• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#1 finitesquarewell

finitesquarewell

• Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 02:38 PM

Fellow AGOT players,

There's been some discussion on the boards about organized play and the lack thereof. The midwest just had a big event, and the west coast guys made an attempt at a large tourney as well. Furthermore, there's been a lot of question concerning which exact decks are dominant in the relatively unknown AGOT environment, largely because there has been no "multi-meta" LCG tournament yet.

I think it's about time we on the East Coast organize exactly such a tournament. I myself am willing to handle the brunt of the organizational responsibilities, and I have experience organizing large CCG tournaments from my SW:CCG and LOTR:TCG days. However, it should be noted that I'm located in DC -- not exactly a central location for a large event -- and that I'm not registered as a tournament director (although I do believe my partner in crime, Dan/twn2dn, is in some capacity).

I mention this because, instead of trying to host something on my home turf in the DC area, I think the best location for a gathering of all East Coast metas -- we here in DC/NoVA; the NYC meta; the DE, PA, and northern MD guys -- would be Philadelphia. Concerning a date, I propose a Saturday in the middle of July: either July 11 or 18. Either of those dates is far enough away from GenCon to give the guys with families who are spending their "points" on heading to the big summer convention some negotiating power, while still being close enough to GenCon so as to be useful in getting a feel for the LCG worlds events.

If this is of interest to any of you, speak up and post here. Topics I'm looking to discuss include whether you

1) think you'll be able to attend,
2) prefer one date over the other,
3) want help put together the event,
4) think that we might get more people hosting the event in NYC or somewhere else,
5) want to speak up on whether or not we should try to sanction the event, or
6) know of some cool prizes we could put together (or want to discuss what's a reasonable price to charge for entry to get cool prizes like a replica LOTR sword).

If there's sufficient interest, I'll create a poll of some kind to determine a date (or alternative location if that seems necessary), and then try to room in the schedule of a card shop or other sort of public venue. Once that discussion begins, maybe we'll start a new thread by moving this discussion over to the relatively inactive Meta forums.

If you'd like, get the word out to some of the old timers who don't frequent the boards anymore but might be willing to play in an LCG tourney.

Thanks guys -- I look forward to putting something together,

Erick

#2 finitesquarewell

finitesquarewell

• Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 02:38 PM

i forgot to mention the Mass guys as an existing east coast meta as well, oops

#3 Lars

Lars

• Members
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 02:53 PM

finitesquarewell said:

4) think that we might get more people hosting the event in NYC or somewhere else,
6) know of some cool prizes we could put together (or want to discuss what's a reasonable price to charge for entry to get cool prizes like a replica LOTR sword).

1) obviously depends on the date and location

2) can't tell you right now, i've got what i like to call a liquid schedule right now

3/4) i'm not sure if philly is the right place. We play down in DE in a really small store and share space. ~I know the NYC guys don't like letting us provincials have big events too, right stag.

5) can't hurt

6) uhmm uhmmm uhmm, no sorry.

This is a good idea. I'll pass the idea around my meta next week (we met yesterday) and let you know.

#4 Maester_LUke

Maester_LUke

• Members
  • 713 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 04:23 PM

finitesquarewell said:

1) Would love too... and if I can convince my sister the real reason is to come out and visit here in DC at her new place, I can even earn big brother points while I'm at it.

2) None at this point, it will become an interesting sandwiching between Origins and GenCon for me.

3) Will do what ever I can... like make my phonelist available for spamming... particularly if I get my voice back soon.

4) NYC would be more central if you could dig the Bostonians out of their funk... failing that, you should really do it down in DC.  Check that, I think the store in Glen Burnie has always been friendly, and seemed convenient for incoming travellers, IIRC.  Alternatively, I found a store on the north side of Baltimore (the name escapes me at this time), near Towson Town Center, that might prove suitable.

Lars is right about Claymont, the store and owner are sweet, but it's a little cramped/inappropriate for something on this "scale."  Assuming it reaches the proportions it could.

5) Hells yes, sanction this bad boy.

6) Pondering will commence.

#5 thebraz

thebraz

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 04:53 AM

Maester_LUke said:

finitesquarewell said:

1) Would love too... and if I can convince my sister the real reason is to come out and visit here in DC at her new place, I can even earn big brother points while I'm at it.

2) None at this point, it will become an interesting sandwiching between Origins and GenCon for me.

3) Will do what ever I can... like make my phonelist available for spamming... particularly if I get my voice back soon.

4) NYC would be more central if you could dig the Bostonians out of their funk... failing that, you should really do it down in DC.  Check that, I think the store in Glen Burnie has always been friendly, and seemed convenient for incoming travellers, IIRC.  Alternatively, I found a store on the north side of Baltimore (the name escapes me at this time), near Towson Town Center, that might prove suitable.

Lars is right about Claymont, the store and owner are sweet, but it's a little cramped/inappropriate for something on this "scale."  Assuming it reaches the proportions it could.

5) Hells yes, sanction this bad boy.

6) Pondering will commence.

Is that store in Towson Legends Games and Comics?

#6 finitesquarewell

finitesquarewell

• Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 07:14 AM

yeah, that's the store LUke was referring to. my thought was to have the event closer to NYC so as to ensure we draw those guys in, while still not burdening those from DC, MD, DE, etc. i'll add it to the list of possible locations.

#7 Lars

Lars

• Members
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 03:11 PM

I don't think there will be any players from MD, i'm pretty sure they stopped playing w/ LCG

#8 Twn2dn

Twn2dn

• Members
  • 1,274 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 01:11 AM

1) I am definitely in, Erick, as we discussed.

2) July is great for me...my wife will be out of town, so I can devote a bit of time to planning/logistics.

3) Definitely will help, and I have some prizes in mind I can contribute.

4) As we discussed, I still have my doubts about Philly. I think Glen Burnie might work though...any place that I can make it a daytrip (rather than an overnighter) is best, but I suppose I'm flexible.

5) Let's sanction this thing. I can register the event if that's helpful, but if we do it in another city, maybe we want the local person to register it so that the shop has someone local to correspond with?

6) I have some ideas for house cards, counters, etc. We'll figure something cool out that's worth a good tourney.

Lars said:

I don't think there will be any players from MD, i'm pretty sure they stopped playing w/ LCG

That's too bad...does anyone know if any of them are playing? The DC meta is shaping up to have around 4-5 regular players, and we're looking to expand that a bit. (Haven't actively recruited anyone yet, but we've got a gameshop that's selling a lot of AGOT product to mystery players and we're curious to find out who!)

#9 longclaw

longclaw

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:10 AM

The difficulty for me is the proximity of the date to Origins (and I'm not certain I'll be able to make that either).  But I would think DC would be the only option if any of us from TN were to make it. 

#10 Stag Lord

Stag Lord

• Members
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:17 AM

I'd be interested in attending for sure. I'm not certain how many others form teh NY group will travel. all Thrones is lcoal these days, as the saying goes, and although interest is high - I don't know if interest is high enough to support a trip much south of Philly. Something train-able though, that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg in travel expenses coudl be do-able. I don't think we would come down to DC.

As far as having it in NY - I'll let letsgored wiegh in on that. I know we would need to make arrangements with our "venue" .But lGR is much more the TO htese days than I am.

#11 LetsGoRed

LetsGoRed

• Members
  • 547 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 10:07 AM

Staglord and I have chatted a bit over the last  couple months about having an "event" in Manhattan on a  Saturday that would hopefully appeal to surrounding metas. I've been delinquent in pushing it forward --I need to identify a date or two that I'd be free to actually manage it and then hope it will work with the one game shop in the Manhattan I'm aware of that will (reluctantly, as CCGs are not their bread-n-butter) allow us to use their space if it's not taken already.  Plan B is to see if the cafe that allows our weekday meetups will put up with a larger, weekend gathering. I'll try to make some progress on this soon in order to see if Manhattan is a viable location option to include in this discussion.

#12 orclrob

orclrob

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 06:38 AM

DC or Glenn Burnie area would be ideal for me.  I'm from TN but travel to DC at least once a month for work and can coordinate my work schedule around the event.

#13 bloodycelt

bloodycelt

• Members
  • 794 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 07:13 AM

1) think you'll be able to attend, <-- Depends on 2) and 4)
2) prefer one date over the other, <-- Should be a weekend, well away from Connecticon (August 2nd?) or Gencon

4) think that we might get more people hosting the event in NYC or somewhere else, <-- Well for the few up in Mass that I might be able to drag... its rather cheap to bus down to NYC and only 4 hours. Hosting should also be discussed because I'm not sure if I can get any but myself to make the trip... but I can't take time out of work for this event, so I have to be able to zip in friday night and leave saturday night or sunday morn.

<-- Make some stone house cards, if possible. Special gold counters, etc.

#14 Stag Lord

Stag Lord

• Members
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 07:23 AM

Drag wolfstalwart down. i'll call him if that will help.

#15 bloodycelt

bloodycelt

• Members
  • 794 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 01:21 PM

While I think Ethan would appreciate hearing from you, I don't think it would convince him.

#16 Maester_LUke

Maester_LUke

• Members
  • 713 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 02:14 AM

bloodycelt said:

While I think Ethan would appreciate hearing from you, I don't think it would convince him.

What about be if I said I'd attend...

<Well, well, well.. I was just asking Lord Sandwich, "Where the devil are those Douchebags?"> - SNL

#17 bloodycelt

bloodycelt

• Members
  • 794 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 08:43 AM

Unfortunately I am neither telepath or psychologist hence I can't make any garuntee. But by all means call him, I just didn't want to raise any amount of expectation.

Though having a date, time, and place would help.

#18 DarthJeff

DarthJeff

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 12:42 AM

I would love to attend an East Coast tourney.  I can probably make it pretty much anywhere on July 11. I can't make it anywere on July18.

#19 Stag Lord

Stag Lord

• Members
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 03:03 AM

We'd love to have you compete.

Maybe we should shoot for the 11th, since that works for at least one out of towner. Does anyone else have acommitment probelms with that date? Its pretty far form GenCon, might be close to Origins (which I think is the last wekeend in June). Luke - how would this affect your travel plans?

#20 LetsGoRed

LetsGoRed

• Members
  • 547 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 04:55 PM

July 11th looks like a conflict for me; the 18th looks promising, however.  I'll check with the Compleat Strategist game shop in Manhattan to see if their game space is even available (they only open it up on Saturdays and have several long standing groups that get "priority" on booking it, so it can be tough to get it). If that is a bust, I'll look into plan B (the cafe that lets us have our weekday evening meetups in their space). Knowing whether CS or the cafe will be willing hosts or not will dictate how likely I could coordinate something in midtown.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS