Photo

Probably asked, but advice on what to buy?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ghaundan

Ghaundan

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:14 AM

There are probably lots of threads like this already, but with new stuff coming out all the time I figured I'd ask.

I've had my eyes on this game for quite some times, seeing battlereports on miniwargaming and of course the excellent trailers and tutorial that FFG put out. Having played it for the first time next week and finding a good sale online I bought 2 core sets (all FFG stuff seems to require 2 core sets...), Millenium Falcon and Slave-1. Now, I'm sure me and my friends can have alot of fun with this, but I'm a bit worried that my fighter choices are rather...one dimensional.

So, when I eventually want to expand, what should I buy? Which ships are good and add something new to the mix?

#2 The_Brown_Bomber

The_Brown_Bomber

• Members
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:20 AM

http://community.fan...et-you-started/

start here :)

• StevenO likes this

"There will be a substantial reward for anyone who finds the Millenium Falcon. You are free to use whatever means necessary, but I want them alive. No disintegration!".

Lord Vader

#3 Ghaundan

Ghaundan

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:43 PM

Awesome, thank you! One tip though, of it's for new players you might want to explain stuff like XX and BX because that means nothing to me. Maybe it's mentioned in the rulebook...

#4 Khyros

Khyros

• Members
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:47 PM

X = X wing

B = B wing

A = A wing

Y = Y wing

TIE/ln = Tie Fighter

TIE/x1 = Tie Advanced

TIE/in = Tie Interceptor

TIE/sa = Tie bomber

MF = Millennium Falcon

YT = YT-1300, the generic name for the type of ship the Millennium Falcon is

HWK = HWK-290, the generic name for the type of ship the Moldy Crow is

FS = Firespray-31, the generic name for the type of ship the Slave 1 is

Lambda = Lambda shuttle, the generic name for the type of ship the ST-321 and Shuttle Tyberium are

ST-321 = The Emperor's personal shuttle, as seen in RoTJ

Anything else?

The fleet:  

Spoiler

#5 DraconPyrothayan

DraconPyrothayan

• Members
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:01 PM

X = X wing

B = B wing

A = A wing

Y = Y wing

TIE/ln = Tie Fighter

TIE/x1 = Tie Advanced

TIE/in = Tie Interceptor

TIE/sa = Tie bomber

MF = Millennium Falcon

YT = YT-1300, the generic name for the type of ship the Millennium Falcon is

HWK = HWK-290, the generic name for the type of ship the Moldy Crow is

FS = Firespray-31, the generic name for the type of ship the Slave 1 is

Lambda = Lambda shuttle, the generic name for the type of ship the ST-321 and Shuttle Tyberium are

ST-321 = The Emperor's personal shuttle, as seen in RoTJ

Anything else?

PTL = Push the Limit, a 3 point upgrade that lets you take a stress to perform a 2nd action

HLC = Heavy Laser Cannon, a 7 point upgrade that lets you shoot for 4 dice at range 2-3. Notable that it doesn't require a target lock, and doesn't get discarded when used.

DTF = Draw Their Fire, a 1 point upgrade that lets you take a Crit that was intended for an allied ship. Excellent when used with R2-D2 or Chewbacca.

HSF = Han Shoots First, a fleet archtype built around Han Solo's ability, comboed with the Gunner's ability, alongside two support ships.

#6 Ghaundan

Ghaundan

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:23 PM

okay, so BX is simply a b-wing and an X wing? I figured B and X alone meant, just not put together. Sounds good :) I'll have to read up.

• DraconPyrothayan likes this

#7 VanorDM

VanorDM

• Members
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:34 PM

okay, so BX is simply a b-wing and an X wing?

Yeah it's a shorthand we use to refer to rebel ships.

So XXXX is 4 X-Wings, XXYB is 2 X-Wings, a Y-Wing and a B-Wing. ABBA is a 70's disco group and 2 A-Wings and 2 B-Wings. You could list them AABB but I think ABBA is better.
  • Ghaundan, Revanchist and DraconPyrothayan like this

#8 Khyros

Khyros

• Members
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:43 PM

The general unspoken format is X Y A B H following the release... but it's far from a rule.  Notiable exceptions exist when discussing ABBA or BABY or the soon to be pirate squad PIZZA (phantom, interceptor, z95 z95, a wing)

• Ghaundan, VanorDM and DraconPyrothayan like this

The fleet:  

Spoiler

#9 Ghaundan

Ghaundan

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:07 PM

okay, so BX is simply a b-wing and an X wing?

Yeah it's a shorthand we use to refer to rebel ships.

So XXXX is 4 X-Wings, XXYB is 2 X-Wings, a Y-Wing and a B-Wing. ABBA is a 70's disco group and 2 A-Wings and 2 B-Wings. You could list them AABB but I think ABBA is better.

You're not a swede by chance?

But thanks for the small intro guys :) Can't wait to recieve my ships. Don't think I'll paint them, they seem decent. and I have ALOT of other stuff that needs painting.

#10 VanorDM

VanorDM

• Members
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:10 PM

You're not a swede by chance?

No, but I did survive the era of Disco. I saw something about ABBA on a page somewhere a few days ago and a question about a AABB list here, and for some reason the two things collided. So now I'm calling my ABBA list, the Dancing Queen. Which oddly enough sort of fits the play style for that list, because it's a lot about how well you move.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS