Star Wars: Rebels

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#61 warrasmus

warrasmus

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:16 PM

I liked that reply.... maimed count...NICE....

#62 riplikash

riplikash

• Members
  • 523 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:39 PM

I'm sorry, but there is NOTHING creative about...

- The Dark, brooding, and mysterious hero.  He turned away from his warrior ways because of the horrible things he has seen, but reluctantly comes back to save the world.

- The grumpy dwarf (er, droid) fixing things.  Good lord, it would only be less creative if the thing sneezes because of some ridiculous allergy, and I won't be the least bit surprised when he does.

- The so-poor-he's-forced-to-be-a-thief-but-really-a-good-guy-at-heart.  Street smart, con artist, grew up on his own, pick pocket thief and altogether a great guy.  This guy might as well be Aladdin after he wished for Genie to make him a Jedi.

- The big, tough guy who starts to act like a big-brother/father figure to Alad... I mean Ezra.

- The plucky girl, with artsy armor and a penchant for spray painting things who in a COMPLETELY unexpected twist is a girl who loves guns and explosives!  The tagging thing is spectacularly stupid, it takes a modern American fad and plants it straight into Star Wars.  Even George Lucas wasn't foolish enough to put Jar Jar into saggy pants and tennis shoes despite doing everything else in his power to plant racial stereotypes in his prequels.  And a pink helmet?  Really?

The only thing that will make this train wreck of "creativity" complete is when the Inquisitor winds up being the only guy in the entire universe with a foreign aristocratic or middle eastern accent.  Oh look!  It's inquisitor Jafar!  The only guy in this entire PERSIAN KINGDOM with a middle eastern accent!

Sorry for the rant, but this looks pretty much like a paint-by-numbers Disney cartoon with a Star Wars face lift to me.  Clone Wars was great, but every new thing I hear about Rebels makes me believe it is less Star Wars and more Mickey Mouse every day.  Granted, this is a kids cartoon so I am not going to take this as an indication of where the entire IP is going.  Hopefully this is just the childish spinoff of Star Wars, and the movies will be the mature realization of the IP.

I hope so anyway.

First, graffiti is not an American fad, nor is it modern. We've got preserved graffiti in Pompeii. Graffiti has been a constant of human civilization since there has BEEN human civilization.

Second, your argument that those concepts aren't original implies a show is derivative and bad can be just as easily applied to the original trilogy. The core concept of Star Wars was taking older movie and story concepts and combining them in a new way. Your arguments just don't seem very substantive.

• Drakhan Valane likes this

#63 Jfitz1431

Jfitz1431

• Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:57 PM

- The Dark, brooding, and mysterious hero.  He turned away from his warrior ways because of the horrible things he has seen, but reluctantly comes back to save the world.

- The grumpy dwarf (er, droid) fixing things.  Good lord, it would only be less creative if the thing sneezes because of some ridiculous allergy, and I won't be the least bit surprised when he does.

- The so-poor-he's-forced-to-be-a-thief-but-really-a-good-guy-at-heart.  Street smart, con artist, grew up on his own, pick pocket thief and altogether a great guy.  This guy might as well be Aladdin after he wished for Genie to make him a Jedi.

- The big, tough guy who starts to act like a big-brother/father figure to Alad... I mean Ezra.

- The plucky girl, with artsy armor and a penchant for spray painting things who in a COMPLETELY unexpected twist is a girl who loves guns and explosives!  The tagging thing is spectacularly stupid, it takes a modern American fad and plants it straight into Star Wars.  Even George Lucas wasn't foolish enough to put Jar Jar into saggy pants and tennis shoes despite doing everything else in his power to plant racial stereotypes in his prequels.  And a pink helmet?  Really?

The only thing that will make this train wreck of "creativity" complete is when the Inquisitor winds up being the only guy in the entire universe with a foreign aristocratic or middle eastern accent.  Oh look!  It's inquisitor Jafar!  The only guy in this entire PERSIAN KINGDOM with a middle eastern accent!

Sorry for the rant, but this looks pretty much like a paint-by-numbers Disney cartoon with a Star Wars face lift to me.  Clone Wars was great, but every new thing I hear about Rebels makes me believe it is less Star Wars and more Mickey Mouse every day.  Granted, this is a kids cartoon so I am not going to take this as an indication of where the entire IP is going.  Hopefully this is just the childish spinoff of Star Wars, and the movies will be the mature realization of the IP.

I hope so anyway.

I understand your concerns. They are very "by the numbers" characters. And I agree with you it doesn't seem too exciting or creative. But at the same time consider these characters-

Damsel in distress who needs rescuing.

Wise old sage/wizard who gives guidance and wisdom to protagonist.

Two goofy comic relief sidekicks.

A swashbuckling scoundrel who only cares about himself but by the end shows that he really does have a heart of gold.

A farm boy who starts from humble origins but longs for more in his life. And by the end of the story, saves the day!

All these people get sucked into a conflict to stop an evil force from destroying the world! 

Sound familiar?

The original Star Wars took the most basic of storytelling elements and caricatures that had been around for centuries and simply put them in space with starships, blasters, and light sabers. 

But that was it's charm! The simplicity of the characters and the basic good vs evil storytelling. So while the new tv show may be chalk full of painfully obvious stereotypes, I wouldn't write it off just yet. It could take those character types and tell a really great story. Who knows though? It could be terrible lol. We'll find out eventually.

#64 Captain Lackwit

Captain Lackwit

HWK Pilot

• Members
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:10 PM

What he said.

"There's got to be a better way to make a living..." -Kyle Katarn
Resident HWK-290 Enthusiast, Trainee pilot. _\.o./_
Kills: |o| |o| |o| {o} {o} (o) >o<

STAR WARS: REBELS Discussion Thread

#65 GroggyGolem

GroggyGolem

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:20 PM

I hope so anyway.

I understand your concerns. They are very "by the numbers" characters. And I agree with you it doesn't seem too exciting or creative. But at the same time consider these characters-

1. Damsel in distress who needs rescuing.

2. Wise old sage/wizard who gives guidance and wisdom to protagonist.

3. Two goofy comic relief sidekicks.

4. A swashbuckling scoundrel who only cares about himself but by the end shows that he really does have a heart of gold.

5. A farm boy who starts from humble origins but longs for more in his life. And by the end of the story, saves the day!

All these people get sucked into a conflict to stop an evil force from destroying the world! 

Sound familiar?

The original Star Wars took the most basic of storytelling elements and caricatures that had been around for centuries and simply put them in space with starships, blasters, and light sabers. 

But that was it's charm! The simplicity of the characters and the basic good vs evil storytelling. So while the new tv show may be chalk full of painfully obvious stereotypes, I wouldn't write it off just yet. It could take those character types and tell a really great story. Who knows though? It could be terrible lol. We'll find out eventually.

The Avengers

1. The world (mostly New York)

2. Nick Fury

3. Thor and Hulk

4. Iron Man

5. Captain America

The Lord of the Rings

1. The Shire

2. Gandalf

3. Merry and Pipin

4. Aragorn

5. Frodo and Sam

2009's Star Trek

1. Earth

2. Captain Pike

3. Scotty and his alien pal

4. & 5. Kirk

Batman Begins

1. Gotham

2. Alfred Pennyworth

3. The Gotham City Police Department

4. Batman

5. N/A

#JustSaiyan

Rebels: 3 X-Wing, 1 Y-Wing, 1 A-Wing, 1 B-Wing, 1 YT-1300

Imperials: 5 TIE/LN, 1 TIE/ADV, 1 TIE/IN, 1 Firespray-31

#66 oneway

oneway

Imperial Bomber Pilot

• Members
  • 2,892 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:24 PM

A man named Joseph Campbell talked about the power of myth and mythology... all stories are a derivitive of similar ideas. Back as far as ancient Rome and Egypt do we have such tales of damsels in distress and the characters that come to save her... hence, there are really no new ideas, just different twists on old concepts and ideas...

Edited by oneway, 26 February 2014 - 05:25 PM.

"I mean, come on kid, my armor's older than you are.."

"Hahaha. Very funny, at least I only hit the enemy target, Ya collateral bastard."

Corp. Haig Talin, MK - 472

Armor 18 - Fire - N - Ice 181st Mechanized Armor Assault Div

#67 Nataris

Nataris

• Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:46 PM

Next character reveal:

A young emo stormtrooper that ironically hates conformity yet is lost in a sea of white armor. The eventual love interest of the spunky mandalorian girl. Possible love triangle with Alladin?
  • GroggyGolem likes this

#68 Captain Lackwit

Captain Lackwit

HWK Pilot

• Members
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:33 PM

Next character reveal:

A young emo stormtrooper that ironically hates conformity yet is lost in a sea of white armor. The eventual love interest of the spunky mandalorian girl. Possible love triangle with Alladin?

I ship it.

• GroggyGolem likes this

#69 GroggyGolem

GroggyGolem

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:18 AM

Hipster Smugglers. They hid stolen cargo before it was cool.

• Nataris likes this

Rebels: 3 X-Wing, 1 Y-Wing, 1 A-Wing, 1 B-Wing, 1 YT-1300

Imperials: 5 TIE/LN, 1 TIE/ADV, 1 TIE/IN, 1 Firespray-31

#70 warrasmus

warrasmus

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:41 AM

Next character reveal:

They all seem to have a thing about helmets.... Don't forget to put on the helmet Darling.

Well he might be the most original new Character within The star wars Universe, a bad guy who is not evil(and not a bountyhunter)..... perhaps he is the Eichmann of this Universe -Duty first.... perhaps he is Rommel/Hector - the noble archenemy.... My bet is that he during the show will become- Claus Von Stauffenberg(operation Valkyrie).

• Nataris likes this

#71 Nataris

Nataris

• Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:00 AM

Voiced by Justin Beiber..

#72 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

The Grey

• Members
  • 2,882 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:00 PM

I'm sure I've seen the ghost somewhere before... It's very similar to the Smugglers ship from SWTORSWTOR-Smuggler-Ship-Header.jpg

The Ebon Hawk!

I have so many feels for this ship!

On topic though, I like the look of Rebels, and wouldn't have a problem if FFG wanted to include a ship or two. Certainly wouldn't say no to Ghost! :L

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo thatsnottheebonhawk

TOR takes place 3k years before the original trilogy, not 4.5k like KOTOR. That's... That's some bastard child of the hawk and falcon.

I like all the characters except for the girl and the alladin clone. Not every female characters needs to be this new age spunky type. Its played out already. And when life and death is hanging in the balance you're running around spray painting? Give me a break..

Not all star wars fans are 12 years old. This is what I'm scared of when it comes to Disney. Star wars is too "mature" to be a Disney property.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? Dude, Sabine's the best! Y'know why?

When have we seen a main character in star wars that's an artist before? And Star Wars, too mature?

...Y'mean with the teddy bears and the whistling and booping droids, and the little glowy eyed hooded men, on top of magic?

Let's not kid ourselves here.

Disney can handle mature I.P.s very well. Avengers was fantastic, subsequent films seem REALLY good, and sod it, Disney films themselves, the classics have some seriously dark undertones in them! Let's take the little mermaid for instance.

Like. Ursula. Oh god. Stealing souls and promising young wayward and unfortunate souls exactly what they want, but actively sabotaging it so she can hold their souls and use them in... Whatever horrible things she wants to do with them? Good god.

And that's just one example. Disney can handle dark undertones really, really well. Another case to make is, Star Wars was based on myths and legends, and classic stories of valor, honor and heroism. Japanese films of old with samurai, world war II films and tones, and some western elements. But then you've got your warrior with his magic sword that can best any foe taking on a great evil and so on. Swashbuckling rogues that use a blaster in place of a foil, princesses who can hold their own, hordes of faceless men fighting for evil.

Y'know, all that stuff.

Disney is very good at telling "legendary" type stories and tales. Star Wars could not be in better hands.

I agreed until that last bit... better hands yes... better production capabilities and the $$$ to back it... sure. 

#73 Eltnot

Eltnot

• Members
  • 980 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:19 PM

Next character reveal:

Stormtroopers have personalities too.

stormtrooper-twerk.gif

• oneway, NotBatman, warrasmus and 1 other like this

Carpe Jugulum

Spoiler

#74 Captain Lackwit

Captain Lackwit

HWK Pilot

• Members
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:29 PM

I'm sure I've seen the ghost somewhere before... It's very similar to the Smugglers ship from SWTORSWTOR-Smuggler-Ship-Header.jpg

The Ebon Hawk!

I have so many feels for this ship!

On topic though, I like the look of Rebels, and wouldn't have a problem if FFG wanted to include a ship or two. Certainly wouldn't say no to Ghost! :L

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo thatsnottheebonhawk

TOR takes place 3k years before the original trilogy, not 4.5k like KOTOR. That's... That's some bastard child of the hawk and falcon.

I like all the characters except for the girl and the alladin clone. Not every female characters needs to be this new age spunky type. Its played out already. And when life and death is hanging in the balance you're running around spray painting? Give me a break..

Not all star wars fans are 12 years old. This is what I'm scared of when it comes to Disney. Star wars is too "mature" to be a Disney property.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? Dude, Sabine's the best! Y'know why?

When have we seen a main character in star wars that's an artist before? And Star Wars, too mature?

...Y'mean with the teddy bears and the whistling and booping droids, and the little glowy eyed hooded men, on top of magic?

Let's not kid ourselves here.

Disney can handle mature I.P.s very well. Avengers was fantastic, subsequent films seem REALLY good, and sod it, Disney films themselves, the classics have some seriously dark undertones in them! Let's take the little mermaid for instance.

Like. Ursula. Oh god. Stealing souls and promising young wayward and unfortunate souls exactly what they want, but actively sabotaging it so she can hold their souls and use them in... Whatever horrible things she wants to do with them? Good god.

And that's just one example. Disney can handle dark undertones really, really well. Another case to make is, Star Wars was based on myths and legends, and classic stories of valor, honor and heroism. Japanese films of old with samurai, world war II films and tones, and some western elements. But then you've got your warrior with his magic sword that can best any foe taking on a great evil and so on. Swashbuckling rogues that use a blaster in place of a foil, princesses who can hold their own, hordes of faceless men fighting for evil.

Y'know, all that stuff.

Disney is very good at telling "legendary" type stories and tales. Star Wars could not be in better hands.

I agreed until that last bit... better hands yes... better production capabilities and the $$$ to back it... sure. 

Over half of Disney's signature films are based off of old tales, and the Disney ones are what we recognize as the quintessential ones.

What's to disagree with here?

#75 warrasmus

warrasmus

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 06:57 PM

Thats not stormtroopers but Tweerktroopers...

• oneway likes this

#76 NotBatman

NotBatman

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:46 AM

Next character reveal:

Stormtroopers have personalities too.

stormtrooper-twerk.gif

It's... hypnotic...

Dat ass...

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS