• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#1 dth

dth

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:13 AM

Hi folks

I've been doing a bit of investigation and Mayday Games make clear plastic card sleeves for "Mini Euro" cards.

These would appear to pretty much fit the FFG Talisman edition card size. I have enquired as to whether they will be making coloured backs in the same size. If not, I suggest we "bombard" them with requests for the same ;)

#2 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,292 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 01:17 AM

I'm undecided on this. On one hand, closing in on 40 games with Upgrade + Reaper, there are a couple of cards that are starting to show wear, namely on the shuffling edge. On the other hand, I feel the cards/decks would be more slippery, prone to the card tower collapsing, etc. It would also thicken the decks, making shuffling harder (I can fit the Upgrade + Reaper Adventure deck into my hand fully and shuffle it, adding sleeves would probably force shuffling fully in 2 separate halves).

My other FFG game with small cards is Arkham Horror, 72 games of that done, small cards not really shoving much more wear than Talisman cards (big cards got sleeved right away).

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#3 JCHendee

JCHendee

• Members
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 04:13 AM

Has anyone actually ordered from them?  I'm a bit leery after reading the site and find all sorts of mis-labels and misleading notes, particularly when looking over the supposed shipping... which isn't clear as to the cost of purchasing 1-5 packs of sleeves vs a carton.  I'm only guessing, but it seems like with the distributors list, they lean towards wholesale more than retail.

#4 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:33 AM

I have order 12 packs  from the  FFG sleeves some days ago.

But i think i need 2 more...

#5 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 08:38 AM

I got a pack of FFG mini-USA sleeves in New York, and have some Mayday versions coming soon.

I will be making some comparisons to help people decide. There are a few factors, price and thickness being two, but there could be more.

Harbourmaster at Talisman Island - 15 magical years and counting!

Sometimes I even update the Talisman Island Facebook Page!

#6 Nemomon

Nemomon

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 08:42 AM

I won't order them. Their price is too high IMO. For a 7zl I can have 50 units of them from FFG, and for a 4zl I can have 100 normal ones I used while playing MtG.

Enter the Talisman Island!

#7 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 08:58 AM

talismanisland said:

I got a pack of FFG mini-USA sleeves in New York, and have some Mayday versions coming soon.

I will be making some comparisons to help people decide. There are a few factors, price and thickness being two, but there could be more.

Hi Jon

But i saw already the sleeve comparison on your site..

It looks like that the mini american are the best sleeves for that...

#8 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:13 AM

No, Mayday are making a mini-USA sized sleeve too, but it is not out for a week or so.

Harbourmaster at Talisman Island - 15 magical years and counting!

Sometimes I even update the Talisman Island Facebook Page!

#9 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:25 AM

talismanisland said:

No, Mayday are making a mini-USA sized sleeve too, but it is not out for a week or so.

oke,

well.. i hope the mini american from FFG is good enough...

... ( because i have order it already..

#10 GregC

GregC

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 03:09 AM

I just finished putting FFG mini-USA sleeves on the main game and Reaper expansion cards, still have the Dungeon to do. I bought these because I needed to add 20 dollars more to get free shipping which was 10 dollars. The way I see it I only paid 10 bucks for them. They load very quickly, open with just one index finger and push the card in with the other index finger. They look great, fit perfect and seem very durable. They add a sponge like feel and have some up and down movement when pressing on a stack of cards. I would say that the max size of a stack would be about 40 cards. I'll probably have to come up with some type of tray to put the adventure cards in. They slide easily when shuffling, but with so many cards I'll need to split the cards up between two players and cross shuffle.

With the main game and the two expansions do you ever have to stop and shuffle the adventure cards mid game?

I'll be starting my first game later today or tomorrow, looking forward to the fun.

#11 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 03:32 AM

GregC said:

I just finished putting FFG mini-USA sleeves on the main game and Reaper expansion cards, still have the Dungeon to do. I bought these because I needed to add 20 dollars more to get free shipping which was 10 dollars. The way I see it I only paid 10 bucks for them. They load very quickly, open with just one index finger and push the card in with the other index finger. They look great, fit perfect and seem very durable. They add a sponge like feel and have some up and down movement when pressing on a stack of cards. I would say that the max size of a stack would be about 40 cards. I'll probably have to come up with some type of tray to put the adventure cards in. They slide easily when shuffling, but with so many cards I'll need to split the cards up between two players and cross shuffle.

With the main game and the two expansions do you ever have to stop and shuffle the adventure cards mid game?

I'll be starting my first game later today or tomorrow, looking forward to the fun.

Is it still possible to put the cards into the main box while there are into a sleeve..

I was just wondering about that..

I can't wait for mine..

#12 GregC

GregC

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 03:43 AM

I'll look at getting it back in the box later, but I will say the cards are a little wider. I know they do fit in the deeper slots, but with all the added air and space between cards it might be time for a different container. I probably take a trip to my local craft/hobby store later and see it anything stands out. Of course it is possible with a little creative cutting of inserts of one of the expansion boxes you could get away with a perfect solution.

#13 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 04:42 AM

GregC said:

I'll look at getting it back in the box later, but I will say the cards are a little wider. I know they do fit in the deeper slots, but with all the added air and space between cards it might be time for a different container. I probably take a trip to my local craft/hobby store later and see it anything stands out. Of course it is possible with a little creative cutting of inserts of one of the expansion boxes you could get away with a perfect solution.

oke, i hope it don't sounds like trouble..

i have already a difficult time with the storage of my cards ( luckily i have it in another base box, but i wonder if all the cards can fit  if they are into sleeves...

i also don't like it if the card will hit one of the edge of the inlay...

Maybe you can post a picture how it will look like if you put sleeve cards into the inlay of the base game..?

#14 Militarywizard

Militarywizard

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 02:28 PM

Picked up a complete box at Gencon and it was a great buy. Now they need a card holder to hold my tower of adventure cards.

#15 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 12:19 AM

Militarywizard said:

Picked up a complete box at Gencon and it was a great buy. Now they need a card holder to hold my tower of adventure cards.

Do the cards fit in the base game box if you put them into sleeves?

I am still waiting for mine..

#16 redsimon

redsimon

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 07:14 AM

I own War of the Ring, have used card sleeves to protect the cards and still have a lot of spare sleeves.

As I also ordered Talisman (unfortunately still waiting) I want to know how large the cards are compared to those of War of the RIng. Are they smaller, larger or of the same size?

#17 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,292 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 07:23 AM

redsimon said:

As I also ordered Talisman (unfortunately still waiting) I want to know how large the cards are compared to those of War of the RIng. Are they smaller, larger or of the same size?

A LOT smaller. You can put 2 Adventure cards side by side on top of a War of the Ring card*. Talisman cards are a bit longer than the WotR card is wide, but not by much.

*War of the Ring card in "tapped" sense, so turned 90 degrees to the side, Talisman card "untapped", so normally upright.

(if that makes any sense )

#18 redsimon

redsimon

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 07:31 AM

Hm, that means I have to buy smaller sleeves. And I need to find a store that sells them in Germany.

#19 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,292 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 07:32 AM

I haven't sleeved my Talisman cards, they show very little to no wear after 40+ games. If that is your worry/reason for sleeving them. I have pretty much all of my other games with "big" cards (War of the Ring or Arkham Horror size cards) sleeved. FFG now has their own sleeves, which come in the small-card size as well.

#20 redsimon

redsimon

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 07:40 AM

Are FFGs "Mini American Board Game Sleeves" the right size, or which one?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS