Jump to content



Photo

Targatell


  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 WWDrakey

WWDrakey

    Member

  • Members
  • 434 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 09:45 AM

Has anyone tried building a Targaryen deck with the Martell treaty?

Just started thinking, after reading all the posts on MwNK, and other stuff, that this might be an interesting combination. Shadow of The South should help totally wreck a dedicated MwNK deck (no events during challenges -> no reinforcements). Granted, playing this every turn will be costly (2 gold each turn), but it will also get rid of other powerful events for you (lannister pays his debts, seductive promise, the stark counterattacks...) etc.

Additionally, to the inevitable "but you can't play targaryen due to Fury of the Stag" argument, Game of Cyvasse helps get those characters back, and you have two Fury plots aimed at Bara (if I remember correctly), where Bara only has one. Should balance out a bit.

One problem with this deck will of course be the fact that the other player only needs 10 power to win, so power rush decks will hurt... though bouncing and burn should help with this, at least a little. Also this deck would need to play with summer, which would make winter decks a pain. Additional fun stuff could be done, such as using forever burning to help your underhanded assassin get through refugees (or other STR 2 defences).

There's tons of ways something like this could be done, not sure if it would be at all viable... just interested in hearing if anyone's tried anything like this? (Don't have the newest chapter packs yet, so can't try this myself...)

Just some idle thoughts. 



#2 ktom

ktom

    Member

  • Members
  • 7,659 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 10:38 AM

WWDrakey said:

Additionally, to the inevitable "but you can't play targaryen due to Fury of the Stag" argument, Game of Cyvasse helps get those characters back, and you have two Fury plots aimed at Bara (if I remember correctly), where Bara only has one. Should balance out a bit.

 

Actually, there's one small problem with this reasoning. Game of Cyvasse and and Fury of the Sun are both "House Martell only." In the deck you're talking about, you'd be playing House Targaryen, so you wouldn't be allowed to use them.



#3 Lars

Lars

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 11:57 AM

as is shadow of the south



#4 Egg

Egg

    Member

  • Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 03:45 PM

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I've been playing with this: Targtell

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



#5 RJM

RJM

    Member

  • Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 03:54 PM

Egg said:

I've been playing with this: Targtell

And do you really think you're getting a 33% advantage over your opponent by being able to run the handful of Martell cards that you are over comparable Targaryen counterparts?  Because that'd essentially what the Treay is giving the other player, with the 10 power to win, so it really needs to be worth it.

So far the closest I've found to it doing anything for me at all is a Lannister variation on my winter resource control deck that runs some Greyjoy with the treaty.  But thats about it.  6x Refugees for free in a deck is nice too, but you're not even taking advantage of that in your build.



#6 Egg

Egg

    Member

  • Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 04:09 PM

First off, I meant to post this with the link but obviously I suck at these boards.

I agree RJM.  This is not a good deck in terms of winning and I don't think I gain a 33% advantage over my opponent.  I made it to see if I could get a fun deck to play and I wanted to try out my strength manipulation/field spikes idea.  I guess I could just run FS out of house.  I'm not saying this is the final product.  I am willing adapt it in order to get more efficient.  One of the main drawbacks is that LDC only triggers off of Targ characters.  That is why I didn't want too many Martell ones, but then I'm not taking advantage of the treaty.  It has been said more than once on here that no "House X only" restriction on the Treaty is a real killer.  I am open for suggestions.  I have already swapped out The Long Summer because I just realized it only helps your house card characters.  Please realize that I am new to the game and I posted more to show that I have thought of this and tried it rather than saying I have a great deck.  Hope that clears things up.



#7 RJM

RJM

    Member

  • Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 04:40 PM

Egg said:

First off, I meant to post this with the link but obviously I suck at these boards.

I agree RJM.  This is not a good deck in terms of winning and I don't think I gain a 33% advantage over my opponent.  I made it to see if I could get a fun deck to play and I wanted to try out my strength manipulation/field spikes idea.  I guess I could just run FS out of house.  I'm not saying this is the final product.  I am willing adapt it in order to get more efficient.  One of the main drawbacks is that LDC only triggers off of Targ characters.  That is why I didn't want too many Martell ones, but then I'm not taking advantage of the treaty.  It has been said more than once on here that no "House X only" restriction on the Treaty is a real killer.  I am open for suggestions.  I have already swapped out The Long Summer because I just realized it only helps your house card characters.  Please realize that I am new to the game and I posted more to show that I have thought of this and tried it rather than saying I have a great deck.  Hope that clears things up.

Ah, no problem... I just read over my post and it reads kind of harsh, not my intent at all!  I was just typing quickly.  I only meant to add to the discussion, not put down your deck in any personal sort of way. :-)

I'm still largely experimenting with the new Agendas myself, and it's really a tough sell no matter your parameters are.



#8 WWDrakey

WWDrakey

    Member

  • Members
  • 434 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 08:57 PM

...and this is what you get for not actually having the agendas yourself yet as cards... wasn't aware, that the agendas don't allow use of house only cards, that limits them too much. Oh well... ;)

Still, running shadow of the south might be viable with the Shadow Agenda, if I remember correctly.

 



#9 Old Ben

Old Ben

    Member

  • Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 04:49 AM

WWDrakey said:

 

...and this is what you get for not actually having the agendas yourself yet as cards... wasn't aware, that the agendas don't allow use of house only cards, that limits them too much. Oh well... ;)

Still, running shadow of the south might be viable with the Shadow Agenda, if I remember correctly.

 

 

 

 

Yup, from all i know the shadows agenda is very relaible. I only played my  Lanni shadow deck twice and only with the cards from the first chapter pack city of secrets, but it made a good performance in these game. 

Honestly i think that the treaty with the south agenda is a the moment useless, there are too few Martell cards you would want to run in your deck and the interesting ones are "hosue martell only". The treaty with the isles agenda is different, a Stark/ Greyjoy winter deck could be very good, also the sea of storms expansion should make the agenda even more interesting in the future.  



#10 Comm

Comm

    Member

  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 10:02 PM

Old Ben said:

The treaty with the isles agenda is different, a Stark/ Greyjoy winter deck could be very good, also the sea of storms expansion should make the agenda even more interesting in the future.  

I fully agree. And since Stark and Greyjoy are the Houses with the most War-crested characters, I think we will see decks exploiting this crest and the new location-hate event.






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS