• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

The Grey

• Members
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:31 PM

Well... it's been a long road.  We've had some good times, we've had some sad times, we've all spent far too much time on here and yet there is always more more more...

6 months later and I'm at 1000 posts.  I'll let the math wingers tell me how many a day that averages out to.  To commemorate this event... a huge event... one question...

How would you play a 1000pt game?

2 players?  4 players?  Reinforcement mechanics?  Scenarios?  Goals?  Or just one big slugfest?

So what would you fly:

Solo- 1000pts

Team- 500pts split between 2 players

or the more realistic 2 players at 250pts?

• Audio Weasel likes this

#2 DoubleNot7

DoubleNot7

• Members
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:40 PM

Brim 'em battle. Bring what you have, put it down and fight. Points be damned.
  • Filthy Pierre and Audio Weasel like this

Enimo Et Fide

#3 Eltnot

Eltnot

• Members
  • 823 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:47 PM

I don't know, but this game would be closeish:

page_xwing-in-play.jpg

• The_Brown_Bomber, Chris Maes, SolennelBern and 18 others like this

Carpe Jugulum

Spoiler

#4 DagobahDave

DagobahDave

• Members
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:57 PM

I wouldn't play 1000 points all at once. I'd work out some kind of campaign system, and break things up into episodes. :)

• gentgeen and Darthfish like this

Join the Unofficial X-Wing Galactic Campaign and propel your favorite faction toward victory every time you play!

#5 QuinnCee

QuinnCee

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:20 PM

What a picture. My wife is worried that I'll become like that Storm Trooper. Frankly, I wouldn't mind...

• Fluxis and Digitalkiller like this

Rebels: 5 Y-Wing, 6 X-Wing, 5 A-Wing, 4 B-Wing, 1 YT-1300, 1 HWK, 2 E-Wing, 4 Z-95, 1 GR-75, 1 Tantive IV

Empire: 1 TIE-A, 8 TIE, 7 TIE-I, 2 TIE-B, 2 TIE-D, 2 TIE-P, 1 Firespray 31

#6 Lappenlocker

Lappenlocker

• Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:06 PM

How would you play a 1000pt game?

With lots of beer and Depends (wouldn't want to leave the table).
  • Rakky Wistol likes this
Bob Bell, Wylie TX
Rebels: (5) X-Wings, (4) Y-Wings, (2) A-Wings, (2) B-Wings, (2) YT-1300s, (2) HWK-290s
Imperials: (9) TIE Fighters, (2) TIE Advanced, (2) TIE Interceptors, (2) TIE Bombers, (2) Lambda Shuttles, (2) Firespray-31s, (2) Imperial Aces

#7 Daeglan

Daeglan

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:23 PM

it takes about 8 hours to play a thousand point game. and is worth every minute :)

• Tashiro31, Viceroy Bolda, GroggyGolem and 1 other like this

#8 Stelar 7

Stelar 7

• Members
  • 586 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:34 PM

With 1000 points I would reenact the 2nd Death Star fight.
Rebel scum: 5 X-Wings, 4 Y-Wings, 3 A-Wings, 3 B-Wings, 2 Hawks, 1Falcon, 2 E-Wings, 4 Z-95 1 Transport.

Imperial cannon fodder: 2 Phantoms, 2 Defenders, 7 Tie Fighters, 7 Interceptors, 3 Bombers, 2 Lambdas, 3 Firesprays, 1 Vader, er Tie Advanced

#9 Chris Maes

Chris Maes

• Members
  • 328 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:34 PM

As many players as you can get.  The more the merrier, because this is going to be epic.  And epic memories are best shared by as many people as can share in the fun!  I'd love to participate in that game.

Just a thought... I'd love to host a convention game or major get together, where players brought their collections and we fought a huge battle.  Maybe fought as several simultaneous engagements as part of a day long (weekend long?) campaign.  100 pt v 100 pt tournaments are fine, but hardly constitute an epic battle and epic battles are what SW is all about!

Chris

• Darthfish and Stelar 7 like this

#10 LeoHowler

LeoHowler

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:04 AM

I'd have to do an epic 1000 point game, but I'm not entirely sure I'd even be able to field 1000 points with the forces I currently have, even if I were to max out my pilots. I'd have to wait until wave 4 and the large ships come out before I'd attempt something quite that crazy.

• Rakky Wistol likes this

~Remember Alderaan~

Alliance Fleet: 4 X-Wings, 3 Y-Wings, 3 A-Wings, 2 B-Wings, 2 HWK-290, 2 YT-1300, , 3 Z-95's, 2 E-Wings, 1 GR-75

Imperial Navy: 5 TIE Fighters, 1 TIE Bomber, 2 TIE Interceptors, 1 TIE Advance x1, 1 Lambda Class Shuttle, 3 Firespray 31, 1 TIE Defender

Black Sun Private Fleet: Coming soon~

#11 Khyros

Khyros

Winner of local 4 person Tourney

• Members
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:37 AM

Dang... I just put together two squads... one using every ship and filling every slot with what I would want in there if I could proxy everything, and that came out to 884.  Then I decided to make a max squad without proxying anything and came up with 871.  Bah humbug, I guess I can't really fly a 1000 game by myself.  Thankfully, I should be able to pull together 300+ points of rebels from whomever I'm playing against, so I won't have to put shield upgrades on every. single. ship. to get to 1000 points.

The fleet:  

Spoiler

#12 Papamambo

Papamambo

• Members
  • 346 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:52 AM

What is sick about that picture is the fact that by doing the math, The Imperial player spent close to $1000 on his ships alone.  At $15 a pop and $30 for each Firespray, I counted close to $900 in Imperial ships (and I may have missed a couple that were hiding behind other ships).  $1 a point...  That's too rich for my blood.  :P

I've played a 300 point game that took us roughly 6 hours (300 points per side).  I would imagine that 1000 points would take quite a bit longer.  It would probably be best played over a weekend..

"It isn't the bullet with his name on it that the professional soldier has to fear. It's all those addressed 'To Whom it May Concern' - AnonymousRebel - X-Wing (3), Y-Wing (1), A-Wing (2), B-Wing (2), E-Wing (1), Z-95 (2), Hwk-290 (1), YT-1300 (1), GR-75 Transport (1)Imperial - TIE ln (3), TIE Interceptor (1), TIE Bomber (1), TIE Defender (1), TIE Phantom (2), Lambda(1), Firespray (1), Imperial Aces (1)

#13 Khyros

Khyros

Winner of local 4 person Tourney

• Members
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:59 AM

What is sick about that picture is the fact that by doing the math, The Imperial player spent close to $1000 on his ships alone.  At $15 a pop and $30 for each Firespray, I counted close to $900 in Imperial ships (and I may have missed a couple that were hiding behind other ships).  $1 a point...  That's too rich for my blood.  :P

I've played a 300 point game that took us roughly 6 hours (300 points per side).  I would imagine that 1000 points would take quite a bit longer.  It would probably be best played over a weekend..

But if he got the TIEs in the Target sale at $12 bucks for a core, that's only $6 per TIE...  Not to mention if he went to sell the X wing on Ebay for $8+ bucks, now he's only paying 2 bucks a TIE.  The rest of the fleet is relatively normal, 11 x1, 8 int, 2 Firesprays... not too extravagant.  

Edited by Khyros, 21 February 2014 - 10:00 AM.

The fleet:  

Spoiler

#14 Darthfish

Darthfish

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:26 AM

There are 3 things missing in that picture. Red Bull, pizza, and me!

#15 Darthfish

Darthfish

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:28 AM

Oh and it's just begging for the Tantive to be leading the charge!

#16 Viceroy Bolda

Viceroy Bolda

• Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:28 PM

Four players, two per side.  Each player makes a 200 point list to start the game and two 150 point reinforement squads. 

Game begins.  Rock-paper-scissors to see who gets reinforced first.  Staring round four (or later because your board is going to be huge) that player lines his pieces up on the edge of the board during the planning phase, makes maneuvers as usual.  Moving clockwise around the board, each player takes turns adding a reinforement squad till each person has sent in one squad.  Play four rounds, repeat.

Bulldog

"What's 'e going to do?  Nibble my bum?"

#17 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

The Grey

• Members
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:49 PM

Four players, two per side.  Each player makes a 200 point list to start the game and two 150 point reinforement squads. 

Game begins.  Rock-paper-scissors to see who gets reinforced first.  Staring round four (or later because your board is going to be huge) that player lines his pieces up on the edge of the board during the planning phase, makes maneuvers as usual.  Moving clockwise around the board, each player takes turns adding a reinforement squad till each person has sent in one squad.  Play four rounds, repeat.

I think this is the most economical and therefore viable way to do it. 

...of course with 4 players you'd have to do rock paper scissors lizard spock instead.

Edited by Rakky Wistol, 21 February 2014 - 05:49 PM.

• Revanchist and Viceroy Bolda like this

#18 Viceroy Bolda

Viceroy Bolda

• Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:35 PM

Another way to do it is to go counter clockwise with the second reinforcement starting with whoever was last in the first reinforcement. 

Bulldog

"What's 'e going to do?  Nibble my bum?"

#19 Lappenlocker

Lappenlocker

• Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:01 PM

... go counter clockwise with the second reinforcement...

Are you from down under? "Counter clockwise?!" Are you daft, man?! ;)
Bob Bell, Wylie TX
Rebels: (5) X-Wings, (4) Y-Wings, (2) A-Wings, (2) B-Wings, (2) YT-1300s, (2) HWK-290s
Imperials: (9) TIE Fighters, (2) TIE Advanced, (2) TIE Interceptors, (2) TIE Bombers, (2) Lambda Shuttles, (2) Firespray-31s, (2) Imperial Aces

#20 Revanchist

Revanchist

• Members
  • 865 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:35 PM

No, he's just putting a positive angle on reinforcements :P
  • Tashiro31 and Lappenlocker like this
Imperial: 5 TIE/ln, 1 TIE/adv, 5 TIE/in, 1 TIE/sa, 1 Firespray-31, 1 Lambda
Rebel: 3 X-wing, 1 Y-wing, 1 A-wing, 1 B-wing, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300

"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS