Talisman Dungeon - Indication for future expansions

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 Hunter42

Hunter42

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:33 PM

Did anyone think about the fact that the L-formed expansion of Talisman Dungeon may imply three more L-formed expansions to form a full outer ring ?

Anyone thinks the same :-) ???

Michael

#2 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:46 PM

That was the format used in the 3rd edition of Talisman -

It has also been alluded to by the feature that was published in Game Trade Magazine -

"Surrounding the land of Talisman are four great kingdoms known as Regions. Each Region offers great opportunities,as well as terrible dangers, for adventurers brave enough to enter them. This expansion allows you to enter one of these extraordinary areas – the Dungeon Region ruled by the dreaded Lord of Darkness."

Harbourmaster at Talisman Island - 15 magical years and counting!

Sometimes I even update the Talisman Island Facebook Page!

#3 Hunter42

Hunter42

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:54 PM

Thanks,

i did not know third edition. Only question remaining: Which one is the next expansion and when will it be released :-)

Michael

#4 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 12:19 AM

Hunter42 said:

Thanks,

i did not know third edition. Only question remaining: Which one is the next expansion and when will it be released :-)

Michael

That is not confirmed yet.

The only thing what we know is that it has something to do with a lot of toad encounters.

It could be a small expansion or maybe a new region with a lot of toad encounters??

I feel that the next region will be the City expansion or maybe the mountains.. because it was included in the dungeon of doom expansion in third edition...

#5 grim_reaper_zig

grim_reaper_zig

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 08:06 AM

Velhart said:

Hunter42 said:

Thanks,

Michael

a new region with a lot of toad encounters??

The swamp of frogs!!! lol, the boss their is the frog mom, who has 20 craft and strenght, and if you live your a toad!

#6 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 09:13 AM

grim_reaper_zig said:

Velhart said:

Hunter42 said:

Thanks,

Michael

The swamp of frogs!!! lol, the boss their is the frog mom, who has 20 craft and strenght, and if you live your a toad!

Haha

well... in the Forest expansion, there is a swamp there. They could made it larger and include a frog king or queen lol

#7 grim_reaper_zig

grim_reaper_zig

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 10:54 AM

Velhart said:

grim_reaper_zig said:

Velhart said:

Hunter42 said:

Thanks,

Michael

Haha

well... in the Forest expansion, there is a swamp there. They could made it larger and include a frog king or queen lol

Lol i'm picturing a HUGE bull frog with a big crown, and is wearing a big red cape and has a lily pad throne lol.

#8 JimmyDark

JimmyDark

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 07:41 PM

If they're doing another small expantion next I hope they include the multiple endings cards from 2nd ed! Oh.. and the Vampire, I love the Vampire.

#9 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 09:18 PM

JimmyDark said:

If they're doing another small expantion next I hope they include the multiple endings cards from 2nd ed! Oh.. and the Vampire, I love the Vampire.

I agree !

I want the different ending cards and dragon tower so that you can choose how you want to end the game.

But it's easier to make ending cards first, so let them come

The Vampire is one of my favorite characters. Maybe a bit overpowered in third edition, but i really like him.

My wish list

1 Vampire

2 Chaos Warrior

3 Dark Elf

4 Chaos Sorcerer

5 Leprechaun

6 a Sprite would be nice..

#10 bioball

bioball

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 08:11 AM

If FFG does the Talisman expansions like Arkham, then the next expansion will be a small box followed by a large box revamp of one of the regions. So all the expansions would look like this: Small (Reaper)- Large (Dungeon)- Small (XXX)- Large (region 2)- Small (XXX) - Large (region 3)- Small (XXX)- Large (region 4)-- end of line.

#11 kalle

kalle

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 08:32 PM

Fortunately I have a Warhammer game table in our garage, otherwise adding any more expansion to Talisman would not be possible... The Dungeon (which I just got, and we started playing, Yippeeee!) fits the living room table, and perhaps an other one on the same long edge (city corner) might fit in, but after that it is bye bye to playing in living room. Even with two board corner expansions holding the players items will become an issue also.

Have You had any experience how the Dungeon, and espesially the further expansions influence player interaction ? So far players have been mostly in close proximity, but if there is another region in every corner, it feels like the middle game will be more likely series of solo adventures ? This is not critisism for expansions, I'm more than happy with the idea of being able to expand Talisman, and I will get any available expansion as soon as possible.

#12 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 12:35 AM

kalle said:

Fortunately I have a Warhammer game table in our garage, otherwise adding any more expansion to Talisman would not be possible... The Dungeon (which I just got, and we started playing, Yippeeee!) fits the living room table, and perhaps an other one on the same long edge (city corner) might fit in, but after that it is bye bye to playing in living room. Even with two board corner expansions holding the players items will become an issue also.

Have You had any experience how the Dungeon, and espesially the further expansions influence player interaction ? So far players have been mostly in close proximity, but if there is another region in every corner, it feels like the middle game will be more likely series of solo adventures ? This is not critisism for expansions, I'm more than happy with the idea of being able to expand Talisman, and I will get any available expansion as soon as possible.

Well.. i must say that i like more to walk in a region than on the main board. Each player follows his own path.

When it become dangerous in a region, then i run to the main board again.

Another interesting point is that i like to level up myself first before i go to a region. You can see already that the dungeon can be very dangerous.

I have not experience it yet with this edition, but i know it from third edition..

If you go to a dungeon with a strength of 3 etc. nothing awaits you there than only death

The Mountain region is also very dangerous. You encounter snowstorms, hidden chasm,tumbling boulders, ice dragons& wyverns and with the howl of the wendigo, if you lose a battle/psychic combat this turn or the next turn, then you are instant death

The mountains is dangerous for followers

#13 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

• Members
  • 1,623 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 02:15 AM

kalle said:

Expansions that add board spaces should be designed in order to allow more Character interaction. I've not played Dungeon yet: I received the parcel yesterday and I've never played 2nd or 3rd Dungeon, but I'm sure that the new board will significantly reduce PvP. Every expansion acts this way, including Card Expansions; Reaper adds many new Followers and Objects, and players needn't fight against each other for the best weapon (Runesword or Holy Lance) or the best Objects (Ring, Solomon's Crown); it's always better to draw cards if you don't have significant chances to win.

But design might change things. The most obvious thing I would try to introduce in Talisman are "quests" = tasks to accomplish in order to gain a benefit. City Expansion could be the starting point for Quests and these should be conceived to allow multiplayer partecipation. Once a quest is drawn/revealed, all Characters can try to accomplish it. This might include travelling to many places, slaying monsters, finding Objects and also fighting other Characters. FFG developed an excellent quest system with games like World of Warcraft the Adventure Game. Why shouldn't they introduce quests in Talisman too?

If they add a City, a Forest and a Mountain board that simply give new options for Character boosting, they will surely make a Talisman less focused on PvP and very similar to a solo adventure. FFG mustn't make this mistake; they should not forget to introduce features that allow player interaction when the figures are in opposite board sections. Spells aren't enough. Quests are my idea, but there are alternate endings and many other things to develop. Just keep focused and don't forget to expand EVERY aspect of the game, not only its card number as they've done with Dungeon (which an awesome expansion by all means).

#14 bioball

bioball

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 03:43 AM

I think I would have to agree with The_Warlock, I recently got Talisman and really enjoy it alot which prompted me to get the Reaper expansion. But I might hold off on the large expansion because they seem to encourage the players to separate instead of pushing them closer together. To me part of the fun of the game is the player v. player interactions that will eventually arise as players make a rush to the Crown of Command.

I have also always wondered if the larger boards are worth traveling too. Its seems that they are take just as long to move through and are far more dangerous. Maybe I just need to buy one and shut my mouth until then

#15 Crag78

Crag78

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 01:17 AM

That's why smaller expansions is needed between bigger expansions.To fill the hole and add elements to the core game.It's true that Talisman become a more solo adventure game with more boards.There's one rule that I use to remedy that.Allowing only one talisman in the game.That forces players to confront themselves and take the talisman instead of lives.The talisman become available again only when a character enters the valley of fire.As for board expansions,I hope the city will be the next one.

#16 Malthule

Malthule

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 08:00 AM

The rules also state (not that you have to have a rule for this but ... ) towards the end of the booklet, that you can play talisman without the extra boards and just benefit from the new spells and characters. Extra boards are cool as long as each one integrates new ways to summon characters to you from wherever they are ... aka summoning circles, arena's etc ...

It is true, can you imagine how useless the reaper would become once there are four realm boards in play?

I think I saw it mentioned in a different thread an option to make the reaper more versatile in movement but I don't know where I read it. My idea would be something like this ...

The Reaper moves on anyones dice roll of  "1" (per normal rules)

When it is The Reapers turn to roll for movement, if the reaper rolls a "6" ...  instead of normal movement he summons a character to him and that character must roll vs the reaper as usual. NO HIDING FROM THE REAPER!!!!

#17 GrimGuvna

GrimGuvna

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 09:58 AM

Malthule said:

It is true, can you imagine how useless the reaper would become once there are four realm boards in play?

I think I saw it mentioned in a different thread an option to make the reaper more versatile in movement but I don't know where I read it. My idea would be something like this ...

The Reaper moves on anyones dice roll of  "1" (per normal rules)

When it is The Reapers turn to roll for movement, if the reaper rolls a "6" ...  instead of normal movement he summons a character to him and that character must roll vs the reaper as usual. NO HIDING FROM THE REAPER!!!! 

I thinks that was the thread I started abont using the reaper with the Dungeon highlighting the same problem.  I came up with the same solution but instaed of summoning the player to him, he teleports to the character of the players choice.  This makes sense and keeps him in the game especially when more realms get released.  We all know the Reaper is capable of doing it because one of the results on the reaper card is to teleport to another caracter so why not be able to do it in the first place.

#18 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 01:02 PM

bioball said:

If FFG does the Talisman expansions like Arkham, then the next expansion will be a small box followed by a large box revamp of one of the regions. So all the expansions would look like this: Small (Reaper)- Large (Dungeon)- Small (XXX)- Large (region 2)- Small (XXX) - Large (region 3)- Small (XXX)- Large (region 4)-- end of line.

That would mean that we get a small one now

The main board still needs some cards, so it's not a problem for me if FFG release a small one.

Amd we get some new characters too

The cards that we need for the main board are:

Taxation, Electrical Storm, Berserker, Giant Lizard, Highwayman, Manticore, Ogre, Chinese Dragon, Red Dragon, Shade, Band of Zombies, Phantasm, Sphinx, Porter, Pegasus, holy lance, winged boots, Halloween, Volcano, Lich, Centaur,Cyclops, Judge, secret door, Griffon,        Harpy,  Ghast, Vampire, vampire bats, Pedlar, man- at- arms,

For Dungeon:

Altar, Gong, giant spiders, Skaven, Rat ogre.

---------

This is not including Dragon expansion..

#19 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 11:39 PM

Oeps something goes wrong. This one is posted by mistake..

#20 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 11:40 PM

One exception is that Harpies have a text for the Mountain expansion( as card for the main board)

And Centaur excist in the Forest expansion.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS