• Please log in to reply
343 replies to this topic

#41 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:06 AM

There is one unspoken rule in LotR LCG - heroes don't lose/gain stats when they swap spheres. 

I don't understand your unhealthy urge to lower her willpower. Eowyn's willpower is her mark in this game. 

As for starting willpower, Spirit Eowyn has 4(+1 per player potential) wp, Elrond, Sam and Thorin got 3 wp and guess what? It's their base wp, without any boosts. And guess what else? Their abilities are not wasted on just giving willpower to the party. 

The very purpose of Theoden is to make tactics into questiong, and I see no problem in doing so as most quests strike you with heavy threat and this early willpower surge is a compensation for total lack of willpower in allies later in the game - it simply won't grow past that.

That's cursed table-talk, and I'll stick you, if you don't shut it down, see?'

#42 alogos

alogos

• Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:42 AM

Still I'm highly doubtful that a 4 willpower tactics Hero will be released as I think it would mess up the sphere's focus somewhat... 

For me, releasing a super low threat hero in a sphere that as the hightest threat mean and without any threat reduction should kill the purpose more than a 3-willpower hero that boost willpower of other...

Wait...

Screw that !

(Theoden and Merry for those who didn't catch up...)

• joezim007 likes this

#43 Mndela

Mndela

• Members
  • 928 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:48 AM

Here's a card I came up with a while ago:

Shadowfax.jpg?dl=1&token_hash=AAEGRKl3KF

Really amazing, i like it! Good idea: Shadowfax. And the art also: very good.

Edited by Mndela, 24 February 2014 - 04:51 AM.

A wizard is never late..., he arrives precisely when it is the last round

#44 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 774 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:07 AM

Really amazing, i like it! Good idea: Shadowfax. And the art also: very good.

I got the art from DeviantArt. The DA username is in the attribution at the bottom of the card. :)

Though, I guess that now that I shrunk it, it's not readable :P Here's a link: http://www.deviantar...dream-411110188

Edited by joezim007, 24 February 2014 - 11:09 AM.

I once shot an arrow through the pupil of a pig's eye from 300 yards away! Sadly, I was aiming for a different pig.

#45 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 774 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:19 AM

There is one unspoken rule in LotR LCG - heroes don't lose/gain stats when they swap spheres. 
I don't understand your unhealthy urge to lower her willpower. Eowyn's willpower is her mark in this game. 

As for starting willpower, Spirit Eowyn has 4(+1 per player potential) wp, Elrond, Sam and Thorin got 3 wp and guess what? It's their base wp, without any boosts. And guess what else? Their abilities are not wasted on just giving willpower to the party. 

The very purpose of Theoden is to make tactics into questiong, and I see no problem in doing so as most quests strike you with heavy threat and this early willpower surge is a compensation for total lack of willpower in allies later in the game - it simply won't grow past that.

I guess you're right. I have no problem with Tactics having decent-questing heroes... I just feel like they shouldn't have the strongest set of questing heroes in the game. At least with Tactics, you need pretty high threat to have that much questing power (Eowyn for 9, Theoden for 12, plus another), though if you throw in Glorfindel, Merry, or Sam, you can still start below 30.

I once shot an arrow through the pupil of a pig's eye from 300 yards away! Sadly, I was aiming for a different pig.

#46 chuckles

chuckles

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:39 PM

Still I'm highly doubtful that a 4 willpower tactics Hero will be released as I think it would mess up the sphere's focus somewhat... 

For me, releasing a super low threat hero in a sphere that as the hightest threat mean and without any threat reduction should kill the purpose more than a 3-willpower hero that boost willpower of other...

Wait...

Screw that !

(Theoden and Merry for those who didn't catch up...)

Laugh - very good... well and i'm less sure but still doubtful that they would include ANOTHER one with 4 will power... unless the plan is to make red the new blue... maybe next up is a Spirit Boromir that readies and gets +1 attack every time you lower your threat ;)

"Do not believe him! He has lost all power, save his voice that can still daunt you and deceive you, if you let it."

#47 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:57 PM

Your speculation made me think and here what I came up with:

7-cYqXAoRrU.jpg

• chuckles likes this

#48 Mndela

Mndela

• Members
  • 928 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 06:01 PM

Ooooh, loving art.

Very good idea: willpower around damage points.... Yeah! Since 0 to 10 --> 10 (well, 9 because the picture is a copy of the card Need Path :P )

PD: tomorrow i post my Smeagol version

Edited by Mndela, 24 February 2014 - 06:02 PM.

#49 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 06:04 PM

Well, the author claims it's Boromir on the picture and I tend to believe him as on a full picture there are several arrows sticking from his chest. Was the best Boromir art I could find on the net.

#50 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 774 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 06:11 PM

Your speculation made me think and here what I came up with:

7-cYqXAoRrU.jpg

Interesting idea. I find it an intriguing strategy. Oddly enough, some When Revealed effects can actually give you a boost to your questing. You also need to be careful, though, because if you try to maximize his Willpower, then you are more susceptible to those same effects.

#51 chuckles

chuckles

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:56 PM

Well Boromir was definitely in need of a new path... one with with far fewer Uruk-Hai ...and much more healing ;) 

• ZanzibarLand likes this

"Do not believe him! He has lost all power, save his voice that can still daunt you and deceive you, if you let it."

#52 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:29 PM

I would never play that Boromir... Unless I could load him up with Plate! :D

Had a thought though... A card that would allow you to, once per game, switch the sphere of a hero to another available sphere. (The hero card must exist in the new sphere.)
Nearly all of my comments are from the perspective of the single handed solo player.

#53 legolas18

legolas18

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:45 PM

Well, that might be hard to do, as it would have to reference the card pool as a whole. Which most cards can't do, if any...
I still can't get pictures in my post. It's not that I don't have art for them, it's that the card image needs a URL... How could I do that?

Playing an intense scenario, on the last stage, right when you notice you've been playing with two Bofurs the whole time.

#54 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:27 AM

Well Boromir was definitely in need of a new path... one with with far fewer Uruk-Hai ...and much more healing ;) 

RAMPAGE AND HEAL

HEAL AND RAMPAGE

#55 Mndela

Mndela

• Members
  • 928 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:57 AM

I still can't get pictures in my post. It's not that I don't have art for them, it's that the card image needs a URL... How could I do that?

I have added in the originial first post a few instructions to do it.

Edited by Mndela, 25 February 2014 - 02:58 AM.

#56 Mndela

Mndela

• Members
  • 928 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:23 AM

Finally, my Smeagol version:

ryak.jpg

He is leadership because he is the guide to Mordor.

He has a high threat cost (more than his values) because he is bad (he is Gollum), but when you are playing with Sam and Frodo he becomes good (Smeagol) and his threat is 0. Frodo + Sam + Smeagol (like the history) = 7+8+0 = 15. The best secrecy deck with 3 heroes!!! In fact, they are the best secrecy team: the travel to mordor far of the Sauron Sight. A think it is a very good idea. (If Sam or Frodo leaves game, Smeagol returns to his original threat -he becomes Gollum, bad guy, like some moments in the film-)

I keep the response of Trololo, only limit the location: it must be the active one. (If not, i think it is very powered). But it was a very good idea.

Edited by Mndela, 25 February 2014 - 10:58 AM.

#57 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 774 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:07 AM

There should be something to clarify that you gain 10 threat after one of them leaves play. And lose 10 threat when you are back to having both heroes again. This would be an interesting bounce back and forth in the LotR saga boxes when Frodo is always with the first player.

I really like the theme of having all three be in secrecy. I would make Gollum/Smeagol lore though cuz a guide is different from a leader. A guide shows you things that they know and that you don't versus a leader who takes command. I'd hate to have to make it a tri-sphere deck though.

#58 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:13 AM

I have a few lore events and neutral allies coming up, when I get back home from work.

#59 Mndela

Mndela

• Members
  • 928 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:39 AM

There should be something to clarify that you gain 10 threat after one of them leaves play. And lose 10 threat when you are back to having both heroes again. This would be an interesting bounce back and forth in the LotR saga boxes when Frodo is always with the first player.

I really like the theme of having all three be in secrecy. I would make Gollum/Smeagol lore though cuz a guide is different from a leader. A guide shows you things that they know and that you don't versus a leader who takes command. I'd hate to have to make it a tri-sphere deck though.

Sure? It is a consequence, it doesnt need clarify.

About the leadership sphere, it is ok: i'd change now by spirit (lore not, lol, i hate also tri-sphere)

#60 Raven1015

Raven1015

• Members
  • 509 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:40 AM

The Eowyn issue is interesting. I've been waiting eagerly for the Witch-king slaying, Tactics version of Eowyn to arrive, but the issue about bringing in a high willpower hero to the sphere is well-taken, and I do think there is a substantial sphere balance issue there. Either the designers would have to break their pattern of not changing stats when heroes change spheres or they would have to include some limitation or drawback that balances out Eowyn's willpower.

Thematically, Eowyn only was able to ride to battle by hiding her identity and not "questing" openly. So maybe some type of drawback ability (like Spirit Glorfindel's) to represent her need to hide her identity would be fitting and would help balance adding a high willpower hero to Tactics.

Edited by Raven1015, 25 February 2014 - 10:41 AM.

Check out my LOTR LCG blog: talesfromthecards.wordpress.com

Listen to The Grey Company podcast: greycompanypodcast.wordpress.com

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS