• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 FFG Ross Watson

FFG Ross Watson

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:05 AM

Hello Rogue Trader fans!

This week my designer diary is entirely from my own perspective, some insight into the creation of Rogue Trader. Gen Con is coming soon! 

#2 Peacekeeper_b

Peacekeeper_b

• Members
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:12 AM

A game that has a heavy influence on space travel and star ships and you are cutting the vehicle rules and ship roles?

Sounds illogical, but I will reserve final judge for when  I see what is in the actual book.

#3 N0-1_H3r3

N0-1_H3r3

Former Contributing Freelance Writer

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:28 AM

Peacekeeper_b said:

A game that has a heavy influence on space travel and star ships and you are cutting the vehicle rules and ship roles?

Sounds illogical, but I will reserve final judge for when  I see what is in the actual book.

Given that we've seen part of the starship rules already, I don't think the removal of the vehicle rules (which presumably cover atmospheric and land vehicles, etc, rather than forming part of the more important starship rules) is as huge a deal as it might seem; same with Ship Roles. With Dark Heresy, the Xenos creation rules and a whole chunk of the Corruption rules got cut for space reasons from the rulebook (the former reappearing in the GM's Toolkit, the latter of which never reappeared, sadly), so it's not exactly unprecedented for this kind of project to create more material than can adequately be presented within even a large rulebook. Both seem the kind of thing entirely appropriate for a book analogous to the Inquisitor's Handbook.

Writing Credits for Fantasy Flight Games: Into the Storm, Edge of the Abyss, Battlefleet Koronus, Hostile Acquisitions, Black Crusade Core Rulebook, First Founding, The Jericho Reach, The Soul Reaver, Only War, The Navis Primer and Ark of Lost Souls

#4 FFG Ross Watson

FFG Ross Watson

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:39 AM

To clarify, the "vehicle rules" are just that, the land and atmospheric craft...not the starships!

#5 Peacekeeper_b

Peacekeeper_b

• Members
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:40 AM

N0-1_H3r3 said:

Peacekeeper_b said:

Given that we've seen part of the starship rules already, I don't think the removal of the vehicle rules (which presumably cover atmospheric and land vehicles, etc, rather than forming part of the more important starship rules) is as huge a deal as it might seem; same with Ship Roles. With Dark Heresy, the Xenos creation rules and a whole chunk of the Corruption rules got cut for space reasons from the rulebook (the former reappearing in the GM's Toolkit, the latter of which never reappeared, sadly), so it's not exactly unprecedented for this kind of project to create more material than can adequately be presented within even a large rulebook. Both seem the kind of thing entirely appropriate for a book analogous to the Inquisitor's Handbook.

N0-1_H3r3 said:

Which Im fine with, once they tell us what the release schedule is like. And what books are planned.

#6 Peacekeeper_b

Peacekeeper_b

• Members
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:42 AM

FFG Ross Watson said:

To clarify, the "vehicle rules" are just that, the land and atmospheric craft...not the starships!

Im fine with that. Will the Vehicles Apocrypha be reposted on the web then?

#7 N0-1_H3r3

N0-1_H3r3

Former Contributing Freelance Writer

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 09:01 AM

Peacekeeper_b said:

Which Im fine with, once they tell us what the release schedule is like. And what books are planned.

Which we'll likely get relatively soon. The only reason we knew what the Dark Heresy product lineup was so far in advance was because the rulebook got pushed back, so all the sourcebooks did as well; let them get the rulebook published and on the shelves before anyone but FFG starts concerning themselves with the supplements...

Writing Credits for Fantasy Flight Games: Into the Storm, Edge of the Abyss, Battlefleet Koronus, Hostile Acquisitions, Black Crusade Core Rulebook, First Founding, The Jericho Reach, The Soul Reaver, Only War, The Navis Primer and Ark of Lost Souls

#8 Charax

Charax

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 09:12 AM

ooh, opportunity strikes! *dusts off WiP Vehicle rules from months ago*

so does this mean we won't be seeing any rules for carrying characters over from DH? not even a tiny boxout or appendix? (Rogue Trader was never meant to be just an expansion, but it was always going to have some form of synergy)

#9 LuciusT

LuciusT

• Members
  • 902 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 09:26 AM

You know, I'm disappointed by the loss of Ship Roles. That's really the trouble with hearing about things in development. I hear about these great ideas that then don't make the final cut. I get disappointed about these little things when, really, if I'd never known about them I'd never miss them. I'd try and not read the design diaries but it's like trying to avoid spoilers... they're there, calling you, luring you in.

#10 Psion

Psion

• Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 03:58 PM

Perhaps a little depressing to see what didn't survive the chopping block but ah well, as long as I'm not getting four hundred blank pages I can't really complain.  I'm just now curious to see the release date for the Seneschal's Primer (or whatever they plan on calling the player's handbook.)

#11 Gregorius21778

Gregorius21778

• Members
  • 2,739 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:24 PM

FFG Ross Watson said:

Thanks, Ross.

But one question is left for me:

The DD mentions that there are "no spacecraft rules", either. You already correct that "space combat rules" are indeed inside the book and we all have read the DD about "building your own ship" and have seen sample pages of the crafts... so there must be some "spacecraft rules" inside the book..

As already might see yourself, this is a little confusing. Can you help out some very short notes what is covered by the "not there"-spacecraft rules and what is "not. Like in REALLY-not-there". Thank you!

#12 Rictus

Rictus

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 12:18 AM

So, Ship Roles and Vehicle Rules have been sacrificed.

So I take they will either wind up in a GM's Toolbox or Rogue Trader's Almanac some time around December/January.

However,

"Navigators, Lunar-Class Cruisers, The Harlequins Kiss, Arch-Militant Bodyguards, Explorators with enhanced bionic frames, and Warrants of Renown. The cannibal tribes of the planet Grace and the drifting space-hulk graveyard of the Processional of the Damned."

The Harlequins Kiss? There are Harlequins in the core book?

#13 TorogTarkdacil

TorogTarkdacil

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 12:44 AM

Rictus said:

Well, there are Shuriken weapons in DotDG and you don´t get Eldar,) Overally, I´m disapointed with the direction which RT has taken as I always see it and want to use it as sort of expansion for Dark Heresy. Still I´m looking forward for this, if only for the material I could salvage for Inquisition investigations. New equipment, origins (I hope that death-world presented in Forsaken Bounty is more than just other name for Feral World), Navigators (Wolfblade novel gives me plently of inspiration, now some more lore would help), Astropaths, Explorators and only Emperor know´s what more..

#14 Peacekeeper_b

Peacekeeper_b

• Members
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 01:56 AM

TorogTarkdacil said:

Rictus said:

Well, there are Shuriken weapons in DotDG and you don´t get Eldar,) Overally, I´m disapointed with the direction which RT has taken as I always see it and want to use it as sort of expansion for Dark Heresy. Still I´m looking forward for this, if only for the material I could salvage for Inquisition investigations. New equipment, origins (I hope that death-world presented in Forsaken Bounty is more than just other name for Feral World), Navigators (Wolfblade novel gives me plently of inspiration, now some more lore would help), Astropaths, Explorators and only Emperor know´s what more..

I quite agree, for me it is an expansion to Dark Heresy.

To me, they dont need to repeat all the how to play rules, and therefore would have had room for the stuff they cut. But I understand some people will play this game who never got into Dark Heresy (but I imagine that is a small number).

I hope Ascension does what it needs to to up Dark Heresy to RT levels.

#15 Rictus

Rictus

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 02:38 AM

I was just surprised the Harlequins Kiss got a mention seeing as it more exotic a piece of equipment than a shuriken catapult, thinking the developers would have reserved that for the Craftworld/Codex book on the Eldar down the line which would possibly include coverage of the way of the Harlequin.

Have to admit I am intrigued in how they handle the Navigator, a facet which wasn't explored in DH.

Actually planning on using both DH and RT to complement one another, creating crossovers in both. Surely Ascension would lead to a suitable escalation to RT perhaps even having the guidelines for a fallen acolyte to perhaps step into RT via some conversion, which would be logical.

#16 Psion

Psion

• Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 05:18 AM

Peacekeeper_b said:

To me, they dont need to repeat all the how to play rules, and therefore would have had room for the stuff they cut. But I understand some people will play this game who never got into Dark Heresy (but I imagine that is a small number).

Given how tight money is for some of us, it's probably a larger number then you think.  I can't say the old WoD method of publication is better then the new but in this case, $55 instead of a possible $110  would be easier on the consumer.   Besides, these rules were already ported over to Dark Heresy from Warhammer Fantasy and don't exactly take up that much room (except for skill discriptions, that is easily a chapter.)

#17 Allrab

Allrab

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 09:07 PM

Rictus said:

I do however hope that some of these exotic weapons will be using the same templates as those of [Dark Heresy]. In fact I do hope that [Rogue Trader] will have many things that can be used for [Dark Heresy] too. Previous sneak peaks of the skill trees from [Rogue Trader] here on this site, indicated that there was many similarities. [Rogue Trader] appeared as a natural part of the world that has been presented to us through [Dark Heresy] and also as a natural progression if one would have chosen that. I myself did think that [Rogue Trader] and [Dark Hereys] took place in the same time and space, in the same universe. I guess I have to modify the rules a bit so they fit for my [Dark Heresy] characters.

Anyway, keep up the good work I am sure this corebook will be amazing and I really can not wait until the release.

Thank you Mr Watson for the information.

Allrab

#18 Cynical Cat

Cynical Cat

• Members
  • 642 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 09:54 AM

Rogue traders often use all sorts of exotic and alien weapons.  Having rules for a Harlequin's Kiss doesn't mean that there are Harlequins . . . as cool as those would be.

#19 Psion

Psion

• Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 05:07 PM

Cynical Cat said:

Rogue traders often use all sorts of exotic and alien weapons.  Having rules for a Harlequin's Kiss doesn't mean that there are Harlequins . . . as cool as those would be.

Cool but oh man would those stats be a nightmare to manage.

#20 MKX

MKX

• Members
  • 845 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 04:41 AM

"Navigators. Lunar-class Cruisers. The Harlequin’s Kiss. Arch-Militant bodyguards, Explorators with enhanced bionic frames, and Warrants of Renown. The cannibal tribes of the planet Grace and the drifting space-hulk graveyard of the Processional of the Damned."

...so we're getting a space-based RPG with no infrastructure on starships and command crew? The bold bits I've highlighted as being stuff I can run a space-RPG without, very nice, yes, but its a pretty hard sell trying to convince me they're more important.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS