Jump to content



Photo

New Treasure Rewards Variant - from John Goodenough


  • Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 talismanisland

talismanisland

    Harbourmaster

  • Members
  • 1,921 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 02:08 AM

There were a few people worried that the new Treasure cards would not get as much play as they deserve so John Goodenough has posted a new variant rule for you to try over at BoardGameGeek.

"Players may use this variant if they have The Dungeon expansion and want the Treasure Cards to be more accessible. Whenever players complete a Warlock Quest, they may receive one card randomly drawn from the Treasure deck instead of receiving a Talisman for their reward."

That should help liven things up!

Note that this is a random draw rather than rooting through the cards and choosing like when you are in the Treasure Chamber.


Harbourmaster at Talisman Island - 15 magical years and counting!

Sometimes I even update the Talisman Island Facebook Page!

#2 JCHendee

JCHendee

    Member

  • Members
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 02:31 AM

Nice notion... should be fun!  And makes the Warlock one place to visit more often.



#3 Feldrik

Feldrik

    Member

  • Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 02:53 AM

I like it, I think the Warlock and Castle are under developed. This of course means we can do all sorts of things!

I may try this and a similar idea at the Castle, discard a defeated dragon or giant and get a treasure or a Talisman. You would not get to gain strength from this discard however.



#4 Nemomon

Nemomon

    Member

  • Members
  • 787 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:17 AM

I think that Rule is not good. Getting random Treasure card just for a 2 Gold, or simply going to the Cursed Glade is very cheap. More, each time when we're teleported, we must encounter new space, so after finishing Warlock Quest, we're teleported to it, we gain one Treasure, then we can take next Quest to get next Treasure and so on... as we will get finish all easy quests.


Enter the Talisman Island!

#5 talismanisland

talismanisland

    Harbourmaster

  • Members
  • 1,921 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:34 AM

When you are teleported back to the Warlock, your encounter is to be given your Talisman/Treasure.


Harbourmaster at Talisman Island - 15 magical years and counting!

Sometimes I even update the Talisman Island Facebook Page!

#6 Nemomon

Nemomon

    Member

  • Members
  • 787 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:41 AM

Even if, You're right (in fact, You're right), still price of a Treasure (some of them are very powerful) card is a very cheap. In the Warlock space we're able to get half of the Treasure Deck almost for a free (symbilic price).


Enter the Talisman Island!

#7 Malthule

Malthule

    Member

  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 05:22 AM

Here is what we play ...

 

Warlocks Cave (House Rule)

Upon arriving at the Warlocks Cave you now have three options:

1) Draw an adventure OR dungeon card. Do not draw a card if there is already one there.
2) Visit the Warlock and accept a quest (normal rules)
3) Follow the Warlock into the depths of his cave in an attempt to acquire a treasure card.

If you follow the Warlock into the depths of his cave, miss your next turn. At the beginning of your
following turn you must roll a die and consult the following table. (You may spend a fate counter on this roll but instead of rerolling you may only add +1 to the overall die roll). Whatever number you roll for your result, you may pick that option or any lesser numbered result instead.
 

1) The Warlock steals all your gold and abandons you.
2) The Warlock grants you a spell if your craft allows.
3) The Warlock grants you a strength or a craft for 2 gold. (1 strength or craft per visit)
4) The Warlock grants you a spell of your choice at the cost of 2 gold if your craft allows.
5) The Warlock offers you a random treasure card at the cost of 4 gold.
6) The Warlock offers you a random treasure card at the cost of 3 gold.

7) The Warlock offers you a random treasure card free. (Achievable only by spending a fate)


 



#8 Velhart

Velhart

    Member

  • Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 06:33 AM

I agree with Nemomon.

It is a cheap way to get treasure cards.

I stick with the old rule.

Why should a lot of the treasure cards be in play?

If i have one treasure, then i am happy with it or i try to defeat the LOD a second time.

With more players, there is more chance to get treasure cards !



#9 Nemomon

Nemomon

    Member

  • Members
  • 787 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:03 AM

Velhart said:

I agree with Nemomon.

It is a cheap way to get treasure cards.

I stick with the old rule.

Why should a lot of the treasure cards be in play?

If i have one treasure, then i am happy with it or i try to defeat the LOD a second time.

With more players, there is more chance to get treasure cards !

 

Because rest Treasures, except for Wand and Cloak will not see the game ever. Eventually Owl will be used as well. Rest probably not. Thjat RUle was made to bring other Treasures to the game, as well as to use Warlock Quests more than usually (almost never).


Enter the Talisman Island!

#10 Velhart

Velhart

    Member

  • Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:29 AM

Nemomon said:

Velhart said:

 

I agree with Nemomon.

It is a cheap way to get treasure cards.

I stick with the old rule.

Why should a lot of the treasure cards be in play?

If i have one treasure, then i am happy with it or i try to defeat the LOD a second time.

With more players, there is more chance to get treasure cards !

 

 

 

Because rest Treasures, except for Wand and Cloak will not see the game ever. Eventually Owl will be used as well. Rest probably not. Thjat RUle was made to bring other Treasures to the game, as well as to use Warlock Quests more than usually (almost never).

But i draw at random my friend

So.. all the treasures will see the light someday

Off course, if you stick with the rule from the rulebook, then you take the best treasures, and the weak objects will never be used

Today i draw the Bag of carrying. i was happy with it

No stealing from me in pvp Take your hands off me



#11 Nemomon

Nemomon

    Member

  • Members
  • 787 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:43 AM

Velhart said:

Nemomon said:

 

Velhart said:

 

I agree with Nemomon.

It is a cheap way to get treasure cards.

I stick with the old rule.

Why should a lot of the treasure cards be in play?

If i have one treasure, then i am happy with it or i try to defeat the LOD a second time.

With more players, there is more chance to get treasure cards !

 

 

 

Because rest Treasures, except for Wand and Cloak will not see the game ever. Eventually Owl will be used as well. Rest probably not. Thjat RUle was made to bring other Treasures to the game, as well as to use Warlock Quests more than usually (almost never).

 

 

But i draw at random my friend

So.. all the treasures will see the light someday

Off course, if you stick with the rule from the rulebook, then you take the best treasures, and the weak objects will never be used

Today i draw the Bag of carrying. i was happy with it

No stealing from me in pvp Take your hands off me

 

You know, I must follow the Rules discussion here, because I cannot know, if someone is playing according to them or not

Playing with the Rules, most of them won't see the light. Maybe once, in the deeper darkness, by a blind player who's actually is singing the "Stop The Rock" song... but most of Talisman players exactly know, what they would want to take from Treasures. And for sure that isn't t he Talisman, and probably not the Elixier of Life &c.

Bag is a weak item. It gaves possibility to keep only 7 items. Sorry, but Concealed Pouch is a way better than the Bag. And the risk of losing all Objects stored inside of it (it's rather easy to destroy the Bag, and You exactly know that ), so it would be used only to keep some useless items.


Enter the Talisman Island!

#12 Velhart

Velhart

    Member

  • Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:22 AM

Nemomon said:

Velhart said:

 

Nemomon said:

 

Velhart said:

 

I agree with Nemomon.

It is a cheap way to get treasure cards.

I stick with the old rule.

Why should a lot of the treasure cards be in play?

If i have one treasure, then i am happy with it or i try to defeat the LOD a second time.

With more players, there is more chance to get treasure cards !

 

 

 

Because rest Treasures, except for Wand and Cloak will not see the game ever. Eventually Owl will be used as well. Rest probably not. Thjat RUle was made to bring other Treasures to the game, as well as to use Warlock Quests more than usually (almost never).

 

 

But i draw at random my friend

So.. all the treasures will see the light someday

Off course, if you stick with the rule from the rulebook, then you take the best treasures, and the weak objects will never be used

Today i draw the Bag of carrying. i was happy with it

No stealing from me in pvp Take your hands off me

 

 

 

You know, I must follow the Rules discussion here, because I cannot know, if someone is playing according to them or not

Playing with the Rules, most of them won't see the light. Maybe once, in the deeper darkness, by a blind player who's actually is singing the "Stop The Rock" song... but most of Talisman players exactly know, what they would want to take from Treasures. And for sure that isn't t he Talisman, and probably not the Elixier of Life &c.

Bag is a weak item. It gaves possibility to keep only 7 items. Sorry, but Concealed Pouch is a way better than the Bag. And the risk of losing all Objects stored inside of it (it's rather easy to destroy the Bag, and You exactly know that ), so it would be used only to keep some useless items.

Yeah i know, but that's the way of random drawing !

Be happy with it, or sell it to the high bidder !

That would be 1 gold at the city ( i better stick with my Bag thenUnless you have the merchant( 3 gold worth !

PS: i use the wrong word..( it is the Bag of Holding lol) But luckily, we talk about the same item)

Oke.. Concealed Pouch is more secure than a Bag of Holding but it can only hold one object ! 

So you must make the right choice.

Today... i have them both in my possesion I can freely play on my flute while walking along valleys and plains

 



#13 thorckmard

thorckmard

    Member

  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 12:53 AM

huuumm if i remember well the bag of holding and the concealed pouch are the same..except that the bag can carry more object than teh pouch... they both can't be stealed /destroyed by other players or  by spells...

 

So IMHO the bag is far more better than the pouch (well if you don't count the fact that you loose 8 objects when you lose the bag instead of one if you lose the pouch  )



#14 Velhart

Velhart

    Member

  • Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 01:08 AM

thorckmard said:

huuumm if i remember well the bag of holding and the concealed pouch are the same..except that the bag can carry more object than teh pouch... they both can't be stealed /destroyed by other players or  by spells...

 

So IMHO the bag is far more better than the pouch (well if you don't count the fact that you loose 8 objects when you lose the bag instead of one if you lose the pouch  )

Bag and pouch can be destroyed by a shatter spell ( The only spells that you can't cast on it are spells that has something to do with stealing

If you shatter the bag, you lost everything but if you shatter the pouch you lose nothing. ( it is not mentioned on the pouch...

 



#15 Nemomon

Nemomon

    Member

  • Members
  • 787 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 02:34 AM

Also Pouch nor item inside of it aren't changing Your carry limits.


Enter the Talisman Island!

#16 thorckmard

thorckmard

    Member

  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 02:54 AM

the pouch still count as one item like the bag..

I still think the bag is far more better than the pouch ...it's like a mule without less chance of loosing it (teh shatter spel doesn't get out very often now with the large number of spell with both reaper and dugeon..) and for the pouch i always house ruled that if you loose the pouch you loose the item inside!

But i agree there are better treasure in the deck !

I have yet to see one in play since our attempts to enter the dungeon was at least ..Deadly :-)

poor Troll : the first to try the dugeon and he has only drawned spirits!! he was beaten to pieces by them (at my great pleasure  since he was around 12 strength ....in way to become unstopable). Other player was really cold to enter the Dungeon when they seen the horde of powerfull spirits lying on the board :-)

 

 



#17 Velhart

Velhart

    Member

  • Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 03:17 AM

thorckmard said:

the pouch still count as one item like the bag..

I still think the bag is far more better than the pouch ...it's like a mule without less chance of loosing it (teh shatter spel doesn't get out very often now with the large number of spell with both reaper and dugeon..) and for the pouch i always house ruled that if you loose the pouch you loose the item inside!

But i agree there are better treasure in the deck !

I have yet to see one in play since our attempts to enter the dungeon was at least ..Deadly :-)

poor Troll : the first to try the dugeon and he has only drawned spirits!! he was beaten to pieces by them (at my great pleasure  since he was around 12 strength ....in way to become unstopable). Other player was really cold to enter the Dungeon when they seen the horde of powerfull spirits lying on the board :-)

 

 

No.. The pouch nor the item does not effect the carrying limit.

But the Bag of Holding counts to the carrying limit.



#18 Velhart

Velhart

    Member

  • Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 07:02 PM

Anyway.. some of the treasures are too powerful to be drawn at the Warlock, even if it is random !

What if you draw the Cloak of Feathers, then you have (almost)won....

Nah, i am not doing it.. ( i choose for random at  the dungeon..)

But other regions can add treasure cards too, so that will increase the chances to get a treasure card..

Off course, i think that they will be as strong as the Lord of Darkness...

So i think that each player get's one treasure or maybe two per game...

 



#19 Tons-Home-rules

Tons-Home-rules

    Member

  • Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 05:25 PM

To balance out Quest cards vs Treasure Cards, just increase the amount of Quest cards you need to complete to get a (random) treasure.

Here's a variant we use.

Unlike the main rules, even the Warlock ending is hidden.  You don't get the 4 "freebie" quests at the start.  You get to CoC with no quests done?  Sucks to be you.  Go all the way back (as per "turning back", but adding the home rule that you can do it from CoC if Warlock ending), and start.  You do the 4 Quests and no Warlock ending?  Boy, you wasted your time.

Meaning, you have to get to the middle region "legit" (having a Warlock quest, let alone 4, at the start pretty much negates the Sentinel).  Then, do it 3 more times to get a total of 4 "In case" it's a warlock ending.

Then, on the 5th Quest card, IF you hand it in, you get teleported to fight the LoD.  Win or lose, you get TP-ed back to the Warlock's cave.  (Since we use the variant of "you loses mules, horses and big followers in the dungeon", this can hurt.

OR, do up to 8 Quests (4 for the possible ending, and 4 for the treasure) and discard 4 completed quests to pick a random Treasure with no LoD fight.  You can't do it again if you have a Treasure on your person, otherwise, you can do it all over again, starting at quest 5 since the first 4 are "for the ending."

And, since I'm English Second language and likely lost you all with the convoluted stuff above, just think of it this way...

If 4 Quests gives you a Talisman now, then 8 Quests sounds about right for a freebie treasure.  Some quests will take away counters, followers, spells, items, so 8 is about right (for us) to get a Treasure.   Too much for you?  Pick 4 Quests per Treasure.  Too little?  Pick 12 Quests.  Put counters on a single completed quest, to keep track, if you're running out of Quests for people to do.

That way, you can use the variant, but it doesn't negate the dungeon.  Just gives an alternative.






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS