FlatCon '09

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Staton

Staton

• Members
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 11:31 AM

OK, well apparently I've been oblivious to a gaming convention going on in my backyard for the past 2 years. Every october there is a small(compared to most cons like GenCon or DragonCon and whatnot) con in Bloomington, IL. This year it lands on Oct 2nd-4th. Its only $20 for a badge for the whole weekend, and there are probably close to 50 hotels in the Blooming-Normal area. I'm in the process of seeing what exactly it would take to schedule some events for AGoT. I figured I'd see who all would be interested in attending something like this before I actually scheduled anything though. Would it even be worth it to see if FFG wanted to schedule anything? I assume not, but who knows. Anyway, just wanted to get the info out there and see who all would want to attend if any.

#2 King of the Saltwives

King of the Saltwives

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 12:15 PM

We might be able to take a contingent up there. October is long enough away that we'd be ready for it. Id say at least prolly 3 of us would come, me and Guardian, and prolly Pube Fairy (William). But we could prolly get more if we planned it. And if it was standard only id doubt wed come. lol.

#3 Staton

Staton

• Members
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 12:28 PM

Yeah I was thinking about that. Most of the people in the Midwest play Standard,while it seems everywhere else plays LCG. I suppose we could see how many people wanted to play just LCG. and both the GJ and Martell expansions should be out by then, right? So I guess there might be more incentive to play just lcg. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what everyone is thinking. I'll probably side with the Midwest crowd as to what they want to play though since they would be making up the majority of players here. I'm sure we could work out something for both formats though. If it was Standard, and we allowed proxies(somewhat nicer proxies, like a printout of the card from tzumainn's site or at least a printout with the the text on there, and I'm sure I could help with some of that) would you guys be more inclined to come?

#4 King of the Saltwives

King of the Saltwives

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 01:29 PM

Aside from card pool, i think since we've finally gotten commited to everyone playing LCG only it would be a taunt to play standard lol. We're all getting pretty used to not having the cards we we're used to in standard, and wanted to throw our weight behind LCG, since its the way of the future and all lol.

#5 Staton

Staton

• Members
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 02:02 PM

Ahhh alright. Then I'll probably see if anyone will mind having it LCG only. and then maybe we'll have one or two standard events also, cause I'm thinking that LCG will be able to hold its own against Standard here pretty soon anyway. So you better start making plans now!

#6 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,521 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 02:04 PM

I think it's a misnomer to say that "most everyone else is playing LCG only." I don't think that's especially true. And anyway, by next October when Kings of the Sea (and possibly Kings of the Sun) and the whole of KLE are out - and a real OP program is hopefully in place - there may be more incentive for those playing Standard (and it goes beyond Illinois and the Midwest) to switch over.

There is also the question of what "Standard" will be next October. Do you rotate ITE out "on schedule" so that "Standard" is just LCG + 5KE?

#7 Staton

Staton

• Members
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 02:20 PM

oh good point there on rotation. and I was thinking that the whole east coast and whatnot was playing lcg only and I thought that cali/seattle was too. But anyway, I'm thinking that by October there will def be alot of incentive to just play LCG. Assuming that some basic balance issues are adressed ie attachment and location control. So Ktom, do you think you or any of the other chicago guys would be interested in this?

#8 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,521 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 02:27 PM

Staton said:

So Ktom, do you think you or any of the other chicago guys would be interested in this?

October is a long way away. Hard to say what things are going to look like by then on all other fronts. If I had to guess, I'd say there might be some interest, but you won't get a commitment out of anyone before September.

I'd say that you're looking at Illinois and Iowa (and apparently Ohio/Kentucky) for this. Flatcon isn't major enough for people to travel too far to play AGoT.

#9 Staton

Staton

• Members
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 02:31 PM

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I figured we might be able to pull a few players in from Madison or Michigan and I was talking to Kennon, and while you're right we won't have any idea of numbers until september, he thought october was looking pretty good for traveling. So he might be able to bring a few guys too. I figure if we break 10 non meta members I'll consider it a success. haha

#10 Lars

Lars

• Members
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 03:11 PM

I think KFM and us are rare in that we don't play standard at all. Semi-off topic, oh well.

#11 dormouse

dormouse

LCG Designer

• Members
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 03:15 PM

I might be able to make it, but unless it was LCG only or you guys rotate ITE, I probably won't come... not that you should cater to me and my desires, but I thought I'd share them anyway.

"words are like arrows, once loosened you cannot call them back"

#12 Staton

Staton

• Members
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 03:20 PM

Well it looks like it probably will be LCG only. There should be enough of a cardpool and enough of a balance to make LCG as competative as Standard. And really since ITE would be normally rotated out, we're really only missing 5ke in LCG by october.

#13 The Red Woman

The Red Woman

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 08:15 AM

This is long enough after Dragoncon that I'll be ready to travel again. However, hollis may be visiting me from Canada that weekend, so if that doesn't pan out, I may swing by. Not sure how much Thrones I'll be into, as I haven't played in 8 months, but I've been going back to deckbuilding the past week or so, and am trying to get back in.

#14 Staton

Staton

• Members
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 06:32 AM

Sweet! It looks like setting up the events is as easy as submitting it online and if there's room for it, it gets scheduled. It looks like there aren't really any card game spots taken except a few by MTG. So we should have our pick of the time slots throughtout the day. Also, since this might be one of the only non MTG card games, I'm thinking of buying a core set and demoing it to people with the understanding that if you sit through a full demo you get entered into a drawing for the coreset. I'll have to talk to the organizers to see if its ok to do something like that. Also looks like Katie will be making power counters(she's also decided to do 2 sets of "girly" power counters. Now sure what all that entails....). Maybe I can think of some more shiney things to attract players. Also, is there still an IN meta(s)?

#15 Maester_LUke

Maester_LUke

• Members
  • 713 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 09:26 PM

I doubt you'll see FFG plan any events there, but you can consult with Ethan on how he worked his support fo ConnectiCon last year.

Does this place charge event fees or are those free?  Cuz I would definitley put this on the list.  Assuming I can find someone with a driveway I can park in wheil I sleep in my car. :P

#16 Staton

Staton

• Members
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 06:11 PM

I'm not sure on the fees. I have the option of setting the price and as long as it doesn't cost me anything to set up the event it'll be free. I'm planning on running 4 events. LCG Melee, LCG Joust, Standard(not sure what will be considered standard at this time) Melee and Standard Joust.

And I'm sure we'd have some room for you Luke. Either couch or floor space. and we have lots of pillows and blankets so it should be fine.

#17 dormouse

dormouse

LCG Designer

• Members
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 11:27 PM

Dump ITE. Or not, I mean if you really want to see Martell decks with Broken Arm and Locked in the Tower x3, or Greyjoy with Veteran Looters and Whirlpool powering Kraen Tattoo plus the LCG and expansions, go ahead, but I think 5KE is a much more elegant combination of cards with fewer overpowered combos available to the format.

"words are like arrows, once loosened you cannot call them back"

#18 Staton

Staton

• Members
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 11:47 PM

That's what I'm thinking too, but it'll all depend on whats out. I'll be more inclined to leave ITE out if the Martell expansion has been released by then.

#19 Staton

Staton

• Members
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 12:45 PM

OK, looks like it costs nothing to run the event, BUT, to offset the cost of buying a core set or two to demo, I'm gonna make the entry fee for each tournament $2. Between the 4 events I figure I'll have a min of 10 players each which would make for $80 which would cover the cost of 2 core sets which we can give away. if we have any extra money left over after that I'll probably just give it to the person who traveled the farthest.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS