Photo

Web Between Worlds (RUMOR) vs. A Proposition (Mythos)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 goldeneyez

goldeneyez

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:25 PM

Hello,

My wife and I have a disagreement about how a Mythos card, A Proposition, would effect an Epic Monster that was spawned from a Rumor Mythos card.  A Proposition, has an event that states "The Lead Investigator may gain a Dark Pact Condition to immediately solve 1 RUMOR Mythos in play."  When she got this the RUMOR card, Web Between Worlds, which spawns the Spinner of Webs Epic Monster on Space 9.  That card also goes on to state that when it is defeated, solve this RUMOR.

Our dispute comes from how the Event from A Proposition plays out.  My opinion is that if the Lead Investigator chooses to gain the Dark Pact and solve the RUMOR, the Spinner of Webs Epic Monster will stay out because it was never defeated, and the Event just says solve the RUMOR.  It seems to me that defeating the Spinner of Webs is a way to solve the RUMOR, but using the Event from "A Proposition" is another way to solve the RUMOR, but it doesn't have any effect on the Spinner of Webs.

My wife thinks that when you solve the RUMOR, the Spinner of Webs is discarded as well because it is part of the RUMOR.  She points to the updated Eldritch Horror FAQ under Clarifications where it states:

When resolving a Mythos card, all elements of the card must be resolved if possible.  If a Mythos card's effect is to resolve an additional Mythos card, all elements of that additional card must also be resolved.

I think thematically, what my wife is saying makes sense, but just going by what's on the cards, I disagree with her.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this particular issue?

Thanks.

#2 Wolfgar

Wolfgar

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:33 PM

I think you would not discard the Spinner of Webs. Proposition would only stop the Rumor effects

If the Spinner is defeated, the rumor is resolved. The rumor resolving doesn't mean the monster is defeated or discarded unless I missed something somewhere.

If A, then B. B does not necessarily imply A.

Still it's worthwhile, as Web Between Worlds can cause you to lose the game entirely. Once that is resolved, you just have a giant spider harmlessly chilling in Greenland as far as I can tell.

• Glaurung likes this

#3 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,494 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:39 AM

Don't have the cards in front of me right now, but I'd say Wolfgar is right saying there is no double implication (if A implies B, then B must imply A). You solve the rumor, hence all the bad stuff happening for not passing it are no real threat, but the monster will stay there.

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#4 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:34 AM

Agree with Julia and Wolfgar

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#5 goldeneyez

goldeneyez

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:34 AM

Thanks for the responses.  This is kind of what I was thinking, but now to try to convince my wife :\

#6 Mephisto666

Mephisto666

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:44 PM

My opinion is if you agree with your wife she MIGHT let you play again!  (grin)  (even though you are probably correct)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS