Inside Jokes

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 12:23 AM

Being a huge Lovecraft fan, I couldn't help but notice that the author(s) of House of Dust and Ash inserted a clever little reference to the Gate of the Silver Key (and possibly the key itself!) into the adventure. Has anybody else noticed such little subdued witticisms in the book? ("House Koba" in DotDG may be a reference to Stalin, or it might be coincidence.)

#2 Cifer

Cifer

• Members
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 12:48 AM

Not necessarily in that book, but there are many references and in-jokes strewn throughout the series. The first one I noticed was in the Psyker Sanctioning table, result 36-42. It seems that not only the navigators are taken straight from Dune...

Other than that, Creatures Anathema has a creature that may very easily be the Predator - optical camouflage, slightly Mantid appearance, takes skins and skulls as trophies.

And you definitely need more exposure to classical and popular culture if you can't find references in Sandy Mitchell's works...

#3 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 01:19 AM

Somebody got up on the wrong side of the bed.

The Dune pain box reference is obvious. I was thinking of things a little more obscure.

#4 Idaan

Idaan

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 03:54 AM

The skill Forbidden Lore: Black Library doesn't refer to the Eldar Black Library of Chaos, but rather the Black Library Publishing. It mentions "strange industries" (Black Industries) and "pale, hairless things that toil in its walls" (the mostly baldy writers like Dan Abnett).

#5 Rashid ad Din Sinan

Rashid ad Din Sinan

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 04:26 AM

Didn't notice the silver key reference.  However the entire second hald of Xenos in the Eisenhorn trilogy was right out of Lovecraft - but with bigger guns and they actually get away.  Much of the warp, ruinious powers, insanity, etc. is very Lovecraftian.

#6 Cifer

Cifer

• Members
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 05:07 AM

Somebody got up on the wrong side of the bed.

Actually I woke up just fine today, though perhaps the Sandy Mitchell came out wrong. I merely meant that references are numerous enough in there that most people will recognize at least a few.

#7 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 07:42 AM

Idaan said:

The skill Forbidden Lore: Black Library doesn't refer to the Eldar Black Library of Chaos, but rather the Black Library Publishing. It mentions "strange industries" (Black Industries) and "pale, hairless things that toil in its walls" (the mostly baldy writers like Dan Abnett).

Ha! I actually was wondering about the pale, hairless things in the walls.

When I noticed the silver key with "shown me the portals of sleep" written on it in Archaic Terran, I started wondering if all the other trinkets in House were also homages, but couldn't figure any of them out (if homages they indeed be).

#8 Cynical Cat

Cynical Cat

• Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 11:23 AM

40K and Warhammer Fantasy have always been included a large number of tongue and cheek references.  Kim Newman aka Jack Yeovil sprinkles them all over his Warhammer Fantasy work, but they go back to the first edition with such gems as "Scottie the Enginseer" and so forth.  Some are particularly blatant (Council of Nikea, a not even thinly veiled allusion to a historical event) and some at least pretend to be subtle.  Somef the more recent references I've caught are to the webcomic Girl Genius and Glen Cook's Black Company series.

#9 Zarkhovian_Rhythm

Zarkhovian_Rhythm

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 11:44 AM

I took the Gilded Widow to be an obscure reference to Metropolis the 1927 german film by Fritz Lang. One of my favorites of all time actually. Anybody not familiar with the film, go here. And also find a way to view it, it is great for inspiration for hive world social dynamics.

#10 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 01:11 PM

Metropolis! Of course! I can't believe I didn't think of it.

#11 Brother Praetus

Brother Praetus

• Members
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 01:50 PM

The King in Rags and Tatters is another Cthulhu reference.  If I recall correctly (having not read much in the way of the actual stories comprising the Mythos) it is a reference to The King in Yellow, or Hastur.

So, Cthulhu is in the Microsoft dictionary/spellcheck, but not the other one.  Lives up to He who is Not to be named, I reckon.

-=Brother Praetus=-

"Truth is so rare it must be protected by a bodyguard of lies."

- Fortune Cookie

#12 Buyman

Buyman

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 11:23 AM

First post ever.

In the Tattered Fates preview, Darke & Cougura's Living Shadow Show can be seen, this must be a reference to Darke's Carnival from Arkham Horror.

The Black Library joke is rather funny.

#13 Brother Praetus

Brother Praetus

• Members
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 11:47 AM

Buyman said:

First post ever.

In the Tattered Fates preview, Darke & Cougura's Living Shadow Show can be seen, this must be a reference to Darke's Carnival from Arkham Horror.

The Black Library joke is rather funny.

Tattered Fates;

The Eternal Show of Shadows performs numerous plays and operas.  It has such a vaunted reputation that noble houses have begun blood fueds over tickets to see their single performance of "The Mask of Camilla."    I believe this likely another reference to The King in Yellow, as Camilla is one of the characters in that play, and it takes place during a masquerade ball.

Of course, we could also be simply drawing correlation where there is none.

-=Brother Praetus=-

"Truth is so rare it must be protected by a bodyguard of lies."

- Fortune Cookie

#14 Luthor Harkon

Luthor Harkon

• Members
  • 641 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 07:36 PM

Not really a joke, but I always wondered whether Lord Inquisitor Anton Zerbe was somehow inspired by Anthony Zerbe (or a role he played).

#15 Zarkhovian_Rhythm

Zarkhovian_Rhythm

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 08:44 PM

Just found another one in House of Dust and Ash. Captain Rubio of the Ozmandius. Ozmandius is a sonnet written by Percy Bysshe Shelley, about the inevitable decline of men and the empires they build... hmmm, sound familiar?

Although the authors of the House of Dust and Ash could also have been referencing Ozmandius from the Watchmen comic by Alan Moore, either one would be appropriate given the context of both the setting of DH and the adventure itself.

#16 Varnias Tybalt

Varnias Tybalt

• Members
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 10:51 PM

One of the most blatant joke/pun I found in a Dark Heresy book would have to be in Purge the Unclean. The so called "Joyous Choir" is such an obvious parody of the real world Scientologists. I remember when I first got hold of the book and stated to flip through it during a bus ride and seeing it made me laugh rather loud and drawing the attention of the others on the bus. 

#17 Buyman

Buyman

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 12:03 AM

So Theodosia must be Tom Cruise, his implants representing Mr Cruise's awesome Scientology powers? It would crack my players up if i had described Theodosia as Tom Cruise

#18 Varnias Tybalt

Varnias Tybalt

• Members
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 08:30 AM

Buyman said:

So Theodosia must be Tom Cruise, his implants representing Mr Cruise's awesome Scientology powers? It would crack my players up if i had described Theodosia as Tom Cruise

Nah, Theo is with the Serrated Query. But the charlatan recently converted to Joyous Choir-leader whose name I've forgotten could be Tom Cruise.

#19 the 8 spider

the 8 spider

• Members
  • 542 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 11:14 AM

from france

theodosia is an empress from the bizantine empire quite appropriate for the bizantine emperium of man. i don't remenber where but in dh there is a quote "there is no arguing wit the barrel of a gun" a common phrase in western.

inquisitor torquemedaz is probably a reference to torquemeda as his wrongly think sentence "kill them all god will reconize his own"

they are other of course chtulu and dune and other fictional element are not the only one real reference exists also.

#20 WarpGhost

WarpGhost

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 12:00 PM

At the start of Creatures Anathma there's a note from a pursar, and at the end it tells the recipient to go to some training centre and "sit in the BLUE" chair. I swear ive come across this reference before, but im not sure whether its referring to popular culture or actual unironic RL stuff.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS