Photo

Is there such a thing as too many ships?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Parravon

Parravon

• Members
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:03 PM

I was reading through some of the other threads and I've noticed some folks like to list their ships in their signature (me also). Then I noticed someone with 21 TIE fighters (can't remember who, sorry).

So I was wondering, when would you use that many ships in a game? Obviously for bigger games, but how often?

Who has got lots (and I mean LOTS) of ships and uses large numbers regularly, and how do those games turn out? Just interested to find out.

Rick

Hastings, New Zealand

3 X-Wing, 2 A-Wing, 1 Y-Wing, 1 B-Wing, 1 E-Wing, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300

3 TIE Fighters, 3 TIE Int, 1 TIE Adv, 1 TIE Bomber, 1 TIE Phantom, 1 TIE Defender, 1 Firespray-31

#2 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,376 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:03 PM

Not really a rules question... You're unlikely to need that many to play competitively, but if it makes someone happy to have 21 TIE fighters I won't stop them :-). Also, some people like doing custom modifications and paint jobs for their ships.
  • oneway and DraconPyrothayan like this

#3 DraconPyrothayan

DraconPyrothayan

• Members
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:15 PM

Its also enough Tie Fighters to let them and two friends each play a 7-Tie Swarm :D

• Parravon likes this

#4 Cptnhalfbeard

Cptnhalfbeard

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:03 AM

Well it all depends on how you play, if you and your friends frequently play 250-300pt games then 21 ties wouldn't be unreasonable, although the thought of dealing with that many ships is horrifying lol. If you only ever play 100 pt games you won't need more than 8. But if you let your friends use your ships and you want to do tie swarm vs tie swarm you'll need 16 ;)
  • Parravon likes this

#5 CrookedWookie

CrookedWookie

• Members
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:16 AM

I was reading through some of the other threads and I've noticed some folks like to list their ships in their signature (me also). Then I noticed someone with 21 TIE fighters (can't remember who, sorry).

So I was wondering, when would you use that many ships in a game? Obviously for bigger games, but how often?

Who has got lots (and I mean LOTS) of ships and uses large numbers regularly, and how do those games turn out? Just interested to find out.

Agree with dbmeboy; I probably have at least 10 B-Wings in all.  Couple of them I found on sale someplace, or traded for...  I do often fly 3-4 at once, I've got several I've modified to fly sideways, a couple at any time I'm messing around with trying to paint or whatever.  I do like to have them in a mix of poses so that if I field 4 I can have them all uniform, or all unique, or use the poses by loadout so I can remember them more easily.

And as was pointed out, it's nice to have extra ships if I'm teaching someone how to play, or in case something breaks, or whatever.

#6 Parravon

Parravon

• Members
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:36 PM

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying having LOTS of ships is overkill. Just the opposite. I play Epic Armageddon often and have more stuff than I can ever hope to field in one game - it's the collector in me I guess. The main question was how do the bigger games generally go? How big do you need to get with the play area? How many players? And how long would a 300 pt game be likely to run. We have several guys with a reasonable number of ships that we could all pool into a big game.

Rick

Hastings, New Zealand

3 TIE Fighters, 3 TIE Int, 1 TIE Adv, 1 TIE Bomber, 1 TIE Phantom, 1 TIE Defender, 1 Firespray-31

#7 dvor

dvor

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:08 AM

Then I noticed someone with 21 TIE fighters (can't remember who, sorry).

IIRC the basic TIE assignment for an ISD consists of 12 bombers, 12 landing craft and 48 fighters. With only 21 fighters there is a long way to go. :D

X-wing is played over a series of game rounds. Turn is a type of maneuver.

#8 Parravon

Parravon

• Members
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:26 PM

If you use a Victory class Star Destroyer as your base, you'll only need three more TIEs.  :)

Rick

Hastings, New Zealand

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS