Jump to content



Photo

Dismantling the models or removing the brown blob pilots


  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Roger_Wilco

Roger_Wilco

    Member

  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 05:39 PM

Hi everybody

Has anybody attempted to dismantel any of the Series2 or 3 modles yet? Or has anyone atleast successfully removed the brown pilot blobs?

I am considering adding Peter Pig pilots to my Sopwith Snipes prior to repainting and converting 6 of them to 4 AFC markings using the soon to be released decal sheet by Doms Decals. 

So if anyone has done some major surgery on any of their planes or just dremelled out the pilots I'd love to hear about what you uncovered before I tackle it myself.

 



#2 The Sundance Kid

The Sundance Kid

    Member

  • Members
  • 530 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 07:07 AM

I have never taken out the pilots, but I am taking apart a fokker VII to make a fokker V.23 for what if and pulp fiction games.



#3 kaufschtick

kaufschtick

    Member

  • Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 04:41 PM

Roger_Wilco said:

Hi everybody

Has anybody attempted to dismantel any of the Series2 or 3 modles yet? Or has anyone atleast successfully removed the brown pilot blobs?

I am considering adding Peter Pig pilots to my Sopwith Snipes prior to repainting and converting 6 of them to 4 AFC markings using the soon to be released decal sheet by Doms Decals. 

So if anyone has done some major surgery on any of their planes or just dremelled out the pilots I'd love to hear about what you uncovered before I tackle it myself.

 

I haven't tried anything of that sort myself, but I think you hit the nail on the head, IMHO, when you said dremel.

 



#4 Pour Le Merite

Pour Le Merite

    Member

  • Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 09:35 AM

Isn't it easier to just buy a few metal ones instead? They cost just 4 pounds each and are easy to convert. Save the nice Wow planes as they are instead.

Here is a picture of my pilots current plane, a modded Pfalz EIV in combat with a Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter (From Skytrex.com):



#5 csadn

csadn

    Member

  • Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 09:43 PM

Pour Le Merite said:

Here is a picture of my pilots current plane, a modded Pfalz EIV in combat with a Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter (From Skytrex.com):

Um -- I think the British plane is an Airco DH2, or RAF FE2B -- the 1&1/2 didn't have the engine in the back.... :)



#6 Roger_Wilco

Roger_Wilco

    Member

  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 07:33 PM

Isn't it easier to just buy a few metal ones instead? They cost just 4 pounds each and are easy to convert. Save the nice Wow planes as they are instead.

Two reasons really

The first is that I have already got six copies of the models of the planes and the squadron decal sheet is designed specifically for that model.

The second is that personally I think that Skytex models are really nasty. That is one company that really needs to have a good hard look at themself. In my book they either need to re do everything they produce to a 21st century standard or just retire. If they did the later I am sure that someone else would soon pick up the ball and fill the void with a better product. The worlds moved on from HG Wells Little wars cast your own low quality soldiers

Four pounds equals about $8-10 Australian plus the expensive postage rates from that company means its not going to happen. I bought two of their Bristol Fighters and was appalled at the poor quality of the detail, the casting was crude the shape looks all wrong and it took hours to get them looking nearly right. Then don't get me started about the time it took to arrive in the mail after payment (6 weeks) . I buy my models from a US seller on Ebay he consistantly gets the models to me within 5 working days.To top it off the pair of Bristols cost me nearly $30 Aus, I can get three WoW models for that price incuding postage.  The WoW models are consistant and look great enmass and they are robust, the Bristols are always at risk of getting squashed.

Skytrex? No thanks



#7 Pour Le Merite

Pour Le Merite

    Member

  • Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 08:43 PM

csadn: Sorry, you can't see the 1 1/2, the picture got a bit bigger than I thought it would be. right click on it and choose "show picture". It is indeed a Tommy in a DH2 in the right corner.

Roger Wilco: I personally think they look comparible but you could by from Reviresco or www.modelimex.com/Seznam.aspx this place instead, Reviresco takes 8 bucks each however and the resin models after are even more expensive but the detail level is actually better then on the Wow planes then.

As for the postage it do tend to get expensive if you are only buying 2 or 3 planes but we usually get a bunch together and then it costs less. I like the Wow planes myself but I rather use an unpainted plane when I do my custom planes.

I don't really see any problem with removing the pilots of your planes however as long as you are very careful I do agree that you might have to do some repainting also if you own that many, the Wow planes are nicely painted but having more than one looking the same in a huge combat do tend to be confusing.

You might BTW find this page helpful: military-machine.blogspot.com/ , at least if you have a hard time finding pictures to base your paint jobs on.



#8 csadn

csadn

    Member

  • Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 08:47 PM

Pour Le Merite said:

csadn: Sorry, you can't see the 1 1/2, the picture got a bit bigger than I thought it would be. right click on it and choose "show picture". It is indeed a Tommy in a DH2 in the right corner.

*Left* corner. :)

Also: The 1&1/2 had a two-blade prop, not a four-blade. But that's nit-picking on my part. :)



#9 Pour Le Merite

Pour Le Merite

    Member

  • Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 09:01 PM

csadn said:

Pour Le Merite said:

 

csadn: Sorry, you can't see the 1 1/2, the picture got a bit bigger than I thought it would be. right click on it and choose "show picture". It is indeed a Tommy in a DH2 in the right corner.

 

 

*Left* corner. :)

Also: The 1&1/2 had a two-blade prop, not a four-blade. But that's nit-picking on my part. :)

You are right, there was some experiments with 4 blades but almost all had 2. I should have modded it but havn't got the time, still should do some more Nieuport 16s also... Few planes during WW1 had more prop blades than 2.



#10 The Sundance Kid

The Sundance Kid

    Member

  • Members
  • 530 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 09:55 AM

 

 

Fixed your image



#11 csadn

csadn

    Member

  • Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 09:51 PM

Pour Le Merite said:

You are right, there was some experiments with 4 blades but almost all had 2. I should have modded it but havn't got the time,

Unfortunately, it's my experience that 4-blade props inevitably "modify" themselves to 2-blade -- usually with the blades at 90-degree-angles to each other.... :P



#12 Pour Le Merite

Pour Le Merite

    Member

  • Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 03:38 PM

csadn said:

Pour Le Merite said:

 

You are right, there was some experiments with 4 blades but almost all had 2. I should have modded it but havn't got the time,

 

 

Unfortunately, it's my experience that 4-blade props inevitably "modify" themselves to 2-blade -- usually with the blades at 90-degree-angles to each other.... :P

Well, I think I have solved that by using a box for screws nails and stuff with cotton in the bottom and on top of the planes. It really protect both the metal and plastic planes very well.

I could post a picture if you want to :) Of course accidents during play is another matter...



#13 csadn

csadn

    Member

  • Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 08:24 PM

Pour Le Merite said:

I could post a picture if you want to :)

Offsite, of course. :)






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS