Photo

Kevin, important boat charter question for Innsmouth! Please answer!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Solan

Solan

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 07:59 AM

I want to make sure I understand this correctly.  From the text, it sounds like an Investigator can pay $2 to move to Devil Reef.  But the Investigator cannot RETURN from Devil Reef until another Investigator goes to Falcon Point and pays another $2.  Correct, or not? 

Also, to restrate a previous much-asked question: Does Mark's ability and Wendy's ability prevent them from being arrested in Innsmouth?  And is the check to avoid Martial Law an Evade check or a Sneak check; the rule and the example contradict each other. 

#2 KevinW

KevinW

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 08:14 AM

Solan said:

I want to make sure I understand this correctly.  From the text, it sounds like an Investigator can pay $2 to move to Devil Reef.  But the Investigator cannot RETURN from Devil Reef until another Investigator goes to Falcon Point and pays another $2.  Correct, or not? 

Also, to restrate a previous much-asked question: Does Mark's ability and Wendy's ability prevent them from being arrested in Innsmouth?  And is the check to avoid Martial Law an Evade check or a Sneak check; the rule and the example contradict each other. 

Correct. There is no built-in way to return from Devil's Reef except for a couple encounters. Someone will have to rent a boat and move you back to Falcon Point if you want to return in a timely/reliable fashion. There are a couple spots on the Innsmouth board that are designed for teamwork.

Investigators immune to being arrested are still immune to being arrested in Innsmouth. I had my reasons for ignoring the 'immune to delay' stuff in the jail, but that's different from being arrested in the first place.

Avoiding being arrested in Innsmouth is an Evade check. Sorry for the typo there.

#3 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,582 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 08:31 AM

Awesome. What a timely and concise response.

Thanks a bunch!

Wow... Innsmouth is the nastiest board but it often requires multiple investigators to be there. This is not the first time I've said this, Kevin... but you and your team are cruel.

(And that's the way I like it)

#4 Solan

Solan

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 09:14 AM

I second the thanks, and for my own part I would observe that Kevin is not just cruel, but is actually more like an evil genius:)

Let me strike while the iron is hot and get in the two other questions which have occurred to me.  First, since Finn Edwards starts with a bank loan, he also starts with the $10, making his actual starting cash $18, correct?

Second, I have a question on Lloigor movement: it says all Investigators in adjacent street areas or locations lost 1 Sanity and 1 Stamina.  I see how this works if the lloigor is in a street area, but what if it's in a location?  Then does only the street area leading to that location and the other locations in that neighborhood count as adjacent? 

#5 KevinW

KevinW

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 09:19 AM

Solan said:

I second the thanks, and for my own part I would observe that Kevin is not just cruel, but is actually more like an evil genius:)

Let me strike while the iron is hot and get in the two other questions which have occurred to me.  First, since Finn Edwards starts with a bank loan, he also starts with the $10, making his actual starting cash $18, correct?

Second, I have a question on Lloigor movement: it says all Investigators in adjacent street areas or locations lost 1 Sanity and 1 Stamina.  I see how this works if the lloigor is in a street area, but what if it's in a location?  Then does only the street area leading to that location and the other locations in that neighborhood count as adjacent? 

Finn has already taken out the loan. The extra money is represented in his stats and starting items, etc.

As for Lloigor, adjacent just means directly connected to that location/street space by a movement line. So, if a lloigor is in a location, it only hits the street it's next to (as well as its own location, of course). It won't always be a big deal, but sometimes it will be nasty. Of course, even if its ability isn't hitting a lot, it still makes a nasty stationary critter, since it will often be sitting on a gate.

#6 Solan

Solan

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 09:27 AM

Thanks again, Kevin! 

#7 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

Evil Rules Lawyer From Hell

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 06:22 PM

Thanks for these answers, they will definitely save days of debate on the forum. 

Now for the next question.  I just finished my second game with Innsmouth.  When you exit a gate to the Marsh Refinery or the Esoteric Order of Dagon, do you need to roll an evade check to prevent yourself from being arrested?  How does martial law interact with those two gates?  Do you need to roll the check when you first land on the locations, when you first land on them and when you return, or not at all if there is a gate there?  I'd imagine it's the first option, but I'm not really sure.

#8 Solan

Solan

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 04:14 AM

Excellent question, Avi.  Before Kevin answers it, I have two more of my own to quickly add:

1. Finn's character sheet says that he never loses items or clues, but still has to pay costs.  It take it the penalty for defaulting on his bank loan is considered a cost?  Otherwise giving him the bank loan at the start would have no meaning. 

2. A card like "Manhunt in Arkham" would not affect spawn monsters such as Servants of Glaaki, correct?  They would remain on the board instead of being returned to Glaaki's sheet? 

#9 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,582 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 06:35 AM

Solan said:

Excellent question, Avi.  Before Kevin answers it, I have two more of my own to quickly add:

1. Finn's character sheet says that he never loses items or clues, but still has to pay costs.  It take it the penalty for defaulting on his bank loan is considered a cost?  Otherwise giving him the bank loan at the start would have no meaning. 

2. A card like "Manhunt in Arkham" would not affect spawn monsters such as Servants of Glaaki, correct?  They would remain on the board instead of being returned to Glaaki's sheet? 

1. Not an answer, but if he doesn't lose anything from defaulting a Bank Loan, then the incentive not to pay it off is there. However, as long as he does not pay it off, he loses money as the turns go on.

2. Officially, cards such as Manhunt do not affect Spawn monsters. This would make Feds Raid Arkham capable of killing the Dunwich Horror.

#10 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 09:56 AM

Solan said:

Hah...  I had the same question re: #1 I think I posted it in the FAQ section yesterday.

and ditto what Tibs said re: #2

#11 Nghtflame7

Nghtflame7

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 03:56 AM

Avi_dreader said:

Thanks for these answers, they will definitely save days of debate on the forum. 

Now for the next question.  I just finished my second game with Innsmouth.  When you exit a gate to the Marsh Refinery or the Esoteric Order of Dagon, do you need to roll an evade check to prevent yourself from being arrested?  How does martial law interact with those two gates?  Do you need to roll the check when you first land on the locations, when you first land on them and when you return, or not at all if there is a gate there?  I'd imagine it's the first option, but I'm not really sure.

I'm not Kevin, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night... the bed was full of Shoggoths! I believe that the official FAQs state that a gate completely replaces a location while it is on the board. Therefore, until the gate is closed, I would not roll the evade check at all, since the location does not exist for game purposes.

Or I might be completely insane. 

#12 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,284 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 04:11 AM

Nghtflame7 said:

That's not really an enforced requirement for AH, merely a recommended guideline .

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#13 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:39 AM

Nghtflame7 said:

Avi_dreader said:

I'm not Kevin, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night... the bed was full of Shoggoths! I believe that the official FAQs state that a gate completely replaces a location while it is on the board. Therefore, until the gate is closed, I would not roll the evade check at all, since the location does not exist for game purposes.

Hmmm, so you wouldn't roll coming or going.  Makes sense.  I guess I'll do that too, at least until I'm told otherwise.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS