Photo

How about instead of Timescape, FFG does an Ocean/Sea big box?

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 bioball

bioball

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 03:21 PM

So if I have this right, the 5 expansions of Talisman are: The Dungeon, Timescape,  The Mountains, The City and a dragon-themed expansion.

How about changing the Timescape expansion to something involving an ocean/beach/island setting? I think this would better keep with the archetypal fantasy setting that all the Talisman expansions, except Timescape, share while at the same time providing a new setting not seen before.

I mean who does not want to fight giant crabs, sea monsters and evil pirates? You could have an albetros follower that makes all your rolls in combat "1" unless you pay a fate token to roll as normal. Maybe you could gain a seahorse or hippocampus follower that allows faster water movement, hire ships and visit a fishing village with similar rolling mechanisms like the City/Tavern/Village.

Thoughts or am I just totally off base?

#2 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:25 PM

bioball said:

So if I have this right, the 5 expansions of Talisman are: The Dungeon, Timescape,  The Mountains, The City and a dragon-themed expansion.

How about changing the Timescape expansion to something involving an ocean/beach/island setting? I think this would better keep with the archetypal fantasy setting that all the Talisman expansions, except Timescape, share while at the same time providing a new setting not seen before.

I mean who does not want to fight giant crabs, sea monsters and evil pirates? You could have an albetros follower that makes all your rolls in combat "1" unless you pay a fate token to roll as normal. Maybe you could gain a seahorse or hippocampus follower that allows faster water movement, hire ships and visit a fishing village with similar rolling mechanisms like the City/Tavern/Village.

Thoughts or am I just totally off base?

You forgot the Forest and Dragon Tower expansion !

Everything is fine for me instead of Timescape.

They can make sea monsters as cards maybe, but if all regions are on a corner + tower in midde) than that is enough for me i think.

You need already a very big table to play it on...

I heard that some people like to see City adventures or wildernis adventures etc

Cards are always welcome 

PS: I remember that someone called it Talismanisland 

You can make the river also dangerous.... ( You can cross so easily to the other side with a raft

It looks like if the river is empy

#3 boxcornersdiety

boxcornersdiety

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:27 PM

Stick it on the village corner.

#4 Nemomon

Nemomon

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:28 PM

As a Timescape geek, i'm saying:

VETO!!

However I'm open for new expansions

Enter the Talisman Island!

#5 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:36 PM

boxcornersdiety said:

The Forest expansion is already there

#6 dth

dth

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 12:20 AM

Nemomon said:

As a Timescape geek, i'm saying:

VETO!!

However I'm open for new expansions

I VETO YOU!!!! ;)

#7 Feldrik

Feldrik

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:09 AM

Timescape could be retooled to represent an ocean voyage.  Each stop on the ocean would be either an island or an option to get to an advantageous spot on the board. The trick, as with all expansions, is to keep them focused on the goal of the game and make them integrate while being stand alone options.

Another way to go would be to make it an optional replacement for the inner region. I would prefer a more fantasy themed 'Astral Plane' myself, but the concept is similar to Timescape.

#8 boxcornersdiety

boxcornersdiety

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:21 AM

The Forest could surround the Chapel instead...

Or... ditch the City board and instead put an ocean there with a new City deck and encounters taking palce on the old City square. It would be like the "Seafaring Colonial" expansion pack. I guess they would have to bring back the Pirate character though.

Velhart said:

boxcornersdiety said:

#9 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:03 AM

boxcornersdiety said:

The Forest could surround the Chapel instead...

Or... ditch the City board and instead put an ocean there with a new City deck and encounters taking palce on the old City square. It would be like the "Seafaring Colonial" expansion pack. I guess they would have to bring back the Pirate character though.

Velhart said:

boxcornersdiety said:

There is only one forest space, and that is by the corner of the village space.

So.. it cannot be on another corner of the board. ( It would be very weird and not logical..)

#10 grim_reaper_zig

grim_reaper_zig

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:13 AM

What is timescape exactly? i'm getting the sense that it involves the future, and since it's by games-workshop (or was) that it would have space marines and such? If so, that would be freaking spectacular if FFG did that. if i'm wrong correct me please.

#11 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:36 AM

grim_reaper_zig said:

What is timescape exactly? i'm getting the sense that it involves the future, and since it's by games-workshop (or was) that it would have space marines and such? If so, that would be freaking spectacular if FFG did that. if i'm wrong correct me please.

You could say that it is indeed the future. What can a warrior do against someone with a gun? The warrior will slash with his sword and before he knows it.... BANG !

Machine guns, chainsaws etc...

A freaking Chainsaw killer would be cool, but what can a sword do against a chainsaw?

#12 Nemomon

Nemomon

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:40 AM

Don't be being like a dog in the manager, like in the past fans completely destroyed The Forge expansion to the Heroes of Might and Magic 3 (very strong relation to the Moght and Magic series), they publisher, 3DO released an Armageddon Blade with a Conflux castle.

Enter the Talisman Island!

#13 bioball

bioball

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:20 AM

I think having the Space Marines and Bolterguns in Talisman would break the "voice" of the game (genetically altered super humans with  advanced technology > warrior with two swords). It would be more about playing Warhammer 40K a different way than about Talisman. I enjoy the "fantasy classic" nature of the game, good v. evil, wizards, magic, dragons and visiting realms that have occupied most all sword & sorcery stories (dungeons, forests, mountains, large cites). Which again, is why I think and ocean/sea expansion would work well-- its a universal theme. I might enjoy and H.P. Lovecraft expansion to Talisman, but then why not just go an play Arkham.

#14 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:29 AM

bioball said:

I think having the Space Marines and Bolterguns in Talisman would break the "voice" of the game (genetically altered super humans with  advanced technology > warrior with two swords). It would be more about playing Warhammer 40K a different way than about Talisman. I enjoy the "fantasy classic" nature of the game, good v. evil, wizards, magic, dragons and visiting realms that have occupied most all sword & sorcery stories (dungeons, forests, mountains, large cites). Which again, is why I think and ocean/sea expansion would work well-- its a universal theme. I might enjoy and H.P. Lovecraft expansion to Talisman, but then why not just go an play Arkham.

FFG could made a big harbour alongside the city where ships are coming in and out.

Drunken pirates are living there, or something else.

But then again... i also like a sewer where you can fight a horde of enemies who want to invade the city

#15 Crag78

Crag78

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:29 AM

In the 2nd edition Timescape existed only because there were Warhammer 40k elements in it just like there were Warhammer fantasy elements in the core game and other expansions.I was among the fans who loved Timescape but I don't think it should be redone and belong to the Talisman universe anymore.At least not in the 4th edition in my opinion.In addition to the future boards for every corners they still can release independant boards just like the ones in Arkham Horror.The possibilities are endless.

#16 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:36 AM

Crag78 said:

In the 2nd edition Timescape existed only because there were Warhammer 40k elements in it just like there were Warhammer fantasy elements in the core game and other expansions.I was among the fans who loved Timescape but I don't think it should be redone and belong to the Talisman universe anymore.At least not in the 4th edition in my opinion.In addition to the future boards for every corners they still can release independant boards just like the ones in Arkham Horror.The possibilities are endless.

If it is endless.. that's good

But what about the table space?

How many boards must be added to talisman....

Off course.. i should say... let them coming !

But i must already be prepared for enough room for 4 regions !

#17 Feldrik

Feldrik

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 09:52 AM

Too many expansions can make the game endless but sometimes alot is good. It makes a great party game if you can keep the drinks away from the boards.

Warp Zone has some fun expansioons for 2e but they could easily work for 4e as well. They have a different way to play a huge game as well.

http://www.randomdice.com/games/talisman/mega/default.asp

A city board does not excite me but an expanded city and an ocean of peril could be more interesting.

#18 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 10:25 AM

I hope it will not turn out like this !

Cards are always welcome and the regions and tower too but if it will turn out as what you see on the picture, then i will not like it anymore i think.

Too many spaces to walk and you need a LOT of table spaces.

How can this be fun?

#19 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 10:28 AM

I agree. Far too many boards. Keep it simple, 4 boards around the edges and 1 in the middle, and some new endings will do me fine!

Ell.

#20 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 10:35 AM

talismanamsilat said:

I agree. Far too many boards. Keep it simple, 4 boards around the edges and 1 in the middle, and some new endings will do me fine!

Ell.

Indeed

We have the same thoughts

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS