Barsoom

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Feldrik

Feldrik

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 04:00 AM

Pixar is working on a movie based on Edgar Rice Buroughs Mars novels. I have the old SPI board game John Carter of Mars and it would be interesting to see this produced by FFG. If they included a plausible solo play option I think it would go over pretty well.

A strategic level board game would be interesting as well, many possibilities for nations at war and role play to boot!

Of course if Pixar botches up the movie then all bets are off!

#2 David Spangler

David Spangler

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:02 PM

I would definitely second this one.  The old SPI game was wonderful to play but had its faults. It was never fully completed, so the character game and the strategic game don't mesh as well as they could.  This one would lend itself to some terrific models/minis.  The movie is going to be live action but created and directed by the Pixar crew; the roles of Carter and the incomparable Dejah Thoris have already been cast (see IMDB for details:  look up John Carter of Mars).  An FFG version of this exciting property would be fantastic; indeed, it would be incomparable!

#3 Feldrik

Feldrik

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:56 AM

I anticipate the film with hope and dread.

I hope they put effort into making it an epic story that stays true to the original intent of the author.

I dread that it will go the way of so many others and be religated to kiddieville or be used by some hack to push their own aggenda.

It may be worth John Carter's effort to pop back to Earth for a bit and see that ERB is treated properly this time.

#4 David Spangler

David Spangler

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 02:28 AM

The fact that the movie is being directed and produced by people from Pixar makes me very hopeful.  Theyhave yet to make a bad movie.

#5 Feldrik

Feldrik

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 07:36 AM

Pixar gives me hope. I can handle alterations for the sake of making it work as a movie but too often movies just write a new story and just use the title. Given that this was the 'gateway' book for so many authors, readers and even scientists I hope they understand how important it is to do it well. I think its target audience should be the 30-40 range that love adventure and SF.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS