Photo

So what are Universal Weapons Proficiencies?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Salcor

Salcor

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 07:13 AM

So looking at the explorator class it was listed as having melee, basic, and pistol weapon proficiency (Universial).   So did they change weapons proficiencies to make characters proficient in all weapons (so anyone who can shoot a stubpistol can also shoot a laspistol or a boltpistol?)

Salcor

The meek shall truly inherit the Earth

because that is where they will be buried

#2 darkstar952

darkstar952

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 07:56 AM

I'm guessing it may just be the explorator, it kinda makes sense that tech-priests are skilled in the weapons they have knowledge of producing.

But i guess only time will tell.

#3 Reason

Reason

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 08:43 AM

It's a proficiency in the new type of weapon known collectively as Universals. They're very powerful, as you might expect. Nothing like expanding the lore...

#4 Brother Praetus

Brother Praetus

• Members
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 09:25 AM

Salcor said:

So looking at the explorator class it was listed as having melee, basic, and pistol weapon proficiency (Universial).   So did they change weapons proficiencies to make characters proficient in all weapons (so anyone who can shoot a stubpistol can also shoot a laspistol or a boltpistol?)

Salcor

That would be my take on it with no additional information with which to postulate.

Basic Weapon Training - Universal - 500xp; gets you Bolt, Flame, Las, Launcher, Melta, Plasma, Primitive, and Solid Projectile trainning for Basic weapon types.  But again,  just my interpretation.  We will know once the book is released.

-=Brother Praetus=-

"Truth is so rare it must be protected by a bodyguard of lies."

- Fortune Cookie

#5 dvang

dvang

• Members
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 08:44 AM

I agree with Brother Praetus.  I expect it is a means of getting multi-weapon talents in a single 'package' buy.  Cheaper overall, but still a good chunk of xp to spend.

#6 Cynical Cat

Cynical Cat

• Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 09:51 AM

It's simpler and saves space on your character sheet to have the common weapon categories grouped into one category instead of five different weapon proficiencies. 

#7 Santiago

Santiago

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 08:20 AM

The reason is probably that Rogue Trader characters because they go on very extreme mission are trained in a lot of different weapons,
It also saves space for all the cool nifty Xenos weapons youll get your hands on...

#8 Rawrster

Rawrster

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:28 PM

It seems like a pretty resonable inclusion to make, assuming it works as expected.

#9 MILLANDSON

MILLANDSON

Playtester

• Members
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 10:26 AM

Aye, looks good to me!

~Yea, Tho I Walk Through The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil~

Posts/views/opinions are in no way representative of FFG, and are entirely my own.

#10 Gregorius21778

Gregorius21778

• Members
  • 2,807 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 08:49 PM

Well, I guess it is a "round up" of

- Solid Projectile
- Las weapons
- Bolters

At leat, this is how I would handle it. This three types are kind simliar. Plasma would be it will, but hey: "Plasma is Plasma" and stuff. It HAS to be extra ^^.

If it is a "all-in-one" affair...howda! The DH-players will moan and scream about this! Especially those with a IG background..

#11 Terelo

Terelo

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 01:22 AM

I think Brother Praetus is right. The explorator might be a kind of mechanicus guy who can handle all weapons the mechanicus is able to produce, maybe even the exotic class. The big question is: Does it also cover xeno weaponry?

Gregorius21778 said:

If it is a "all-in-one" affair...howda! The DH-players will moan and scream about this! Especially those with a IG background..

The discussion about RT characters being uber powerful is the wrong way round. Rogue Trader in comparison will show us that low level acolytes are basically just imperial citizens. They suck, Rogue Traders don't. Even those players who have not yet understood this, will hopefully recognize it.

#12 N0-1_H3r3

N0-1_H3r3

Former Contributing Freelance Writer

• Members
  • 3,330 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 01:50 AM

Terelo said:

Rogue Trader in comparison will show us that low level acolytes are basically just imperial citizens.

Except that they're not. We've seen what Imperial Citizens look like - the masses of ratings mentioned in the RT preview adventure, and the Citizen stats in the DH Rulebook show that even a basic 400xp Acolyte is still a few steps above and beyond the common masses.

Writing Credits for Fantasy Flight Games: Into the Storm, Edge of the Abyss, Battlefleet Koronus, Hostile Acquisitions, Black Crusade Core Rulebook, First Founding, The Jericho Reach, The Soul Reaver, Only War, The Navis Primer,Ark of Lost Souls, and Hammer of the Emperor

I no longer write for, or am employed by, Fantasy Flight Games in any fashion. All of my comments are my own, and do not reflect the opinions of any employer, past, present, or future.

#13 ThenDoctor

ThenDoctor

• Members
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 04:17 AM

well the DH players will quit "moaning" when they get Asencion (sp?) and their alcolytes get a shot of imperial rank steroids so they will probably be on par with the weaker RT characters but they have to remember that RT is a bump up from DH the stuffs gonna be a bit more out there and all RT players just wait until Death Watch comes out and you get to deal with space marines and tyranids hehehe

I've made an expanded Divination table for Dark Heresy Second Edition.Find it here: 

http://community.fan...general-thread/

#14 Brother Praetus

Brother Praetus

• Members
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 11:37 PM

ThenDoctor said:

well the DH players will quit "moaning" when they get Asencion (sp?) and their alcolytes get a shot of imperial rank steroids so they will probably be on par with the weaker RT characters but they have to remember that RT is a bump up from DH the stuffs gonna be a bit more out there and all RT players just wait until Death Watch comes out and you get to deal with space marines and tyranids hehehe

Funny thing, I don't really see any of us DH players "moaning about inequity," least, not those of us who have been paying attention to the fact that RT was meant to be "more powerful."  It has pretty much been stated that each game is a stepping stone of power with varying focus.  Something akin to SCION with its HERO, DEMIGOD, GOD source books; power and scope change.

I look forward to both RT and Ascension for differing reasons.

-=Brother Praetus=-

"Truth is so rare it must be protected by a bodyguard of lies."

- Fortune Cookie

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS