WORLDGAME - rules and interest

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Rem

Rem

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 09:07 AM

Ok, I am back on the forums and what better way to celebrate than challenging everyone to a worldgame?

this thread is to check if there is an interest for an semi-digital online game. I also post the rules/setup/way of playing so that everybody who don't know what this is can learn something new and interesting. These rules are stolen/copied from Retts post on the last forum but I think everything is correct.

If you have any questions just post them here.

Also if you are interested in trying this: add me on yahoo: little_razie

#2 Rem

Rem

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 09:08 AM

If you are interested in setting up a 'World Game' and have the following capabilities;

1) Yahoo Messenger with *MIC* with the ability to *VIEW* a Web Cam (As Primary communications)

2) Have HIGH SPEED connection

3) Can invest a MINIMUM of 4 hours of UNinterrupted Game play (Minus Bio and Smoke breaks )

4) Have your Talisman Board set up within reach of your computer and Mic.

5) Be set up and READY to PLAY 1 HOUR before 'Start time' (just incase there are any comms issues) This will also give us a few minutes to get to know each other, answer any questions, help you set up, and generally abuse Hallow Knight for a bit of time before he is totally awake.

How the Game is played

One Player has the 'Master Board' and Rolls all dice (Dice rolls displayed on Web Cam)
each additional player MUST have the secondary boards.

Setup:
Adventure cards MUST be pre-sorted, I recommend, by classifiation (Events, Strangers, Objects, Magic Objects, Bags of Gold, Enemy Monsters, Enemy Spirits, and Places)

Spells: Alphabetized* (POSSIBLY Shuffled)

Counters and Gold: Sorted by type and number

Table space for a character for each player, with room for Items, followers, counters etc. (I put the characters on my desk in front of me, with a 'sticky note' of which player is the character, that way I can keep track of the voice and the character, I also put the characters in order from left to right, of who gets to go 1st, 2nd, etc.) The Talisman Board, is set up to my Right on a Card Table, LOTS of ROOM!

Game Mechanics:

Setup:

Master board player shuffles and lays out all 14 character cards face down. Each player picks a number, and that is your character card, so there is little to no chance of the Character cards 'being loaded'.

Master board player Shuffled Adventure cards, are placed near (if you wish infront of Cam) as the Master Deck.

Master board player Shuffled Spell Cards, are placed near (if you wish infront of Cam) as the Master Spell Deck (More about the mechinics of Spells later)

(Keep in mind, the MORE things infront of the Cam, the harder it is to see the dice rolls, these games are for *FUN*, I like to win as much as the next person, but I do not have to cheat in order to win, cheating would only be a waste of not only my time but yours, so there is a degree of Trust in this type of game).

Each player 'Rolls' a Dice (Master board player would says something like 'Hallow rolls....*Rolls Dice on Cam* Hallow rolled a 3, 'Rett Rolls...*Rolls Dice on Cam* Rett rolled a 1, Hallow moves 1st.
(I hope you follow that)

Dice resolution (For Cave, Temple Etc) Player specifies they are ROLLING for (whatever) Master board player rolls the dice on cam.

Combat resolution. 'Character is the Yellow Talisman Dice, Monster is the White Dice'

Character to Character Resolution 'Attacking Character is the Yellow Talisman Dice, Defending Character is the White Dice'

*Keep in Mind, when we play, we try to specify it over and over again. Hallows strength is a 4, he is the yellow dice, the Dragons strength is 7, it is the White Dice, the dragon is +4 on the dice roll (for anyone else the Dragon is +3, but since Hallow can't count, he'll never realized he was just shafted )*

Spell resolution: There are a few ways to do this, based on if anyone draws a character with the ability to 'Know' the Spell cards.

1st way we did it. Everyone has their own 'spell deck' and here is the trust factor. Everyone keeps track of 'HOW MANY' Spells the other characters have (we used face down purchase cards, so you can see at a glace that, the Elf had 2 spells) If the Elf Casts Alchemy, *EVERYONE* Removes Alchemy from their Spell Decks, and places them on the discard pile. *IF* By chance, the Elf Casts Alchemy, and the Druid HOLDS the Alchemy Spell in his hand, the Druid would IMMEDIATELY DISCARD ALCHEMY, and DRAW A NEW SPELL. The 1st person to Cast it 'has' the spell.

2nd way we did it, because Rett was the Prophetess (and her ability is to always 'know' what spells are held. Everyone had their Spells Alphabetized, Rett would draw a spell card for whomever, and TYPE in a PRIVATE YAHOO CHAT WINDOW what Spell you have.

********* SPELLS IN THE WORLD GAMES ARE A LITTLE TRICKY, BUT AGAIN, THIS IS FOR FUN, IF YOU WANT SOMETHING OTHER THAN AN ENJOYABLE FEW HOURS..DO NOT SIGN UP!********

A turn will go something like this

Rett: Its Hallows Turn. Do you wish to roll for movement?
Hallow: Yes, Roll the Dice (or cast a spell, whatever)
*DICE ROLL ON CAM*
Rett: Hallow rolls a 5, do you want to move to the WOODS between the Chapel and the Village, or the PLAINS between the Chapel and the City?
Hallow: Plains between Chapel and the City.
Rett: Hallow draws 1 card, (Rett takes Top adventure card, shows it to the Cam and reads what it is) (everyone else digs out that particular adventure card)
Rett: Hallow draws 'The Witch', Hallow you have to roll for the Witch, are you ready? *Rett Rolls for Hallow on the Witch* Rett ofcourse turns Hallow into a Toad, with his 'loaded Toad Dice' and states 'The Witch is on the Plains between the Chapel and the City. (EVERYONE puts their Witch on this spot, and replaces Hallows character with a Toad Piece).
Rett: Its YOUR Turn, Do you wish to roll for Movement? *etc etc etc etc*

Now that you read this entire post, HOW do you signup, volunteer, request to play etc?

Post on the board 'WORLD GAME *DATE SUGGESTED* Please don't say 'World Game Saturday, say World Game Saturday March 15th' Make sure you have the following information to SEND VIA PRIVATE MESSAGE TO PLAYERS

1) Yahoo Messenger ID
2) Skype ID
3) Time Zone/Location (I'm -5 GMT, (Eastern USA) Hallow is -6 GMT (Central USA)
4) What times you are available to play (prefer in GMT so we can figure out local times)

*LASTLY* Do not Sign on, and be UNprepared. There is nothing more frustrating than 'Hang on, I have to do this, that, the other thing' well yes there is.. The game will take approximately 50% *LONGER* than a normal Talisman game, just due to the fact that there are multiple boards, and we stop from time to time to go over EVERY Card, EVERY Character etc. Plus you have questions 'The Elf moved where?' and 'I thought the Elf only had 1 gold' if there is a discrepancy, MAJORITY RULES. (Hey I'll face it, I've forgotten to Add or Subtract a Gold here and there, when in doubt just ASK, 'I show the Elf with 3 gold, 2 lives and a Sword' if everyone else says 2 gold 3 lives and a sword, well obviously I must of missed something.)

and remember

*THIS GAME IS FOR FUN* oh let me say it again *THIS GAME IS FOR FUN* and one more time *THIS GAME IS FOR FUN*

So that is how you do a World Game ENJOY! ! ! !

#3 Toad_monk

Toad_monk

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 09:49 AM

Iam so interested, always had fun playing especially with my new webcam and microphone proble, only problem is I sold my Talisman to upgrade for tis new version. Now I know they had the upgrade option but come on I got a good price for it and now with the delay a bit gutted to say the least. Its a shame on black industries web site the tournaments did not finish to crown the king of talisman. Oh well another time I guess

#4 Rem

Rem

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 08:24 PM

Seriously. Noone is interested?

#5 Brando

Brando

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 06:28 AM

Hey Rem, sorry about a late reply but I am definately interested in this. I spoke with Ell a few days ago and he seemed to indicate that you guys already had something in the works.

As far as this weekend goes I am not doing anything on Friday or Sunday...saturday is the iffy day, I will be out from probably 7am to 2pm EST.

#6 Rem

Rem

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 01:44 AM

Me and Elliot are currently waiting for to yankees to come online and play the world game. But since they're late anybody can join. All you need is skype, yahoo, mic and the game. So if you're reading this right now (check when it is posted for our local time) (14.45 GMT+1) and want to play, you are free to join. Just add me to yahoo: little_razie

#7 SubElement

SubElement

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 01:37 PM

How did the game go?

#8 Rem

Rem

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 07:07 PM

1. Rem (Prophetess)

2. HallowKnight (Elf)

3. Brando (Warrior)

4. Elliot (Ghoul) (Had to drop out before finished)

It took us about 50 minutes to get the game going, but as soon as we got all the mics and cams working we played for about 5 hours. It ran smoothly for everybody but me. Every once in a while I got disconnected and had to restart my modem. But other than that it was a great game. We will definatly do it again, so if anybody is interested we just sign up.

ps. I think 4 players is just right for a word game since it runs a bit slower than a normal game

#9 Toad_monk

Toad_monk

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 02:40 AM

Glad to hear the game went well, looking foward to joining in as soon as I recieve the new game. Shame the small tourny form before never worked!

#10 ozjesting

ozjesting

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 09:36 PM

As one of the instigators of the original World Game I am glad to see it lives on! I hope to join in for one come the New Year. By than I am sure we will all be upgraded ;)

Merry Christmas to you all...and lok forward to the fun in '09!

#11 Brando

Brando

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 03:05 AM

If anyone has the Revised edition come Friday evening I think it would be fun to try a World Game so that the rest of us who are still waiting can try it out!!

#12 Titeman

Titeman

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 03:39 AM

My friend and I are having great success playing the WoW Adventure Game over Skype. I am looking into more options, and thought this looked random and fun. It seems the only non-public info would be the spell cards; how imbalanced would it be if we each had access to the entire spell deck (so that more than one character might have the same spell?)...

--------------------------------------------------
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup...

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS