In terms of weight....

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 windywillows

windywillows

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:08 PM

Hello all!! I am running the Enemy of my Enemy adventure and I had a question about the glitterstim containers in the first act. Since I know my players will want to sell it off eventually... So I was curious as to how much encumbrance a half ton of the stuff (that's how much is described in the adventure) would be and also what the market price on it would be. Thanks!

#2 LibrariaNPC

LibrariaNPC

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:33 PM

Considering that a vial dose of glitterstim is relatively light, maybe about half a pound in total after including the vial. A dose probably is just a few ounces.

Trying to determine how much a half ton is via Encumbrance is clunky. Is it boxed in easy-to-store/carry way? If so, that value would be a LOT smaller than half a ton of vials. . .

In any case, eyeball it, but I'd probably put it in the ballpark of 10+ if anyone gets crazy about it. Of course, common sense will trump when it comes to carrying it. . .

"Smilies exist because no one's bothered to make a sarcasm font." Lost_Heretic

LibrariaNPC's Starship Yard (Fighters and Freighter chapters as PDFs!)

#3 whafrog

whafrog

• Members
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:39 PM

There's no direct Encumbrance/Weight conversion, so if the amount is given in tons, then you have to use actual weights and "real life".  Brawn 2 can probably move 30-50 pounds without affecting mobility, and maybe 200 for short distances.  Unless you have an army or a forklift you're not going to move a lot of it unless you have a lot of time.

As for price, I don't think there is a set price.  My players found a small satchel of premium spice, and they got "only" 4000 for it since they failed Negotiation and rolled a Despair to boot (but got a Triumph, so they got the lowball figure, and the guy had the money on him).  By that measure, a half ton is a planet-buying fortune, so I don't suggest using my numbers, I just made it up on the spot.

If you consider that a kilo of cocaine is worth about $20000, and a ton is 1000 kilos (roughly), well...maybe your players shouldn't be allowed to get away with all of it :)

#4 Dbuntu

Dbuntu

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:49 PM

I'm AFB, but what's the it say for the case of 100 doses? I'd just go with whatever that is because:

1. It's easier.

2. I don't think the mass of Glitterstim is ever mentioned in the EU. You can make it up.

3. Weight is a function of gravity which changes planet to planet.

Price wise: A lot. Stuff is rare, addictive, and illegal. It's going to be really expensive to buy in bulk. Hell, it's probably going to be a pain to sell in bulk based on how controlled it is. I don't think I can just put Whafrog's kilo of cocaine up on Craigslist.  You have to know somebody to move that kind of product.

#5 LibrariaNPC

LibrariaNPC

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:09 PM

I'm AFB, but what's the it say for the case of 100 doses? I'd just go with whatever that is because:

1. It's easier.

2. I don't think the mass of Glitterstim is ever mentioned in the EU. You can make it up.

3. Weight is a function of gravity which changes planet to planet.

Price wise: A lot. Stuff is rare, addictive, and illegal. It's going to be really expensive to buy in bulk. Hell, it's probably going to be a pain to sell in bulk based on how controlled it is. I don't think I can just put Whafrog's kilo of cocaine up on Craigslist.  You have to know somebody to move that kind of product.

Now that I have a chance to pull out the book:

A 100 dose case is 5 Encumbrance. Not sure how much is padding there, or if the case is entirely full, but that's it.

As for the cost side, a "dose" is 100 credits. If they are selling it to a buyer/addict, they can possibly sell it for that (or more), but that makes them a dealer instead of "just" a smuggler. Selling it to someone else who plans on selling it will probably run the usual based on the Negotiation roll. . .and that doesn't include the work of actually FINDING someone to buy that much. . .

#6 whafrog

whafrog

• Members
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:52 PM

Where did you find that?  The index in CRB is terrible.

#7 LibrariaNPC

LibrariaNPC

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:02 PM

Where did you find that?  The index in CRB is terrible.

Page 185. Table 5-9: Black Market Items.

I have a flag there for situations like this. . .or when the Medic needs some "medical supplies" outside of his medkit.

• whafrog likes this

#8 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,755 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:04 PM

Oddly enough, 5 Encumbrance is the same as for a Large Specimen Container which can hold two medium-large human-sized beings. So, each dose of glitterstim is 1/50 the mass of a human. If we average out the human to be 75kg, a dose is 1.5kg. This is with the stupid math that the game sticks us with since Encumbrance is totally borked if you look at it with your eyes open.

• LibrariaNPC likes this

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#9 FuriousGreg

FuriousGreg

• Members
  • 577 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:22 AM

I think most of us non criminals have very little understanding of how the drug trade works, this includes the writers of adventures. Trying to sell this amount of stuff if you aren't already in the biz will be nearly impossible without it turning into a huge sh*tshow. Regardless unless they are prepared to stand on street corners and sell by the dose you'll be lucky to get 10% of the per dose value listed in the book plus they'll incur some serious Obligation from various drug lords that will want it for themselves.
Better to find a local cop and turn it in in exchange for a favor down the road.

Edited by FuriousGreg, 23 February 2014 - 09:10 PM.

• whafrog likes this

Watch these now. Really, right now. (Oh, there's some naughty language but we're all adults :D here)
http://redlettermedi...phantom-menace/

http://redlettermedi...-of-the-clones/

http://redlettermedi...ge-of-the-sith/

#10 LibrariaNPC

LibrariaNPC

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 11:08 AM

Oddly enough, 5 Encumbrance is the same as for a Large Specimen Container which can hold two medium-large human-sized beings. So, each dose of glitterstim is 1/50 the mass of a human. If we average out the human to be 75kg, a dose is 1.5kg. This is with the stupid math that the game sticks us with since Encumbrance is totally borked if you look at it with your eyes open.

This. For all the things good and sweet in Odin's beard, this.

The Encumbrance values have been a thorn in my side for EVERY ship I've tried to stat as well as every cargo my players have been asking about. I tend to hand wave a lot of things and go with common sense.

• cvtheoman likes this

#11 RedfordBlade

RedfordBlade

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:26 PM

While I recognize that vehicle Encumbrance is a little different from personal Encumbrance, this seems like the best place to ask:

How much would a Size 1 being (say, an unconscious human) add to Encumbrance? Say, if you were carrying a wounded ally to safety.

#12 Krieger22

Krieger22

• Members
  • 643 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:42 PM

Doesn't people have Encumbrance equal to their Brawn, or something like that? Or Brawn plus Silhouette seems better.

#13 LibrariaNPC

LibrariaNPC

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:08 PM

While I recognize that vehicle Encumbrance is a little different from personal Encumbrance, this seems like the best place to ask:

How much would a Size 1 being (say, an unconscious human) add to Encumbrance? Say, if you were carrying a wounded ally to safety.

Doesn't people have Encumbrance equal to their Brawn, or something like that? Or Brawn plus Silhouette seems better.

Page 152 covers that.

Basically, you get 5+Brawn as a "threshold" to carry without any penalty. It then states that if you go over this, you get a setback to all agility and Brawn rolls for every point you are over this. You also get hit with the loss of free maneuvers if you are over this value by a number equal to your brawn.

So having Brawn 2 means you can carry around 7 Encumbrance of gear (5+2), but if you get to 9, you lose your free maneuver.

#14 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,755 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:16 PM

Brawn + 5 actually, so every being can carry their twin without an issue.

• cvtheoman likes this

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#15 RedfordBlade

RedfordBlade

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:59 AM

Works as well as anything I've come up with. Thanks, folks.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS