Photo

What kind of expansion you want the least?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Old Master

Old Master

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 07:39 AM

Hi,

Which type of expansion would you least like to see, don't consider previous edition expansion only! Basically, what kind of theme for an expansion would leave you cold or you would not consider buying? 

A "western or far-west" theme would be the one for me, it would stay on the shelve. No cowboy or indian for my Talisman

Cheer

#2 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,921 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:38 AM

Anything too modern.

I don't mind a bit of technology, but I would prefer it limited to clockwork things or steam power... or even magic!

I also wouldn't really like anything too heavily themed on other cultures, like the Far East and such. I wouldn't mind if we had a ronin or an odd asagai wielding tribesman in the land of Talisman, but just one or two dotted around...

Harbourmaster at Talisman Island - 15 magical years and counting!

Sometimes I even update the Talisman Island Facebook Page!

#3 Feldrik

Feldrik

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 03:00 AM

I agree with Talismanisland. Cultural crossovers need a reason. If an Asian or African themed board was added than the characters would have a reason to be there.

It would be easier to just have artists draw on the diversity of races and put them in the generic fantasy milieu of Talisman rather than sticking in a 'Ninja" cause they are kewl or in vouge.

The same with tech stuff. Right now '30s era pulp is popoular in gaming, don't shoe horn something in to appeal to a trend or nich market.

#4 JCHendee

JCHendee

• Members
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 02:26 AM

I would say the City, as it was, would be the one I wouldn't buy. Particularly for those master level characters, so easily acquired, that through game balance out the window. The board itself was okay in a geneal way.

#5 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 06:41 AM

Everything that has not to do with fantasy or middle age

i don't want to much technology in Talisman( example= timescape)

But the City is also not a favorite of mine ! ( But if FFG makes it, i buy it

They must include more things in the city to make it more interesting.

#6 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 10:55 PM

Old Master said:

A "western or far-west" theme would be the one for me, it would stay on the shelve. No cowboy or indian for my Talisman

Cheer

Hi Old Master,

I was wondering about something..

If the Cowboy or Indian Brave character will show up in these editions, are you then gonna put those two also on the shelve..?  

#7 Old Master

Old Master

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 03:06 AM

Velhart said:

Hi Old Master,

If the Cowboy or Indian Brave character will show up in these editions, are you then gonna put those two also on the shelve..?  

Hi Velhart,

Hope you had a nice holiday and lots of time to play Talisman.

As for a far west theme expansion I stand by what I said previously, I would not purchase it and character like indians and cowboys would be banned from my game if they showed up in the city expansion for example.

There is still so many types and genre closer to the Talisman world that haven't shown up yet.

At heart, I am no absolute game completist and I do prefer to "tweak" game to my liking by purchasing multiple expansions that I can homebrew and add some houserule where neccessary and to the satisfaction of the group in play.

Cheers

#8 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 03:19 AM

Old Master said:

Velhart said:

Hi Old Master,

Hi Velhart,

Hope you had a nice holiday and lots of time to play Talisman.

As for a far west theme expansion I stand by what I said previously, I would not purchase it and character like indians and cowboys would be banned from my game if they showed up in the city expansion for example.

There is still so many types and genre closer to the Talisman world that haven't shown up yet.

At heart, I am no absolute game completist and I do prefer to "tweak" game to my liking by purchasing multiple expansions that I can homebrew and add some houserule where neccessary and to the satisfaction of the group in play.

Cheers

Oke, i understand

Anyway, i think we don't have to worry about it, because i discovered that they are not officially made for 2th edition.

It was written in the expert book, but they are fake, and made by the creator of that book

PS: Yes, i did have a nice holiday, but did not play talisman actually..

I visit my parents on that day

-------

PS: have you look at the other topics?

i have reply to your text etc

#9 Khornemunster

Khornemunster

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:28 PM

I agree with Velhart,

I think that futuristic tech or even that of modern doesn't fit with the fantasy theme of talisman. Does a knight fighting a futuristic commando really make sense??

#10 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:15 PM

I'm definitely not creating a Cowboy or Indian Brave now, as I agree about not having a wild west theme to an expansion.

100% no TIMESCAPE sci-fi theme or a high tech theme!!!

Ell.

#11 Windyhead

Windyhead

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:16 PM

Khornemunster said:

I agree with Velhart,

I think that futuristic tech or even that of modern doesn't fit with the fantasy theme of talisman. Does a knight fighting a futuristic commando really make sense??

No way.

#12 Windyhead

Windyhead

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:28 PM

Anybody know something about new expansion ?

#13 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:32 PM

Well it's probably going to be a big box Forest Expansion or a big box City Expansion!

Ell.

#14 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:17 AM

Khornemunster said:

I agree with Velhart,

To be fair, there are genres within genres, sub -genres within… etc.

For example, one of the most beloved, awarded science fiction writer, Andre Norton, wrote the incredible Witch World series, which is basically a medieval-ish fantasy world. But right from the beginning, people from "real Earth" (it is unknown what planet the Witch World actually is)  travel through 'gates' or portals that seem equally tech or fantasy, clearly not necessarily one or the other. Several novels into the series some characters travel from the Witch World to a desolated and destroyed future world - clearly not their own, ever.

But on the whole, I agree with a previous poster who indicated that perhaps the stray character or two is okay, unless of course an actual board "explains" the relationship *in-world* between the other/main boards and one that seems discordant.

I think I too would not buy a board/expansion that featured the American Wild West, but I would be okay if future sets included 2, maybe 3 cards that appear to be time travelers, that came to the T world. Since many encounter cards have the exit out(discard) once an effect has happened, these cards wouldn't dramatically alter the game..

example: If a time traveler shows up (kind of like the Dr.Who-ish person in the old Timescape), maybe he offers to change the day/night card to the character's preference.  Maybe another type of time traveler can alter alignments. Another could remove, enhance, or alter dragon scales.

Maybe another time traveler, as your companion, or some device he gives… could allow a player to pick a different alt. ending? (only when hidden are used?).

I'm sorta different from many posters here; I would like to see MORE integration between elements of the various expansions.

I want to find secret Keys (trinkets, basically) that allow you to find secret passages to take you from the Castle to the Dungeon, or the Chapel to somewhere else. Things like that. Maybe there could be other kinds of quests with other rewards? Encounter cards that 'give' an obligation to take certain objects to certain places, to receive new rewards or enhancements. Okay, thats what I want, but I guess I mostly agree with everyone, just a little is okay.

-Oberon

#15 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:57 AM

talismanamsilat said:

Well it's probably going to be a big box Forest Expansion or a big box City Expansion!

Ell.

I really can't wait! I'm in awe of what ever big box they do. I've never seen/played a Forest set before; I've only played the long ago 2nd edition. City, if updated neatly, would be great too.

-Oberon

#16 Smairn

Smairn

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:28 AM

Some kind of zombie apcolyps ending might be quite fun. 

I can see them making a vampire expansion as well.

#17 Khornemunster

Khornemunster

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:57 AM

Smairn said:

Some kind of zombie apcolyps ending might be quite fun. 

I can see them making a vampire expansion as well.

I like the idea of a zombie apocalypse type alternate ending.  Maybe it could come in a undead expansion that adds a type of dark citedel or crypt board that connects onto the graveyard corner of the main board.

#18 kamaglione

kamaglione

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:13 AM

I think it could be interesting something connected with water… maybe connected with the Storm River source. Enemies could be mermaids, tritons, but also octopus, krakens and sharks. 

#19 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:34 AM

I definitely wouldn't go for this 'Timescape' stuff, or any Wild West or Steampunk expansion. If I don't want to play fantasy, I don't play Talisman.

And there are so many possibilities, as you guys say: ocean, crypt, swamp, maybe even some kind of crazy volcano sort of thing… just keep it fantasy! 

#20 Tertius

Tertius

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:16 AM

What I want the least is an expansion that burdens the game with more mechanics.

I like the Reaper, as it is minimally invasive: Roll a 1? Move the reaper. Done.  I understand the werewolf is similar, but with night/day.  Those are fine.

The dragon expansion stretches my tolerance for mechanics in Talisman.  Somehow remembering to pull a scale token every turn is an extra timesink for me, not to mention the "what now" effect. I'm sure it will become rote and take less time with more plays, but it is just enough. Talisman, to me, should be a simple as roll, draw a card or two, do what they say, pass the dice.

I'm ok with more mechanics that are built into the cards. Please no more expansions that add mechanics to the turn.

As for themes, I liked Timescape, and wouldn't mind it.  I actually like the suggestion of a chaos expansion, rather than timescape.

I agree Wild West would be offputting, as would any non-fantastical theme.  That said, I wouldn't mind a few out-of-place-and-time characters to have fallen into the magical world of Talisman, just for fun.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS