Jump to content



Photo

Playtesting


  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 EldarBanshee

EldarBanshee

    Member

  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 01:34 AM

 Just strated playing ToI and I loved it from the first I laid my eeys on the game. After some games I decided to try and create a scenario of my own. Now, I am still a very new player, so I may have screwed up the balance left, right and center. This is why I am asking all you more experienced players to have a go at the scenario and tell me how it can be improved.

The scenario name is "Piedmont Assault" and can be found under the playtest scenarios on the FFG website: http://app.fantasyfl..._scenarios.html

Thank you for your time and feedback.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



#2 derros87

derros87

    Member

  • Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 07:19 PM

ill try it out soon



#3 derros87

derros87

    Member

  • Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 08:02 PM

im very sorry but i couldnt find anyone to play the game with me and i cant play a boardgame solitaire cause everytime i try i always get really bored and just clean it up



#4 EldarBanshee

EldarBanshee

    Member

  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 01:05 AM

 Ah, that's alright, of course. If anyone does play it I would like to hear their feedback, though.

Also found a few issues myself. It should be relatively balanced if both gain their reinforcements, but if only one gets them and the other does not then it is very hard for the other to win. I think the US forces have a slight advantage there as they have an easier tiome of getting their reinforcements. Any thoughts on that part?



#5 Artemis

Artemis

    Member

  • Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 04:03 AM

Hello, only few  my recomendations/opinions to your scenario:

I did not play it, only read it.

a) 2 mentioned German trucks should be included in list of German units, they are mentioned only in Special rules
and during setup you may forget them. The same case is with other 2 mentioned Italien trucks. (triviality)

b) You may not deploy trucks on a hex with building (blue hex as you writes), only squads may deploy on a building hex. (triviality)

c) You should solve problem of possible buying transporting trucks via reinforcements cards. If you permit it, they (americans) may get troops very quickly
to the german main building over the road. (this is usually forbidden).

e) what about artillery shot, that drifted to a hex with a truck transporting (camouflaged) americans? Because you do not need LOS to use artillery card
(only you roll against 6, though a final drift may be significant. If hit, a vehicle should be damaged/destroyed no matter a camouflage.

d) I do not understand, which meaning has a bariccade of obstacles (wires, mines...) on maps 8B, 5A, 4A? Americans deploy east from it, they have to
advance south, so they do not have to cross it at all. Neither Germans. Is it because of American reinforcements, in order fro them to have to cross the
bridge or the western river?

f) position (hexes) for american reinforcements is quite precarious, they are quite vulnerable on that plains. They may be eliminated before they get
behind a river, so then they are useless. This relates only to squads, not to tanks :-)

g) 3 decks for german player are too much. In 8-round scenario, with 3CPs per round (let us say), you can not manage to use even 2 decks.
In your scenario I would instead of Artillery and German reinforc. decks use Ground support deck. The second deck could be Morale, if ever.
If you use both reinforcements decks, then you may have numerous balance, but attackers may have problems with overcoming the same number of enemy units.

h) Morale deck is usually assigned to a nation that defends, and Command deck to the one that attacks, so in your case you should change them if you want to use them.

These are only my brief impressions, probably you had good reasons why you included this or that feature, but as you wrote, that you begin to play TOI, I
would start with playing already written scenarios, learning rules and knowing which deck is good for what situation, etcetera. I wrote my first scenario
after 2 months of playing  already written scenarios:-)



#6 EldarBanshee

EldarBanshee

    Member

  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 09:32 PM

Artemis said:

Hello, only few  my recomendations/opinions to your scenario:
I did not play it, only read it.

Thank you for your feedback. I'll answer each point in turn.

Artemis said:


a) 2 mentioned German trucks should be included in list of German units, they are mentioned only in Special rules
and during setup you may forget them. The same case is with other 2 mentioned Italien trucks. (triviality)

Good point. I shall add it.

Artemis said:


b) You may not deploy trucks on a hex with building (blue hex as you writes), only squads may deploy on a building hex. (triviality)

Another good point, they should be on an adjacent hex.

Artemis said:


c) You should solve problem of possible buying transporting trucks via reinforcements cards. If you permit it, they (americans) may get troops very quickly
to the german main building over the road. (this is usually forbidden).

I need to look into this. It should not be a problem in the beginning of the game since these trucks would need to come in on the western side of the board and the only bridge to the otyehr side is rather well defended at first, but I must admit that I did not think of this possibility, so I will need to think on the possibility.

Artemis said:


e) what about artillery shot, that drifted to a hex with a truck transporting (camouflaged) americans? Because you do not need LOS to use artillery card
(only you roll against 6, though a final drift may be significant. If hit, a vehicle should be damaged/destroyed no matter a camouflage.

I did not take drift into account. I should update the special rules that artil;lery may not be used until LOS has been gained to any American forces. Afte rthat, if drift takes a shot into the square of the trucks they should be hit as normal.

Artemis said:


d) I do not understand, which meaning has a bariccade of obstacles (wires, mines...) on maps 8B, 5A, 4A? Americans deploy east from it, they have to
advance south, so they do not have to cross it at all. Neither Germans. Is it because of American reinforcements, in order fro them to have to cross the
bridge or the western river?

First, they are just there for aesthetic reasons. The whole idea is that the Axis forces are guarding the western side and patying less attention to the northern border. Second, they should prevent any American reinforcements from entering the battle before the bridge is taken.

Artemis said:


f) position (hexes) for american reinforcements is quite precarious, they are quite vulnerable on that plains. They may be eliminated before they get
behind a river, so then they are useless. This relates only to squads, not to tanks :-)

This is by design. This is to encourage the American player to take the bridge as soon as possible to give their reinforcements better access to the battlefield.

Artemis said:


g) 3 decks for german player are too much. In 8-round scenario, with 3CPs per round (let us say), you can not manage to use even 2 decks.
In your scenario I would instead of Artillery and German reinforc. decks use Ground support deck. The second deck could be Morale, if ever.
If you use both reinforcements decks, then you may have numerous balance, but attackers may have problems with overcoming the same number of enemy units.

h) Morale deck is usually assigned to a nation that defends, and Command deck to the one that attacks, so in your case you should change them if you want to use them.

I'll definitely look into changing what decks are used for what army. As for having access to 3 decks, if the American player is on the ball the Axis player will loose access to 2 of them very early in the game (Turn 1 or 2), bringing them down to only 1 deck. But as with your other suggestions, I will take a serious look at them.

Artemis said:


These are only my brief impressions, probably you had good reasons why you included this or that feature, but as you wrote, that you begin to play TOI, I
would start with playing already written scenarios, learning rules and knowing which deck is good for what situation, etcetera. I wrote my first scenario
after 2 months of playing  already written scenarios:-)

I do these things mainly to get to know the game. I can't play it very often because those I can play it with are not around much. So in times I can't play I fiddle aound with the rules and scenarios. I never expected to come up with a good and balanced scenario for quite some time yet. Thank you for your feedback, though, it is helping me understand the game better.






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS