spell. (If you ALWAYS have a Spell due to the Wand or Ability, you draw your 'new' spell at the end of your turn)
8) Major Difference - Mules are *NO LONGER* OBJECTS, they are considered 'FOLLOWERS' "The mule can carry an extra 4 objects for you while it is your follower. If you lose the mule, you will leave any surplus objects of your choice in the space you are in."
I.E Mules can be 'Mesmerised' by the spell but NOT 'Acquisitioned' by the spell, hence if you win a character to character battle, you can no longer 'take' the mule, as its no longer an object.
8.1) Major Difference - The text "You May visit" on the Village and City is now gone. So you MUST visit one of the three shops, when you land on these spaces.
8.2) Minor Difference - Market Day card now allows everyone to buy from a temporary Market rather than trade with each other.
9) Orb of Knowledge: (Edition 4) "While the Orb of Knowledge is in your possession, it allows you to draw 1 more adventure card than required. you may then discard the one you do not wish to encounter, but you must encounter the other."
-- Nothing mentions only 1 use it *DOES* Differ from Orb of Knowledge (Edition 2) The orb of knowledge has ONE charge (etc)
**Things that didnt change from E2 to E4.**
Most and foremost, the Rules are mostly the same (except for the few I mentioned above) and unfortuately, the same typos and rules that are 'open to debate'.
Edited: to add two more differences, 8.1 and 8.2 (thanks MerricB)
Edited: Removed the note of 2 guide (follower) cards, there were infact 2 guide (follower) cards in E2 (TalismanIsland is *GOD*)
Edited: Added ORB OF KNOWLEDGE Change
I'm so confused...the rules keep changing !