• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 crimhead

crimhead

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 06:50 AM

Hi all.

enamored with my FFG edition, I would like to give away my Avalon Hill version to a children's hospital or family of casual gamers.  Sadly I can't find my old print out of the FAQ, and it's no longer available on the AH website.

So I'm hoping somebody has a copy and will share it!

Thanks.

#2 TheDukester

TheDukester

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 11:02 AM

There was an AH FAQ? (Not trying to be cute; it's a serious question).

I fully remember the rulebook was available as a PDF; I've got like three of them floating around the hard drive, in fact. But I seem to recall that being about it as far as AH "support" went.

#3 Phyrgian

Phyrgian

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:10 PM

Here's the AH FAQ:

Is this version any good in comparison to previous versions, and should I purchase this even if I have said older versions?

NO! For the love of eveything that is good, forget this version ever existed and play Mayfair/Eon.

#4 shnar

shnar

• Members
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 01:54 PM

Or even West End Games or Games Workshop versions!

I talked with Peter about AH's version, and he said he liked it, except for the 'stackability' of the ships. My biggest problem is that it was too small, basically the same as the base EON game, and that version didn't get good until you added a few expansions. I'm soooooo glad FFG decided to put in a whole bunch of aliens, making this game out-of-the-box a great game! :)

-shnar

#5 crimhead

crimhead

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 11:06 PM

I agree that AH's version is a white wash.  It does feature the basic game mechanics which I think are brilliant and elegant - only a little lackluster without more of the cool stuff.

Anyway, I learned first on AH's edition but now I am delighted with FFG's take on CE - it is my all time third favorite board game now!

I've given my AH game to a family where it can be played by preteen children and non gamer adults.  For this crowd I think simpler is better (plus I'll never need that copy again).  This is why I need to replace my lost FAQ.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS