Fonts

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Bitterman

Bitterman

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 07:56 AM

I'm a geek (hey, this is an RPG forum right?) so when I make handouts for my players, I like to make them as professional-looking as my meagre art talent allows.

One way I like to do that is to use a consistent font to what's in the official products. Does anybody know what fonts (including sizes preferably) are used in Dark Heresy books?

I'm guessing the chapter titles / drop character font is unique to Dark Heresy and unavailable (though, FFG, wanna do us a favour...?) but can anyone suggest a similar alternative?

Then there seems to be an all-caps font for paragraph headings, a lower-caps font for sub-headings, and the paragraph font. The later also gets borrowed (in slightly larger form) for table column headings.

Suggestions welcome! (And yes, I know fonts aren't always free - I have a good selection though, it's just working out which to use, or what free alternatives are available).

#2 incarna

incarna

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 09:45 AM

I’m a professional web developer/graphic designer and, after a cursory search, I was unable to identify the Dark Heresy title font. Perhaps a forum moderator can shoot an e-mail over to FFG graphics guy and let us know… I’m actually a bit curious myself now.

#3 Hellebore

Hellebore

• Members
  • 556 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 02:48 PM

If you go here:

darkreign40k.com/forum/index.php

the post of mine at the top of the page has a font I made in fontcreator (using a free font someone else made) that looks like the DH title font.

Cheers,

Hellebore

#4 MKX

MKX

• Members
  • 898 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 03:35 PM

Caslon Antique is pretty close for using in main body text, there's also a custom made fonts out there which have lots of 40k symbols in it for most of the major species.

Requiem isnt a bad font either

#5 Varius

Varius

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 07:56 PM

Columbus MT

Columbus MT (Bold)

Celestia Antiquia (Bold)

Celestia Antiquia (Semibold)

REQUIEM - Inquisitor ( I believe this is a custom GW font, so you will have to find a substitute for it)

These are the fonts used in the Errata PDF

#6 Varius

Varius

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 08:03 PM

And Lassigue D'Mato is the scripty font they use  behind titles and such

#7 Hellebore

Hellebore

• Members
  • 556 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 12:08 AM

Varius said:

REQUIEM - Inquisitor ( I believe this is a custom GW font, so you will have to find a substitute for it)

A link to which is in the first post I made in this thread. I made it for my own use but people are welcome to it. So long as anyone can actually be bothered to follow the link.

Hellebore

#8 Varius

Varius

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 12:34 AM

You need a forum account to view your attachment I think, so I wasnt able to tell how close yours was.  And what I said wasnt wrong, its a custom GW font, correct?  You just re-created it.

#9 Hellebore

Hellebore

• Members
  • 556 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 01:32 AM

You said you'd need to find a substitute, that was the link I referred to. I didn't know you had to have a forum account. I can't attach it to this forum, it only allows links.

Hellebore

#10 Bitterman

Bitterman

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 05:28 AM

Awesome response, cheers one and all. Any ideas on point size? (I can probably figure this out for myself with some trial and error but... I'm lazy...!)

#11 Varius

Varius

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 01:05 PM

Bitterman said:

Awesome response, cheers one and all. Any ideas on point size? (I can probably figure this out for myself with some trial and error but... I'm lazy...!)

Left hand bar is 30.86 point Requiem (not sure on the tracking)

Body copy is 10 point Columbus with 12 point leading

Headings are 35.99 point Requiem with a -40 tracking

Sub headings are 11.2 point CelestiaAntiqua Semibold

The dropcaps are 42.64 Requiem

Behind headings and sub headings is Lassigue D'Mato that matches its size.

#12 Bitterman

Bitterman

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 09:24 PM

Wow  that's a detailed answer! 35.99 point... really? 36 point was too big then?

#13 Varius

Varius

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 03:55 AM

I didnt want people coming back saying their sheets were off by .01 ;)

I just straight up copied the info from illustraitor

#14 TorogTarkdacil

TorogTarkdacil

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 09:12 AM

I could advise font MORPHEUS, it´s pretty close to Requiem-Inquisitor ,-)

#15 Aajz_Solari

Aajz_Solari

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:25 AM

Hey, there! Now that DarkReign40k seems to be down, is there any other way to get that Requiem-Inquisitor font somewhere? So far searching the net hasn't yielded any results…

Can anyone please help me out with this one? Thanks a lot in advance!

#16 Armour

Armour

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:20 PM

@Aajz_Solari

Some of the old user-generated material from Dark Reign can be found here http://mmsprofiler.com/PDF/ where is is being hosted by messiahcide, one of the old users.  This is a temporary location though, and is likely to disappear some time in the future.

Looking though those, the only font I found was in the dark11.zip file.  Not sure if that is what you were looking for.

#17 Hooly

Hooly

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:12 AM

Thanks to the earlier posters for finding out the fonts. I was able to find everything else than the Columbus MT as a free download. As I started looking for substitutes, I noticed that the fonts history is based in late-fifteenth-century or early-sixteenth-century Spanish printing creating a typeface suited to contemporary tastes and needs (http://www.fonts.com...maging/columbus).

You'll find from http://typophile.com/node/88654 many suggestions what might be a good replacement. From those, the fell types (http://iginomarini.c...-revival-fonts/), seem to be the only free choises. And from those, I'd imagine you would like to choose one that is not too quirky to maintain good readability. So, whith that in mind, I'm going to try French Canon, Double Pica and Great Primer.

#18 Cogniczar

Cogniczar

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:14 PM

If you are still looking, I have this to offer you

http://darkreign.org...nquisitor M.zip

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS