• 5 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:36 PM

Can a Rogue Trader get access to Sanctioned Psyker for a private army

#2 Ruwalk

Ruwalk

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:52 PM

I don't see why not should be hard but nothing is truly out of reach for a Rogue Trader with enough time and thrones. 

#3 Marwynn

Marwynn

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:26 PM

Of course you should. The Adeptus Astra Telepathic controls the appointment of sanctioned psykers in the Imperium.

Now, a "sanctioned psyker" may not be what you think it means. An Astropath and a Navigator are both sanctioned psykers, but I think you mean a Primaris Psyker, a Battle Psyker.

Grease enough wheels and you should be able to field a few of your own Primaris Psykers. But that'll probably draw some attention. You do have the authority (well, it depends on your Warrant) to actually request the use of an Imperial Guard regiment as a Peer of the realm. Whether or not an Imperial Commander/Planetary Governor complies is purely up to how well you convince them.

The Gathering Strom  - A Chronicle of Intrigue, Space Battles, Planetary Invasions, and Dinner Parties

The Blessed Enterprise - Flagship of the Strom Dynasty / Reception Hall

Into the Strom - Venture into the secrets of the Strom Dynasty! 

#4 Ruwalk

Ruwalk

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:34 PM

sounds good to me 

#5 Traejun

Traejun

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:36 PM

Navigators are not psykers. They are mutants.

#6 jabberwoky

jabberwoky

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:16 AM

1. Psykers are mutants. Just as a square is a rectangle, a rectangle is not necessarily a square.

2. According to page 179 of the Rogue Trader core rulebook: "Navigators are not marked as psykers in the traditional sense within the Imperium, though they do have a connection with the warp and use its power to fuel their abilities. For all game purposes, however, a Navigator character is considered a psyker. This means that weapons, powers, and creatures that have special effects on a character that is a psyker will have similar effects on a Navigator character."

• Tenebrae likes this

#7 Amazing Larry

Amazing Larry

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:31 AM

I figure psyker squads, like anything in the Imperial Guard Codex should be potentially available to a RT. Now whether it's available where you are, or in the quantity you want it or whether you can afford it are a separate matter. Psykers are an uncommon and finite resource but I figure you could probably get them for about the same price as an average infantry company or a handful of tanks.

• Radwraith and Wincent like this

#8 Magnus Grendel

Magnus Grendel

• Members
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:00 AM

Probably rarer than that, but the point is perfectly valid; astropaths and primaris psykers are deployed by the Astra Telepathica and get embedded into guard regiments. The Rogue trader has the authority to requisition guard regiments (in theory), hence can in theory have access to anything you might find attached to them.

Hell, if he can persuade the adeptus to provide him with an astropath choir, one more psyker is hardly going to mess things around too much.

Besides which, if worst comes to worst (and he's staying clear of imperial space) you can always hire unsanctioned psykers at extremely reasonable rates...

• Nameless2all and Wincent like this

#9 Wincent

Wincent

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:31 AM

Just what others said and when you think about it peer (astra telepathica) becomes really usefull. Psykers are used and abused everywhere by everyone at daily basis, why you poor RT should not?

As a side note: One of my mates once wanted to raise ships crew from interbreed psykers schooled in theosophamy as an ultimate "gellar field". Idea that, thankfully, never reached fruitation.

#10 venkelos

venkelos

• Members
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:44 AM

In the core book, Fel's right hand woman is a potent Rogue Psyker, so they are certainly acquirable. If Fel doesn't make it, I've often batted around the idea that a party might try to enlist her to their crew, though I'm not sure if she'd do it. If you are a loose RT, and don't mind breaking a few of the Emperor's rules (Rogue Traders expressly get to do that), you could easily hire someone who fell between the cracks, out where the Imperium isn't so real. For the real deal, if the various military organizations will give you Guard, something no Navy ship is allowed to have (the Imperial Army was a problem in the Horus Heresy), and things like Leman Russ tanks, and some Rogue Traders do get such things, I can't see why a Primaris, or a group of Battle Choir psykers should really be so hard. Not easy, but if you got the rest of the Guard with them, then the same Minders the Guard counts on would be watching.

In the end, it's up to your GM, and why you want them. As for why it was never a character option, that sucked, but I don't know. Can probably make an Astropath Ascendant into an okay to awesome battle psyker, but that's not the Astropath's real job, even if it does make a player have fun (the game's real job).

Edited by venkelos, 21 February 2014 - 07:45 AM.

#11 Traejun

Traejun

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:44 PM

1. Psykers are mutants. Just as a square is a rectangle, a rectangle is not necessarily a square.

2. According to page 179 of the Rogue Trader core rulebook: "Navigators are not marked as psykers in the traditional sense within the Imperium, though they do have a connection with the warp and use its power to fuel their abilities. For all game purposes, however, a Navigator character is considered a psyker. This means that weapons, powers, and creatures that have special effects on a character that is a psyker will have similar effects on a Navigator character."

Might make balance-sense in an RPG, but inaccurate given the lore.  For me, lore trumps all rules.

• Erathia likes this

#12 Erathia

Erathia

• Members
  • 753 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:36 PM

Might make balance-sense in an RPG, but inaccurate given the lore.  For me, lore trumps all rules.

Total agreement there, but they still have a connection to the warp. It is markedly different from a Psyker's just as a human Psyker's is different from an Eldar Warlock, and they're both different from a Weirdboyz, but it's still a connection. If they freak out around the Shadow of the Warp cast by a Hive Fleet, which they do, then they can fall under the blanket term of "Psyker" to me.

• Nameless2all, Vandegraffe, Tenebrae and 1 other like this

Citizens of Grace! We have defeated both the Dark Eldar and Ork menaces that threatened your system! We need no thanks nor payments, so long as you do not leave the atmosphere during our salvage operations under pain of death! - Jequin Hos of The Hos Dynasty

#13 Nameless2all

Nameless2all

• Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 06:01 AM

According the original fluff, though it is scarcely known due to the Adeptus Ministorum teachings, Psykers are actually the true evolution of humanity. So they really should be categorized as another branch of the homo sapien species. Or, in Warhammer 40k terms, human sub-species. Though to do so would brand you as heretic.

So technically your both right, and both wrong. Confusing, ain't it?

Edited by Nameless2all, 22 February 2014 - 06:03 AM.

For a collection of fan created material, please refer to the link below. Some of it was edited/created by myself and friends, while most is other fan material. Happy gaming people.https://drive.google.com<p>-"May your endeavors always be prosperous, though they may not always be profitable."

#14 Nameless2all

Nameless2all

• Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 06:04 AM

Stupid font going black.

Edited by Nameless2all, 22 February 2014 - 06:05 AM.

For a collection of fan created material, please refer to the link below. Some of it was edited/created by myself and friends, while most is other fan material. Happy gaming people.https://drive.google.com<p>-"May your endeavors always be prosperous, though they may not always be profitable."

#15 venkelos

venkelos

• Members
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:38 AM

As I often whine about the Eldar hoarding their goodies to the death, rather than help those who will certainly outlive them (funny thought when an Eldar lives so long), it's a shame that they don't give some aide to a few Humans. I could happily fabricate a coven/alliance of Human Psykers who understand what they really are, and suspect what the Emperor truly was (his "divine" powers were Warp-fueled, too, despite their prodigious scale) using some Eldar gear (would like Tau, too, if they knew anything about psychic/warp stuff, but they don't, yet) to stabilize their power, and protect themselves from it, try and branch away from the Imperium. Certainly, they'd get attacked, and probably annihilated, but it would be an interesting idea.

If Tau and Humans could breed, I also just thought of the Shadow Caste, "shadows" of the Tau, half-breeds who begin to develop actual psychic abilities. Again, they'd be assaulted, probably by their people AND everyone else, but they could do some interesting stuff, and then that small group of Tau might make some tech breakthroughs in warp-lore. Already have the Zerg in 40K, now I'd have Protoss, too. ;)

#16 SirFrog

SirFrog

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:29 AM

Already have the Zerg in 40K, now I'd have Protoss, too. ;)

No, what you really have is Tyranids in StarCraft.

• Darth Smeg, Nameless2all, Tenebrae and 3 others like this

#17 venkelos

venkelos

• Members
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:24 AM

I'll give you that one, but the spirit of my thought still rings true with me.

#18 Erathia

Erathia

• Members
  • 753 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:26 PM

I'll give you that one, but the spirit of my thought still rings true with me.

Except that the Protoss Eldar do have a plan, and it involves everyone in the Galaxy dying, their God of the Dead awakening, and being reborn in a new universe where they can fix their plan. They have completely abandoned all hope of defeating Chaos.

It's possible Exodite Eldar might be willing to listen to you, but they don't have the kind of technological prowess of Craftworld Eldar, making them uninteresting to most Rogue Traders.

Citizens of Grace! We have defeated both the Dark Eldar and Ork menaces that threatened your system! We need no thanks nor payments, so long as you do not leave the atmosphere during our salvage operations under pain of death! - Jequin Hos of The Hos Dynasty

#19 venkelos

venkelos

• Members
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:02 PM

I've not done all the digging, but I've never heard that aspect of the Ynnead Plan. Most of them die, and he wakes up, and Slaanesh gets busted; all of that I've heard, but nowhere do I remember some BS about a separate universe, where there are no Ruinous Powers, where the Eldar will be reborn to screw that universe up, too. Certainly, I'm not the expert on it I wish I was, especially since Eldar are my overall favorite race, but it always stops, when I read, with the Eldar gone, and Ynnead over Slaanesh, leaving a somewhat unchanged universe in which everyone else still fights, because that's the universe of 40K, and three Ruinous Powers (they existed as three for a long time before Slaanesh was created by the Fall) still being colossal d-bags to everyone. Nothing says how Ynnead plans to fight Tzeentch after that, and get pwned by the circling vulture of fate, or by Khorne, who is basically a more powerful version of Khaine (even the name is similar). Even the Eldar won't all be gone, because their prophecy never incorporates the Dark Kin, who don't wear soulstones, and actively keep Slaanesh strong, in order to stay alive themselves, while flipping off their Craftworld kin.

I apologize for the ranting. They certainly may have added to the Ynnead Prophecy since last I read stuff, and they "killed" Eldrad, my favorite Eldar (I'm still hoping he comes back in a big battle possessing that Blackstone Fortress; screw you Slaanesh, the Eldar deserve ONE), but I've always felt a bit leery of it, because GW makes the plodding Imperium their center, and nothing that doesn't involve them centrally will usually come about and mean much. So long as the Emperor still "lives", and battles the Ruinous Powers in the Empryean, I think that the Eldar's plans will sit on hold for those writers. Also, I often hate when the Elves Retreat. Every fantasy setting seems to try and pull it once, where the Elves tire of the world they no longer rule, and decide to go to some other place that just so happens to exist, and only they can go there. Call it Arvandor, Evermeet Isle, or Valinor, they always run like cowards, rather than doing what the old man in a story is meant to do; pass on his lore, and help the young learn from his mistakes, rather than repeat them. Sure, Kenobi has to die at the end, so that Luke can grow and surpass him, but he needed to give Luke the start, so he even had a clue. The Eldar cry that they made Slaanesh, and that Humanity might duplicate that feat on a grander scale, whether the Emperor will change, or some pure Ruinous Power will coalesce, I don't know, but they sure aren't trying to warn Mankind about it, stop them from being stupid. "Nah, just let it happen. We'll have a whole new universe soon, and none of this will have mattered. We wont even remember it..."

Still believe that a Rogue Trader empowered to get an army can get a Psyker, just to stay a bit on track. Almost anything an Inquisitor can do, a Rogue Trader can, for different reasons, and many Inquisitors CAN'T get a ship full time. I still think many Rogue Traders would just pull a Hadarak Fel, and find a loose one on the streets of Footfall, or something. There will be a span of time where they don't get along, the psyker wondering what you are going to do, but you treat them like a part of the crew, give them some wealth access, and you'll have one of your own; just keep a wary eye for nosebleeds and chill breezes. Anything a Guard force can have, YOUR Guard force can have, so Sanctioned ones are that easy. Whether you can keep one, that might be a bit trickier, but you own planets, so what's one person, and whose even watching way out there (the =][= Inquisition =][=, but it's better you don't notice them.)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS