Pics of Wave 4

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Jfitz1431

Jfitz1431

• Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:04 PM

Found this online in case anyone is interested in a couple of close up pics of Wave 4. I never noticed that laser cannon on top of the E-Wing.  

http://www.crittohit...t-games-gallery

• PenguinBonaparte likes this

#2 PenguinBonaparte

PenguinBonaparte

• Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:18 PM

Thanks for these excellent pics! I still think the E wing looks really goofy with that cannon on the cockpit. Nice way to fry your pilot.

Edited by PenguinBonaparte, 20 February 2014 - 07:51 PM.

• Hrathen and LeoHowler like this

#3 jedi moose

jedi moose

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:22 PM

Great Pics! Penguin I don't think the canon makes the E-wing look goofy, but I do think it makes for an impractical blindspot. Under the cockpit or nosecone would have been a better design IMO

#4 Jfitz1431

Jfitz1431

• Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:23 PM

Yeah I don't really care for it either. I was pleased with the design before I noticed that. Also how does the cockpit cover open with that cannon sticking out over it? Does the cannon swivel or something? lol

#5 Hexis

Hexis

• Members
  • 763 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:24 PM

Hopefully they will put them in the Games Center soon.  I can head over and get a bunch of pictures.  I know some of the folks headed back had their flights delayed due to weather, so not sure when that may be on display.

• CrookedWookie likes this

#6 StevenO

StevenO

• Members
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:31 PM

Laser cannon on top doesn't add to the E-Wing's appearance.

#7 oneway

oneway

Imperial Bomber Pilot

• Members
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:31 PM

To the point of the canopy, and how it would move. It probably slides forward and then the pilot would have the barrel of the gun to leverage himself out of the cockpit.

"I mean, come on kid, my armor's older than you are.."

"Hahaha. Very funny, at least I only hit the enemy target, Ya collateral bastard."

Corp. Haig Talin, MK - 472

Armor 18 - Fire - N - Ice 181st Mechanized Armor Assault Div

#8 Khyros

Khyros

Advocate of A & E Wings Everywhere

• Members
  • 2,174 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:38 PM

To the point of the canopy, and how it would move. It probably slides forward and then the pilot would have the barrel of the gun to leverage himself out of the cockpit.

Assuming it's not hot as all *#$*&... In that case, he has an obstacle to avoid.  This is actually more likely to occur in space than in atmosphere.  In atmosphere, convection (forced, since the ship is flying) greatly helps to cool it off.  In addition, especially when it gets nice and hot, it can give off heat via radiation.  

However, in space, the only cooling method is radiation.  This can be the main cooling source at high temps since radiation heat transfer is proportional to the quadratic of the source temp less the quadratic of its surroundings (in this case, 0K).  So when it gets nice and hot... lets say 1000K (1340F... basically the sustained operating temp of exhaust gases in your catalytic converter) there's LOTS of heat transfer via radiation.  But when it starts getting back down to, say 500K (440F)... Which is only 6.25% of the heat transfer of the hotter temperature above... Which means that radiation can be a great way to maintain an operating temperature, but it won't cool the cannon off low enough that you could use it for egress.

Edited by Khyros, 20 February 2014 - 02:39 PM.

• aadh, PenguinBonaparte and Kanludar like this

The fleet:  

Spoiler

#9 Captain Lackwit

Captain Lackwit

HWK Pilot

• Members
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:38 PM

Cockpit just moves forward. There's plenty of fighters that do that.

E-Wing's fine, guys. Actually kinda' one of my favorite EU designs. Not because it's necessarily the most pretty thing, but because it's well... Ambitious. A replacement for the X-wing? Takes balls to try. Massive Balls.

EDIT: Are you guys forgetting about shielding? Among other things, the laser cannons probably don't provide much of an issue.

Noteworthy, I love the Z-95's Missle pods. Good to see that design aspect come in from Star Wars Galaxies.

Edited by Captain Lackwit, 20 February 2014 - 02:40 PM.

• aadh likes this

"There's got to be a better way to make a living..." -Kyle Katarn
Resident HWK-290 Enthusiast, Trainee pilot. _\.o./_
Kills: |o| |o| |o| {o} {o} (o) >o<

STAR WARS: REBELS Discussion Thread

#10 Jfitz1431

Jfitz1431

• Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:50 PM

I actually really like the E-Wing design. I think it fits in nicely with the movie ships. I just don't like that cannon placement. But I'm sure I'll get used to it. A couple of months ago I thought the TIE Defender was a piece of trash, but it has started to grow on me :)

And yeah I too really like those missile pods on the Headhunter. Helps to distinguish itself more from the X-Wing and is a nice touch. 

Another question though about the E-Wing though. Where does the Astromech droid fit? Is it inside the hull in the back? 

#11 Audio Weasel

Audio Weasel

• Members
  • 804 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:54 PM

I've seen depictions of the E-Wing with the cannon in a chinmounted position, and I honestly think I like it better on top.

Jfitz1431, on 20 Feb 2014 - 3:50 PM, said:

Another question though about the E-Wing though. Where does the Astromech droid fit? Is it inside the hull in the back? 

He's in the trunk, beeping irritably.

Edited by Audio Weasel, 20 February 2014 - 02:56 PM.

Current Fleet:

Rebel: 4 A-Wings, 4 B-Wings, 2 HWK-290's, 3 YT-1300s, 4 X-Wings, 2 Y-Wing, 1 Tantive IV, 1 Rebel Transport, 4 E-Wing, 7 Z-95, 2 Rebel Aces, 2 YT-2400

Imperial:  3 Lambda Shuttles,  2 Firespray-31's, 3 Tie Advanced, 4 Tie Bombers, 6 Tie Fighters, 2 Tie Interceptors,   2 Imperials Aces, 4 TIE Phantom, 4 TIE Defender, 2 Decimator

On Pre-order: 2 IG-2000, 4 Starviper, 4 Scik Interceptor, 2 Most Wanted

#12 Crabbok

Crabbok

The Doctor

• Members
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:55 PM

Great pics!  The Tantive IV looks so sexy!

#13 CrookedWookie

CrookedWookie

• Members
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:02 PM

I actually really like the E-Wing design. I think it fits in nicely with the movie ships. I just don't like that cannon placement. But I'm sure I'll get used to it. A couple of months ago I thought the TIE Defender was a piece of trash, but it has started to grow on me :)

And yeah I too really like those missile pods on the Headhunter. Helps to distinguish itself more from the X-Wing and is a nice touch. 

This picture actually helps explain a lot.
But yeah - someone finally figured out that having your droid's head sticking up where it could get shot was a bad idea.

Ewing_cockpit_zpsd21138e4.jpg

• Jfitz1431, Parravon and LeoHowler like this

#14 Captain Lackwit

Captain Lackwit

HWK Pilot

• Members
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:12 PM

And that, my friend, is why the E-Wing is a -genius- design.

EDIT: Also notice how the cannon separates and pivots up. Utterly brilliant.

Edited by Captain Lackwit, 20 February 2014 - 03:13 PM.

"There's got to be a better way to make a living..." -Kyle Katarn
Resident HWK-290 Enthusiast, Trainee pilot. _\.o./_
Kills: |o| |o| |o| {o} {o} (o) >o<

STAR WARS: REBELS Discussion Thread

#15 jasonkw

jasonkw

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:21 PM

Interesting that the name cards for the phantom and defender (and I assume the e-wing and z-95 too) say "Not final product. Pending licenser approval." 

I guess that means Lucas Film could have them alter the models if they feel they don't match the source material closely enough.

Rebel: A-Wing (x2), X-Wing (x4), YT-1300 (x1), Y-Wing (x1), B-Wing (x1), HWK (x1)
Imperial: TIE Fighter (x7), TIE Interceptor (x2), Firespray (x1), Lambda Shuttle (x1) TIE Bomber (x1)

#16 Khyros

Khyros

Advocate of A & E Wings Everywhere

• Members
  • 2,174 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:25 PM

Interesting that the name cards for the phantom and defender (and I assume the e-wing and z-95 too) say "Not final product. Pending licenser approval." 

I guess that means Lucas Film could have them alter the models if they feel they don't match the source material closely enough.

The same thing was said on the GR-75 and Tantive IV.  It's the same disclaimer that you'll see in car advertisements in fine print about "product shown is a prototype vehicle.  Actual vehicle may vary" or whatever.

The fleet:  

Spoiler

#17 CrookedWookie

CrookedWookie

• Members
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:26 PM

It depends - "pending" can mean two different things there.

"Pending [awaiting] licensing approval," 

or

"Licensing approval [is already] pending."

#18 jasonkw

jasonkw

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:55 PM

It depends - "pending" can mean two different things there.

"Pending [awaiting] licensing approval," 

or

"Licensing approval [is already] pending."

Good point.

Rebel: A-Wing (x2), X-Wing (x4), YT-1300 (x1), Y-Wing (x1), B-Wing (x1), HWK (x1)
Imperial: TIE Fighter (x7), TIE Interceptor (x2), Firespray (x1), Lambda Shuttle (x1) TIE Bomber (x1)

#19 DeanCota

DeanCota

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:40 PM

This picture actually helps explain a lot.
But yeah - someone finally figured out that having your droid's head sticking up where it could get shot was a bad idea.

Ewing_cockpit_zpsd21138e4.jpg

I like this.  Definitely going to be picking up an E, maybe a couple Z95s.

#20 HunterEste

HunterEste

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:54 PM

I really like that TIE Defender, the Z-95 looks...well like a Z-95, the TIE Phantom is a great nostalgia rush for me, Rebel Assault 2 was the first Star Wars game I ever played....the E-Wing...well from that angle it looks like the rebel's 'short-bus' fighter :/

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS