Sc 5 Trauma - So not posted in a while!

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 tamsyn

tamsyn

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 12:20 AM

We attempted scenario 5 last week and I think we were so traumatised I haven't posted in a while.

It was bad. The extra toughness of monsters, no way of getting extra clues. GOO waking up a lot faster du to the 12 doom token cap. No unique items for the final fight. I got to say with 2 players this is the worst one yet (apart from the infamous Black Cave scenario in league 1).

We eventually got a winning score, but it was bum. I don't even think we can drum up the enthusiasm to try it again. Aarrrggghhhh.

#2 MrsGamura

MrsGamura

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 04:43 AM

You got more guts than me... been to scared to even try it

#3 Aeaea

Aeaea

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 05:09 AM

I agree, it's brutal. We've tried 4 times and can't get through it. We've been unucky each game with low activity gates going off seeming like every other mythos, double doom token rumors, and the terror track going out of control because we can't kill the tough monsters...

So far each game we've had Pete recycling Old Journals -- seems like the only way to get clues.

#4 tamsyn

tamsyn

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 05:29 AM

sadly in a 2 player game we feel we can't use pete

#5 Real Paris

Real Paris

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:19 AM

We did it!  ;-) After 7 times...but...We did it!

#6 Aeaea

Aeaea

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 12:20 PM

Arghhh.....

We finally had it in the bag (or so we thought).... 5 gates sealed, Marie was sitting pretty on the second spot in the Abyss with 7 clue tokens ready to exit next turn. The monsters were under control at last and the rest of the folks were busy collecting clue tokens for the next scenario when... Nooooooo! the second double doom Mythos pops up... Shub climbs out and promptly devours us all. 

We would've scored around 19 I think -- not great, but at least a win. The Terror track was at 9 because of the rumor (forget its name) that raises the terror level during every Mythos on a roll of 1 or 2 plus we really had a problem getting magical weapons capable of killing all the physically resistant monsters that kept roaming around the town. The Dark Druid came out twice too just to keep things stirred up.

It sure would be nice to play one game without a double doom token Mythos showing up paired with a crippling rumor to distract us. But fun? You bet!

#7 sulphurea

sulphurea

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 12:23 PM

Must have had some kind of selective blindness when I first checked out this scenario as I missed the fact that the Curiositie Shoppe and Ye Olde Magick Shoppe were still closed. Just realised my mistake and don't know if I'm going to be able to find the time or summon the mental strength to play this one with the locations closed before the next scenario comes out. You lot make it sound grim and I just can't face Arkham with the Curiositie Shop shut after happily shopping there over the past 2 weeks. Maybe I'll come back to it some time.

Anyway, if anyone has the time then try this scenario with the locations open. In our blissful ignorance we had a great time over the past couple of weekends with free access to elder signs, swords of glory etc., some of the most epic games we've ever played.

#8 Real Paris

Real Paris

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 06:52 PM

We used :
- Wilson Richards (Double Vision & Schizophrenia  )
- Bob Jenkins (Back Injury  )
- Dexter Drakes (with Calvin Wright)
- Jenny Barnes (Sprained Ankle & Amnesia  )

Rumors Card: "Good Work Undone" fail - "One Thousand Young" in play when the story end - No seal location e no investigator lost... -  

Final score : 

Total: 12 - 1 (terror) - 0 (elder signs) - 0 (retired) - 0 (bank Loans) + 4 (lived investigators) + 3 (monster) + 9 (gate) + 0 (Tasks/Missions) = 27  

#9 dbarree

dbarree

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 11:45 AM

Real Paris said:

We used :
- Wilson Richards (Double Vision & Schizophrenia  )
- Bob Jenkins (Back Injury  )
- Jenny Barnes (Sprained Ankle & Amnesia  )

Rumors Card: "Good Work Undone" fail - "One Thousand Young" in play when the story end - No seal location e no investigator lost... -  

Final score : 

Total: 12 - 1 (terror) - 0 (elder signs) - 0 (retired) - 0 (bank Loans) + 4 (lived investigators) + 3 (monster) + 9 (gate) + 0 (Tasks/Missions) = 27  

We finally beat this with almost the same group of investigators:

We used

- Wilson Richards

- Bob Jenkins

- Jenny Barnes

- Rita Young

Rumor Card: Terrible Experiment (failed)

Final Score:

Total: 12 - 10 (terror) -1 (elder sign) - 0 (retired) - 0 (bank loans) +4 (Live investigators) + 4 (monsters) + 8 (gates) + 0 (tasks/missions) = 17

Not a very good score but after failing multiple times we decided we could live with it.

#10 Real Paris

Real Paris

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 05:32 PM

I've recived this message after send the e-mail with the results of 5th scenario... :

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

THIS IS A WARNING MESSAGE ONLY.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESEND YOUR MESSAGE.

Delivery to the following recipients has been delayed.

jgodwin@fantasyflightgames.com

did not reach the following recipient(s):

jgodwin@fantasyflightgames.com on Sun, 19 Apr 2009 22:40:00 +0200
Could not deliver the message in the time limit specified. Please
retry or contact your administrator.
<smtp-OUT05A.alice.it #4.4.7>

I've try to send another mail...but...I think is better to post here our results ok?

5° Scenario (win after 7 attempts) :-)

Team Name: Martesana Arkham Team

Investigators:
- Wilson Richards
- Bob Jenkins
- Jenny Barnes

Ancient One: Ithaqua + Shub Niggurath

No Investigator devoured = 4 points
Unspent Clue Tokens: 0
Doom Track #: 11of12 (5 Ithaqua - 6 Shub-Niggurath)
Terror Track Level: 1
Elder Signs Used: 0
Open Bank Loans: 0
Unspend Monster: 10 (2 Whilson, 2 Dexter, 3 Jenny and 3 Bob) = 10/3 = 3 points
Unspend Gate: 9 (3 Whilson, 3 Bob, 2 Dexter and 1 Jenny) = 9 points
Missions/Tasks Complete: 0

Rumors Card: "Good Work Undone" fail - "One Thousand Young" in play
Lost Time and Space: 0
Unconsciuns: Whilson (Double Vision) - Bob (Back Injury) - Jenny (Sprained Ankle)
Insane: Whilson (Schizophrenia) - Jenny (Amnesia)
Seal Location: 0
Gate on Seal Location: 0
Monsters Surge: 2
Gate burst: 0

Sorry...

#11 tamsyn

tamsyn

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 12:52 AM

Haven't sent mine in yet as I am hoping that a better score will materialise. Of course we're not actually playing in due to the trauma, so fingers crossed for a miracle...

#12 Aeaea

Aeaea

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:44 AM

Wow, congrats Real Paris!  Looks like this was a real nail-biter at the end with no sealed gates left (I assume due to the failed rumor).

#13 Real Paris

Real Paris

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:20 AM

Thank you for your compliments ... this scene was really exhausting ...now ... we hope that the sixth comes out Friday that does not follow the same vein ... at least that will change the old ...Schub-Niggurath and the Ithaqua I love ... but that's enough ...

#14 MrsGamura

MrsGamura

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 02:27 PM

So let me make sure I got this right...

1. 10 doom track AO
  2. -6 combat rating
  3. physical immunity
  4. no clues
  5. magic weapon shops closed

Tried it today they woke up to many gates...didn't even try to fight them... every OW encounter made me LiTaS! lol Let me see 5 turns... 6 investigator team.

#15 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,582 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 08:20 AM

I hate this scenario. You start with no clues, and you can't even shop for unique items. Final battle is impossible.

I just played it twice back to back. I deliberately chose my investigators last time to maximize my chances of getting an Elder Sign. I got one.

Wilson Richards entered the first gate and sealed it soon after. No other gates had opened up. We were back at 0 gates with one seal and one gate trophy, putting us closer to winning by closing all gates.

Then the "fail every check" curse on my team kicked in. Guess if we won?

This scenario isn't any fun. I don't feel like it's merely difficult, with close-call losses; I feel like it's a close call whether or not your plans might be working a bit in your favor. I'm not even looking at Scenario 6 until I beat this one, but I'm losing motivation even to try to do so.

Congrats to all you who completed it! (7 tries? Might take me another two weeks.)

#16 MrsGamura

MrsGamura

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 10:09 AM

lol beat it 2nd (with my friend, 1st played by myself to figure out how to beat it, because knew he would give up after a few tries lol) try... 6 investigators... did the ol' Pete Old Journal combo... sealed 5 gates but won by closing all gates... 30 point score! 

never even used witch blood :P

btw Dexter Drake is helpful to dig for Find Gate... the common tome that gives spells is where you'll find it.

#17 JerusalemJones

JerusalemJones

• Members
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 05:39 AM

We've tried this one 3 times with out 8 investigator team. Lost every time. We don't even try to fight the AOs unless we ave enough Magic Weapons (which means never). The last time we got  together we played 2 games back to back. The first game we had investigators delayed in the OW, LiT&S and failing a close gate check. It lasted four turns/5th Mythos card. Took less than 30 minutes. The replay was almost going better --we had sealed two gates, had 7 trophies between us, but the Terror Level hit 10, we got a Rumor that auto-failed (involved the loss of an Ally each turn), and monsters had overrun the town. I took the initiative to tackle the 5 toughness Dark Druid, but we were getting beat down left and right, again failed a close gate check, and suddenly BAM 5 open gates and battle with the Dark Duo (we fed ourselves to the things). Ugly. The only bright spot was when Marie Lambeau sacrificed herself to a card to remove a doom token from a track and we brought in Bob Jenkins -- sadly much to late in the game for it to truly matter, though.

#18 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,582 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:40 AM

Somehow, all the magic weapons were with one guy, who had a blessing. He lost all of them when Ithaqua awoke.

I've played it 6 times now. The Great Ritual keeps screwing with me. I passed it just by the skin of my teeth, getting enough clues to lay down a ton of seals.

But we didn't. The 12th doom token was placed with seal 5 and 6 on the way, close to a victory by closed gates. Too many turns where the monsters were equal and the doom tokens were doubled.

I hate that my principal strategy is "be lucky." I'm still doing the thing where I maximize my Elder Sign chances with the starting players. No luck last two times.

Ugh.

#19 Coyote''s Own

Coyote''s Own

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 06:44 AM

Won on out thrid attempt yesterday,  through we almost didn't realize, because we didn;t count on winning with fighting a GOO.

We sealed Unamble and the Witchhouse (one with tokens the other with an Elder Sign), and 9 Doom Tokens, we had one only one gate open thanks to the fact that gates tried to open in those two location for three-four turns. So we manmaged to close al the gate and win without fighting.   

#20 crimson

crimson

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 10:41 AM

Fourth attempt today, but still at zero points. We'd have got over 30 with just a little more luck in the final round: Three gates sealed, two gates open with two investigators each attempting to close at the same time. That's when our luck ran out...

We'll probably skip Sc5 for now and go on with Sc6 and try it again in a few weeks time.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS