Creative artwork cards

• Please log in to reply
206 replies to this topic

#1 Mndela

Mndela

• Members
  • 708 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:04 AM

This post is an idea tha sure all the fans of LOTR-LCG had got in mind in any moment. A window where you can post (display, show...) your own ideas about any card you have thought up.

It could have got a very good ideas, of course. Came on! (and Caleb, Matthew and company maybe, seeing these ideas, could be prompted :rolleyes: ).

You can post only with the words, or even with an entire 'fanmade' card (click here to get the temps of Gecko).

I start with my first ideas, lets go!

rsiz.jpg  

e3pg.jpg

How about, do you like the ideas?

PD: Radagast would become a very good ally now :lol:

********* HOW TO POST IMAGE CARD FILES **********

1. Downloading the templates (click here to get the temps of Gecko).

2. Working the templates with Photoshop

- insert the image -there are webs with lots of image arts like deviantart, tumbler, .... searching in google-;

- add the text you have thought...

- and -important i think- reduce the size of the template to 500px minimum

3. Upload the image to a server (for example, imageshak)

4. Include the image in your post, by the key 'Image' (insert in the url text the image link that you got in the server in point 3).

drfi.jpg

Edited by Mndela, 25 February 2014 - 02:57 AM.

• danpoage and Dwarf king Bronze beard like this

A wizard is never late..., he arrives precisely when it is the last round

#2 danpoage

danpoage

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:56 AM

I like the pipe. I wonder if repeatable threat reduction shouldn't have more of a limitation. Only usable if the character is ready or something? The wand seems a bit too powerful for 0 cost, but I like the idea for that as well.

Hall of Beorn

The Grey Company

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."
—Oscar Wilde

#3 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:06 AM

I like the pipe. I wonder if repeatable threat reduction shouldn't have more of a limitation. Only usable if the character is ready or something? The wand seems a bit too powerful for 0 cost, but I like the idea for that as well.

Well, if it will be only usable when character is ready, then everyone will use it at the end of the refresh phase and call it a day.

The ability to lower your threat by 1 each turn at no cost should never exist as it will just negate natural threat growth. There should be a catch. Btw it's not unique, if you can muster both hobbit Gandalf and Radagast, then it will be a dope.

#4 Mndela

Mndela

• Members
  • 708 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:35 PM

Well, if it will be only usable when character is ready, then everyone will use it at the end of the refresh phase and call it a day.

The ability to lower your threat by 1 each turn at no cost should never exist as it will just negate natural threat growth. There should be a catch. Btw it's not unique, if you can muster both hobbit Gandalf and Radagast, then it will be a dope.

The Gandalf hobbit would be free of raise each round... but you need 14 resources and the 4 cards to do it in play (5 gandalf hobbit + 5 radagast + 2+2 pipes)

#5 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:23 PM

Which is pretty easy to come by, especially in multiplayer and/or with new doomed cards.

#6 Mndela

Mndela

• Members
  • 708 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:31 PM

Another one more, about istari attachments.

s5wj.jpg

The imagination to power!!!

PD: this card, but, has a thing...: the Moth only is in the film of Peter Jackson. I think it is not in the Tolkien world.

Edited by Mndela, 22 February 2014 - 02:32 PM.

#7 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:58 PM

I like what you're doing here... make sure to add the "Creature" trait to the Moth!  I agree with Trololo, repeatable -1 threat simply for exhausting an attachment is too powerful since we have at least one Istari that stays in play once paid for.  It needs a higher cost or needs to discard itself... You could increase the threat reduction if you increase the cost, also (not just the resource cost).  Maybe do like Beorn suggested and have it only usable when the character is ready, then make it a Planning action to avoid the simple fix of using it during the Refresh phase.  After all, who smokes a pipe during combat?

#8 Distractionbeast

Distractionbeast

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 03:45 PM

This post is an idea tha sure all the fans of LOTR-LCG had got in mind in any moment. A window where you can post (display, show...) your own ideas about any card you have thought up.

It could have got a very good ideas, of course. Came on! (and Caleb, Matthew and company maybe, seeing these ideas, could be prompted :rolleyes: ).

You can post only with the words, or even with an entire 'fanmade' card (click here to get the temps of Gecko).

I start with my first ideas, lets go!

rsiz.jpg  

e3pg.jpg

How about, do you like the ideas?

PD: Radagast would become a very good ally now :lol:

Nice ideas for a start!  Here's how I'd work the pipe:

2 cost Unique

attach to an Istari character.

exhaust pipe and attached character to reduce your threat by 1.

make the wand unique, and I think it could maybe stand as it is.

• chuckles likes this

#9 Distractionbeast

Distractionbeast

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:38 PM

Another one more, about istari attachments.

s5wj.jpg

The imagination to power!!!

PD: this card, but, has a thing...: the Moth only is in the film of Peter Jackson. I think it is not in the Tolkien world.

I'm not biting on this one.  Sorry, man.  Good intentions, but in real Tolkien-verse, nobody summons the eagles. (Only Peter Jackson would be so bold...)  

No offense.   ;)

#10 Mndela

Mndela

• Members
  • 708 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:43 PM

Oh no, i'm happy people comments all these ideas...

Has anyone got any other ideas? Lets go! Post, post , post.... And no only players cards, also encounter cards!...

PD: i was thinking the Moth card was incorrect in the thematic way. And finally it was so. But doesn't matter, the important are the ideas, values, costs, traits, text, etc.

Edited by Mndela, 22 February 2014 - 05:45 PM.

#11 Mndela

Mndela

• Members
  • 708 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:50 PM

... repeatable -1 threat simply for exhausting an attachment is too powerful since we have at least one Istari that stays in play once paid for. 

I thougt and compared with Galadrim's Greeting (pay 3 for reduce 6 threat)... However, Wizard Pipe only cost one less resource, but it needs 6 rounds to be cheaper than Greetings (almost all good games are closed in the 5th round), and need also the comb with an expensive istari (5 cost). These are the reasons because i didn't see Wizard Pipe too much powerful.

Edited by Mndela, 22 February 2014 - 05:52 PM.

#12 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 06:38 PM

I accepted the challenge and made it even more challenging for me - I started browsing deviant art for LotR artwork, making an oath to make a card out of first good artwork I will encounter. Unfortunately and strangely, most of artwork was fild-related and sucked major balls. But, I stumbled upon picture of Gollum, which reminded me of my Grima-like hope of Smeagol becoming a hero once, so I started browsing the site for the Smeagol art now and here's what happened:

vqhxRmkwyxA.jpg

P.S.: How can I reduce the image size on these forums? 

Edited by MyNeighbourTrololo, 22 February 2014 - 06:41 PM.

#13 Mndela

Mndela

• Members
  • 708 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:47 AM

Yeah! Very good idea!!! Smeagol... Really, brilliant idea.

Maybe too powerful. He is more powerful even than Imrahil, because Smeagol, in adittion, draws a card. And Imrahil, (in adition!), triggers his hability as a result of one penalty (a character leaves game), so..., i'd add a type of penalty (like: 1 damage to any character..., etc), and reduce his values without reducing his threat level cost (good idea if the character is Gollum). How about?

PS: to reduce the image files --> before you save the image and upload it, in photoshop you can reduce the size: for example, if it is 1000pixels high long, reduce to 500px. After, you upload it, and etc.    :) Note: if the images you find in deviantart are lower than the template, no problem, you increase their size, and at the end of the work, you finally reduce the template size (and: here nothing happens! :)).

Edited by Mndela, 23 February 2014 - 03:49 AM.

#14 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:07 AM

A few notes: Mark the wording. It's "to", meaning that he needs to be exhausted to trigger his ability. His willpower is not spectacular, and if you happen to commit him to quest and fail to deliver enough progress tokens to the active location - you'll find yourself in a bad situation. The main limiting factor here is locations and your ability to explore them. Thus, leading us to a rich combo potential. Example:

Player quests successfully, with Smeagol being committed to the quest, and gets enough progress to explore active location, readying Smeagol and drawing a card as the result. Then, during the combat phase Smeagol exhausts to attack and Spirfindel exhausts his Asfaloth to epxlore another location currently in staging area(or a new active, doesn't matters), readying Smeagol for another attack and giving himself a card. 

As for Imrahil - a character leaving game is not always a penalty. Sneak attacked Gandalf, triggered from hand Bofur, Silvan Refugee who quested with Children of the Sea and etc.

#15 Mndela

Mndela

• Members
  • 708 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:25 AM

Very good idea, of course. I'd lower the attack down to 1. But ...nice, nice! And the quote also.

Edited by Mndela, 23 February 2014 - 05:27 AM.

#16 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:49 AM

Lemme explain why I put his attack to 3.

I'm not a hardcore fan(if fan at all) of LotR universe, and all my knowledge about it comes from movies, games(including this one), research I did because of those games (like what the hell is Ungoliant) and tales of my friend who read a lot of Tolkiens work. 

In the movies, Smeagol killed his friend to get the ring, almost killed Bilbo and Sam, killed a lot of fish and squirrels(lawlz) - he was out there surviving on his own, it's hardened him enough. If you're underwhelmed by his high attack value - I see it coming from unexpected and sudden assaults rather from brute force. That's the thematic reasoning.

The gameplay reasoning is Spirit sphere lacks decent fighters. We have a whole bunch of whopping 1 attackers, and a few higher than 1 ones. That's why his willpower is only 2, to make him viable to quest with a bit of risk-reward gameplay perspective and possibility to be useful outside of Quest phase thanks to his attack power.

Edited by MyNeighbourTrololo, 23 February 2014 - 05:50 AM.

#17 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:58 AM

N63pTG18SwM.jpg

Here is one more version of him, a bit tweaked. 

Toughness X - character with toughness takes X less damage from any source other than undefended attack.

#18 booored

booored

• Members
  • 1,879 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:29 AM

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Here are some new eagles for tactics.

Edited by booored, 23 February 2014 - 09:57 AM.

• chuckles likes this
"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#19 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:51 AM

eupzcGqZnTg.jpg

Edited by MyNeighbourTrololo, 23 February 2014 - 05:03 PM.

#20 booored

booored

• Members
  • 1,879 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:42 AM

s5wj.jpg

I like the idea of this one but not so much the execution. I think the "Moth" idea would make a better event. Maybe as simply as

EVENT - 1 Cost

Action : Put into play a Eagle form your hand.

If you wanted to make it OP then have it...

EVENT - 1 Cost

Action : Put into play from your hand any amount of Eagles that share the same name.

This sorta works as we have Engels are Coming to draw them, and this to play them. I really hate the Istari restriction as well. It is still my solem hope they will not be stupid enough to make a Istari hero.

w/e The moth is a good idea for a card.

Edited by booored, 23 February 2014 - 07:43 AM.

"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS