• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#1 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 12:04 AM

Hi everyone,

I wanted to make a topic, where you can discuss, what your favorite characters are, for playing the 4th revised game.

This is not based on winning( as other topics), but more for which characters you like the most for playing the game.

Which character has a high chance( for you) for playing in the most games.

--------

I have put mine characters in 3 category's

First Choice:

Wizard, Druid, Dark Cultist,Philosopher,Gladiator,Swashbuckler, Prophetess

Second Choice:

Elf, Merchant, Knight, Gypsy,

( Assassin(due for overpowered and boring character)

Third Choice:

Minstrel, Sorceress, Monk, Warrior, Thief, Troll, Priest, Amazone, Dwarf, Sage, Ghoul

PS: some characters from my third choice list can become second choice later..

--------------

#2 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,260 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 12:23 AM

Always random, so I play what I draw (and I have to like it ) . If you really want to make a vote, do something similar to the Investigator and GOO voting over in the AH section.

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#3 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 01:03 AM

Dam said:

Always random, so I play what I draw (and I have to like it ) . If you really want to make a vote, do something similar to the Investigator and GOO voting over in the AH section.

Hi Dam,

I play random too ( draw 3 characters, and choose one)

But that is not what the topic is about

This is about characters who you like the most in Talisman. This can be.. the character itself + the abilities attach to it

#4 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,260 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 01:10 AM

Velhart said:

I play random too ( draw 3 characters, and choose one)

That's just semi-random . Too much choice for my taste in that option.

Just saying that with a vote you get a final list at the end, instead of X lists from X people.

#5 Mattr0polis

Mattr0polis

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 03:29 AM

TROLL!!

Yeah, the Troll has always been my favorite, though I also really like the Gladiator.

#6 Msrushing

Msrushing

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 03:35 AM

swashbuckler all the way!

#7 Hem

Hem

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 09:06 PM

Love and Hate the Ministrel. Love because everytime, my woman picks it up, and has the incredible luck to be followed by the WHOLE MENAGERIE of talisman's world ! Hate....... because she always picks it up before me !!!

#8 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 10:12 PM

Hem said:

Love and Hate the Ministrel. Love because everytime, my woman picks it up, and has the incredible luck to be followed by the WHOLE MENAGERIE of talisman's world ! Hate....... because she always picks it up before me !!!

haha

I have not play with the Minstrel yet, because i have not draw him yet

But i think it's a funny guy to play with, if you can charm a lot of animals

Have she ever tried to charm a Mammoth?

#9 Tooky

Tooky

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 07:16 AM

Although we play with shuffling the character deck and dealing 1 character a person. If i had the choice or characters i am most excited about getting it would be as follows.

First Choice: I have to go with the Minstrel. Definately fun. Specially with all the new animals in the expansions....little more to it than praying you draw the one and only 4str serpent in the base deck.  5 fate makes things go a lot smoother too.

Second Choice: Prophetess, sure shes weak, craft based, and cannot engage in psychic combat, but with her innate Orb of Knowledge ability you can dictate your life losses early in the game, meaning  and grab weak trophies and ditch the over powering monsters that make any first few turn characters shiver.

Third Choice: Priest, again weak, craft based, but with the reaper expansion you will find far more craft critters to turn undead on, so if managed properly you have you full compliment of spells all the time, or atleast close to. The other thing as it was stated in a post before...the Priest isnt considered a threat...much like the elf (who is amazingly bad unless you get something like a shrine drawn out on the woods) so you are very rarely the target of ill effects unless, which we see quite often in our games. You've been shady and made another player hold a grudge on you

Now despite the post saying your favorites I must add this thought that almost all experianced talisman players will agree with, atleast the good ones will.

Least favorite...Dark Cultist, we have banned this character from our games, as out of our 30ish game with her being randomly dealt (we play a with 4-8 players daily) she won 90%. The ability to recieve a gift every time you so much as wink is just unacceptable and if you think this character is in balance with everyone else, you sir are mistaken, sure many characters are better than others but this one is just way over the curve. Final thoughts, the dark cultist should only be used if you have a person whos never played talisman before playing with a group of experianced players, in which case they will probably win even though they have no idea whats going on.

#10 The Sorcerer King

The Sorcerer King

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 01:38 PM

Necromancer, all the way.

Was the ghoul up until they announced the Necro in Frostmarch. I thought it was cool how the necromancer could command spirits in 1st edition, and wonder what his powers will be like now.

After that, merchant, sage, and wizard are all some of my favourites.

#11 Old Master

Old Master

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 02:02 PM

Humm..

My favorite to draw is the Chaos Warrior but if we talk about 4er then The Wizard is a good one

Cheers,

#12 Thernand

Thernand

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 02:57 PM

The Knight for me!!!!

Everytime I have gotten him I have won the game.

#13 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 10:59 PM

First Choice:

Second Choice:

Merchant, Knight, Gypsy,

Third Choice:

Minstrel, Sorceress, Monk, Priest, Warrior, Thief, Troll, , Elf, Amazone, Dwarf, Sage, Ghoul

( i have put the Elf in my third choice list now..

I don't like him so much..

#14 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,260 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 12:09 AM

Velhart said:

Third Choice:

Minstrel, Sorceress, Monk, Priest, Warrior, Thief, Troll, , Elf, Amazone, Dwarf, Sage, Ghoul

Crazy person. Thief #1 ! Thief + Village = Mule-army. Then just follow people and steal everything they got and/or stuff they drop because they are limited to just 4 Objects. Thief in the game ups the tension level for all characters involved. And for the Thief, there is the constant threat of people running at you, trying to take you out. Dull moments in a game with Thief are few and far between (most of them should be early on when nobody has much/any stuff to take).

#15 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 12:12 AM

Dam said:

Velhart said:

Third Choice:

Crazy person. Thief #1 ! Thief + Village = Mule-army. Then just follow people and steal everything they got and/or stuff they drop because they are limited to just 4 Objects. Thief in the game ups the tension level for all characters involved. And for the Thief, there is the constant threat of people running at you, trying to take you out. Dull moments in a game with Thief are few and far between (most of them should be early on when nobody has much/any stuff to take).

Hi Dam,

I have not play with the Thief yet, so i have put him in my third choice list..

This goes also for the others except Dwarf , Elf and Troll..

#16 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,260 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 12:23 AM

Sage would be one of my last picks, but only because he has dominated the game. Priest I wouldn't pick ever, but random solves that issue. Philosopher is now 0-3 with 2 mid-game deaths, so he (rulesheet refers to the Philosopher as he, guess it's a he then) is looking to emulate the Sorceress in losses and deaths. Both of his deaths have been PvP, killed by Assassin and Monk. Incidentally, today he died and was reborn as the Prophetess, not that much of a gender-bender TBH .

#17 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

• Members
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 09:36 AM

These are my current rankings. As you see they are mostly based on Character flavour than effective winning scores. Just to tell it straight away, in two years I've played about 40 games of Talisman and got only one victory, with the Wizard drawn as a replacement. Since Revised 4th edition has been published I'm the best candidate for 2nd place; first to the Crown and can't win the game in 10-12 rounds of Command Spell, or second to the Crown but unable to win at last (best game was with the Sorceress, when I killed 3 Characters on the Crown and then surrendered to a slow and bulky Knight).

First Choice (Characters I play very comfortable with):

Druid, Sorceress, Swashbuckler, Wizard (W)

Second Choice (Characters I like to play, but not my best):

Dwarf, Ghoul, Merchant, Minstrel

Third Choice (Characters I've felt uncomfortable with, for many different reasons, but mostly because I don't like how you have to play them):

Assassin, Priest, Prophetess, Sage, Thief, Troll, Warrior

Fourth choice (Characters I deem to be difficult to play or substantially weak):

Elf, Monk, Philosopher (must say these are stronger in 2 player games than in bigger games)

Never played:

Amazon, Dark Cultist, Gladiator, Gypsy, Knight

#18 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,260 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 09:42 AM

Philosopher is good at pissing people off as well (not as well as the Thief though). Just zap away all the faceup Enemies you can't handle to deny others the trophies. Phantom or Fairy hits, remove it before the Evil/Good character gets the benefit. Bought a Mule (or more) at Market, remove it and watch others juggle with the 4 Object limit. Knight/Monk/Priest in the game, I'd definately remove Idol from the Outer Region. Of course, that will see people pissed off at you, so be prepared to run like the wind !

#19 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 11:14 PM

I want to make a wider selection instead of only 3 category's..

First Choice:

Second Choice:

Merchant, Knight, Gypsy,

Third Choice:

Minstrel, Sorceress, Monk, Warrior, Thief, Troll, Priest,  Sage,

Fourth Choice:

Dwarf, Amazone

Fifth Choice

Ghoul

PS: some characters from my third choice list can become second choice later

#20 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,260 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 11:59 PM

Urgh, the Sorceress keeps getting worse, 0-10 now, with 5 mid-game deaths .

Priest, who replaced her, went just off the wall, his kills included a Giant and 2x Dragons. Kills in battle I might add, none of that Spell crap. Priest ended with Str 15!!! Sadly, against most other characters, this would've seen him march to the Crown and challenge the character there, but the Gladiator with Str 13 + weapon + Gauntlets of Might + 7 Followers (including 2 that also boosted him in battle), yeah, Str 15 wasn't anywhere near enough. And the Gladiator even lost his first batch of Followers (3x Mule and Unicorn) to the Dungeon Keeper. Even though the Gladiator is now 2-3, he has in each game been Crown-ready, twice getting stalled at Dice with Death. It's just SO easy to get him Followers that are normally useless (Guide, Riding Horse, Prince, Princess, etc.) and keep kicking ass in battle. And even if he happens to lose to a Creature, the Followers remain, they only go away if he loses to another character.

Gladiator and Swashbuckler are both starting to get old and fast.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS