Thinking about picking this up..

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Master of R'lyeh

Master of R'lyeh

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 05:22 PM

Is it any fun, the art looks amazing.  If I get it should I grab all the expansion (they are on sale, so why not).  I play call of cthulhu can magic does it share any similar mechanics.  Any info/opinions  one might have please share with me so I can make a decision before the sale is over.  Thanks in advanced.

#2 ced1106

ced1106

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 05:50 PM

fwiw, This is definitely a favorite on the BoardGameGeek site.

#3 Master of R'lyeh

Master of R'lyeh

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 06:27 PM

Yeah.. I was gleeming the reviews, still uncertain.

#4 ColtsFan76

ColtsFan76

Rules Guru

• Members
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 01:39 PM

I picked it up when it was cheap on Tanga.com.  You'll still need to get the base game and the Pillar expansion.  It's a good game that even my wife enjoyed though she was reluctant at first.

#5 frouvne

frouvne

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 06:00 AM

Master of R'lyeh said:

Is it any fun, the art looks amazing.  If I get it should I grab all the expansion (they are on sale, so why not).  I play call of cthulhu can magic does it share any similar mechanics.  Any info/opinions  one might have please share with me so I can make a decision before the sale is over.  Thanks in advanced.

The artwork IS amazing, IMHO. I think it is a great game. I do know a couple of people that have played a lot of MtG, that have been a bit disappointed since it is a different game experience. You don't need to get all the expansions, though I do recommend that you grab at least a few to get some variety. If the price is right you should indeed grab them all.

#6 Amitloaf

Amitloaf

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 08:57 PM

What expansions should i get then?

#7 Wild-Duck

Wild-Duck

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:24 PM

I would recommend getting the Flit and the Khind as they are alot of fun to play. If the sale is having them at really cheap prices I would get them all as you would then be able make up some iteresting decks with which to play.

#8 kilrah

kilrah

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:28 PM

Amitloaf said:

What expansions should i get then?

What style of play do you prefer? What cards do you like most? Do you prefer power or tricks?...

#9 Lars

Lars

• Members
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 06:05 AM

frouvne said:

The artwork IS amazing, IMHO.

have to ditto this. I'd only heard good things about the art and was still amazed when i picked the game up. There is also something to be said about internal consistency in the art from deck to deck. In A ame of thrones I have a couple artists that i really like and it would be cool to see them get free reign over a house or expansion.

#10 Shnik

Shnik

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 11:11 AM

How much do the Emissaries & Inquisitors add-ons really add to the game?  And are they worth it even if I don't have all the "race" add-ons?

#11 kilrah

kilrah

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 10:40 PM

Again pretty much depends on personal preference. If you like constructed decks they are a must. If you only play with the presoreted ones I'd get all other decks before (including Buka).

Basically 6 things are added:

* Inquisitors - cards that allow for more varied deck design (upto 45 cards, permanent effects)

* Tutu - cards that have a cost to play (or have in play)

* Hyla - cards that stay active until the enemy plays a Hyla himself (so they can stay for longer then a single fight)

* Crystals - cards that allow you to score higher then 4 points for a single game (valuable in 5 crystal games)

* Leadership cards that have 0 cost, but always affect both players equally

* cards that allow you to interfere in the pay of your opponent, like discarding the char he just played.

There are also 3 new cards for each people deck, some of them quite interesting.

#12 capi-chou

capi-chou

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 01:52 AM

You like Magic? Forget Blue Moon. Knizia made some good games: not this one. It's almost as uninteresting as Ivanhoe/Camelot.

#13 TheDukester

TheDukester

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 11:10 AM

capi-chou said:

You like Magic? Forget Blue Moon. Knizia made some good games: not this one. It's almost as uninteresting as Ivanhoe/Camelot.

Two of my favorite games mentioned in one short post.

Thank God we can all choose for ourselves, huh?

#14 KONRAD

KONRAD

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 11:20 AM

like alot of his games.(Knizia)

#15 Hem

Hem

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:43 PM

You serious, capichou ? I was thinking about that game for my woman, often interested by fantasy and all. But I hated Camelot for it was boring, wordy and full of promises, broken in the end. A boring and disguised poker, that's what I thought. And terrible texts, as the original french version sucks, in my humble opinion. You serious when you compare these games ? That would prevent me from buying it. Any advice from anybody else ? It is not a collectible cards game, is it ? I asked everybody to describe me Blue Moon City in another thread, I'll ask for the same here : please ? :)

#16 Madboyo

Madboyo

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:00 PM

TheDukester said:

capi-chou said:

Two of my favorite games mentioned in one short post.

Thank God we can all choose for ourselves, huh?

Thank god we all have different tastes.

#17 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2011 - 01:26 PM

looks like an intereting game , but i refuse to buy into another game byanyone who would stoop to working for wizkids , if they work for wizkids , they obviously dont measure up to anything really worthwhile .

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS