• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Spaceman91

Spaceman91

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:19 AM

Hi everybody.....
I was looking through the aces previews and it got me in the mood for a list with all three ( with aces ) Of my interceptors. This is what I came up with:

Soontir Fel
+ PtL
+ Targeting Computer

Tetran Cowell

kir Kanos

Scimitar Squadron Pilot
+ Proton Torpedo

Im happy withthe way it looks on paper but im not sure of a few things.
1. Is proton torpedo the best choice
2. Will it all work together

So what do you people think?
I didn't mean for it to get this bad.

#2 Engine25

Engine25

• Members
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:15 AM

Hi everybody.....
I was looking through the aces previews and it got me in the mood for a list with all three ( with aces ) Of my interceptors. This is what I came up with:

Soontir Fel
+ PtL
+ Targeting Computer

Tetran Cowell

kir Kanos

Scimitar Squadron Pilot
+ Proton Torpedo

Im happy withthe way it looks on paper but im not sure of a few things.
1. Is proton torpedo the best choice
2. Will it all work together

So what do you people think?

In my experiences, bombers with ordinance tend to be wasteful.  Without rerolls or focus, you're simply not likely to hit a focused high-agility ship.  And the bomber is weak after its ordinance is consumed.

I also would not bother with the 2 points for Targeting Computer on Soontir.  With PtL, he will regularly have a focus, and focus is the better option in most situations.  Now, Target locking AND focusing is obviously the BEST option, but there's a trade off.  You will NEED to use at least one of his two actions to maneuver on a regular basis, and often you will need both of them.  So, give up the targeting computer to save those two points, and either barrel roll+boost (+free focus), or barrel roll OR boost, plus a focus (+free second focus).  this way you are either not in front arc, or you have a focus token for attack AND defense.  This way, you are unlikely to need a target lock.

And for those 22 points we've freed up, take a Royal Guard Pilot.  4 Interceptors, PS5 and higher.  Use Soontir and Tetran to get behind but stay close, keep Kir Kanos back to use his evade/damage ability, and block with RGP when possible.

Soontir and Kir will be their primary targets, so keeping Soontir out of arc and keeping Kir at range and preferably out of arc will ensure they have to target the others first.  Then beat on their heavy hitters, and laugh maniacally.

You could also try Lorrir over Tetran.  Try it both ways, and see what is best for you.  They will both excel at avoiding front arc.  This would save a point, so you can have initiative, or put a Veteran Instincts on Royal Guard to make him PS8.

Edited by Engine25, 20 February 2014 - 09:19 AM.

Just another stuck up, half-witted, scruffy-looking Nerf-Herder bidding you, Fly Casual.

#3 Magnus Grendel

Magnus Grendel

The Empire Needs You!

• Members
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:29 AM

True, but if he's only got three interceptors to draw on...

Agreed that Targeting Computer is probably not great. Maybe it's just me, but I can't bring myself to use an interceptor's action for anything other than not dying (be that by evade or manouvre).

Kanos is a good wingman for the bomber (initially) as they both excell at long-ranged fire. Once those torpedoes go off, though, that bomber's looking mighty lonesome; everything else can sabre-dance firing arcs well, but the bomber can be pursued fairly easily. Bombers tend to work well in force; the more you field, the more confident you can be of breaking something important with your initial ordnance volley.

I might suggest trying to break the bomber and some upgrades into a pair of TIE/ln fighters if you can scrape the points together.

• Engine25 likes this

#4 Engine25

Engine25

• Members
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:34 AM

All Good points.

But, you forgot to laugh maniacally.  That's the most important part.

• Magnus Grendel and Dr. Z like this
Just another stuck up, half-witted, scruffy-looking Nerf-Herder bidding you, Fly Casual.

#5 Spaceman91

Spaceman91

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:17 AM

I could always buy a forth interceptor :]
  • Rakky Wistol and Engine25 like this

#6 Engine25

Engine25

• Members
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:15 PM

or TWO Imp aces...

I don't mean to put you off the bombers either, just in my experience the bomber is kind of a one-trick pony designed for a POWERFUL alpha strike.  However, without the ability to get a focus or reroll ordnance dice they tend to be pretty weak in play compared to the price, so if you add a single missile ship to another list, it should generally be ship that can fend for itself after the missile is used.  Bombers are best in groups of more bombers, not as easily added to a list as an interceptor or a couple TIE fighters.

#7 Engine25

Engine25

• Members
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:22 PM

or TWO Imp aces...

I don't mean to put you off the bombers either, just in my experience the bomber is kind of a one-trick pony designed for a POWERFUL alpha strike.  However, without the ability to get a focus or reroll ordnance dice they tend to be pretty weak in play compared to the price, so if you add a single missile ship to another list, it should generally be ship that can fend for itself after the missile is used.  Bombers are best in groups of more bombers, not as easily added to a list as an interceptor or a couple TIE fighters.

#8 Vonpenguin

Vonpenguin

• Members
  • 949 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:24 PM

I'm gonna play devil's advocate and say that I like this list. Bombers arn't great once they are spent, but they can hold their own well enough to not be a burden, and with three higher PS three attack ships you can easily strip shields and focus from targets, and if the supposed "High agility focused" ship doesn't spend that focus on blocking the squints then, well, most high agility ships don't have that much health, you probably killed it anyway, and save you proton for a better target. 4 dice with a psuedo focus has a good chance of hitting even unmodified and against a three green ship. Not a sure thing but more often then not I'd say.

Targeting computer, I like it. Remember you don't have to have something in your own arc every turn. With that soontir can dodge arcs, target lock some smuck next to or behind hm, and then obliterate them at his leisure when it's convenient.

#9 Effenhoog

Effenhoog

• Members
  • 538 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:32 PM

I think targeting computer is fully worthwhile with high-skill interceptors like Soontir.  Moving last, you can see whether an enemy ship has you in their firing arc or not, and there should be plenty of opportunities where nobody has a bead on you and you can take the target lock+focus without fear of getting shot at.  With Soontir especially this gives you options like boost into range 1, target lock, and get the free focus for a 4 dice TL+focus attack at PS9.  Not to mention times where you intentionally fly past opponents just to keep out of firing arcs, even though you give up your own shot for that turn, which is a common event with interceptors.  In this situation you can now target lock as you fly past, and potentially gain a TL+focus attack once you come back around.  For just 2 points (and with the option of equipping royal guard title if you really want another modification) the targeting computer is probably the thing I look forward to the most in Imperial Aces.

Perhaps its just my personal bias but I have always felt like interceptors are lacking in the "cannon" part of glass cannon.  Maybe I just have poor luck but 3 (or 4) dice with only focus just never seems to put out as much damage as it seems like it should (on the other side of the spectrum, heavy laser cannon+focus has generally rolled quite favorably for me and for a long time it made me kind of overestimate its effectiveness).

#10 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

The Grey

• Members
  • 2,882 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:32 PM

If you have ties, you have a 4th interceptor already:

Comwall + stealth + PTL

Kir + Stealth

Saber + PTL + Stealth

Backstabber

Hits like a ton of bricks if you can keep it alive.  Bombers are alright but a bomber + 3 interceptors just doesn't feel right to me.

As far as Targeting computer goes: I get less out of it than stealth for sure.  I fly Fel and Turr A LOT.  Fel very occasionally, I wish I had a TL option for him, but it's probably been maybe 5 times.  Boost into range 1 and focus and you're good.  Turr, nope, needs his actions for movement and positioning every turn.

And if you're not hitting with 3-4 dice with interceptors... you're dice just hate you.  Can't get much better than that. 

Edited by Rakky Wistol, 20 February 2014 - 12:38 PM.

#11 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:54 PM

I love bombers.  Granted I take advantage of all the great opportunities for synergy with them.  I love a Naked Jonus surrounded by two or three more bombers with missiles and torpedoes.  But that being said the lone naked bomber is actually pretty good.  Sure it only has two agility and 2 attack, but it has the best dial in wave 3 and six hull points for such a cheap price is a bargain.  

I do agree that a torpedo without any synergy to make it better might be overpriced.  Maybe you should consider looking into bombs.  The Bomber is basically an after thought in this list anyway and bombs are nasty when you remember about them, but your opponent forgets about them.  They are harder to use when you PS is lower.

• oneway likes this
Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#12 Khyros

Khyros

Advocate of A & E Wings Everywhere

• Members
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:56 PM

I love bombers.  Granted I take advantage of all the great opportunities for synergy with them.  I love a Naked Jonus surrounded by two or three more bombers with missiles and torpedoes.  But that being said the lone naked bomber is actually pretty good.  Sure it only has two agility and 2 attack, but it has the best dial in wave 3 and six hull points for such a cheap price is a bargain.  

I do agree that a torpedo without any synergy to make it better might be overpriced.  Maybe you should consider looking into bombs.  The Bomber is basically an after thought in this list anyway and bombs are nasty when you remember about them, but your opponent forgets about them.  They are harder to use when you PS is lower.

The B wing would like to dispute that "best dial in wave 3" comment.  That 2 turn is just too useful to be red.  And I'd take a red 1 turn over a white 3 turn 9 times out of 10.  You do have more green to shed that stress though.

The fleet:  

Spoiler

#13 Kaimuund

Kaimuund

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:57 PM

I like the initial list, but as an Imperial Player, I would have to agree to drop the Target Lock. Putting the extra point in and giving Soontir a Stealth Device has always been my way to go. 

I do like a single bomber with ordnance. I fly a lot more casual than tourney, but I like to use the ordnance to finish off something an Interceptor scored on, rather than as an initial volley. Therefore, I'd probably use concussion missiles, cluster missiles or a homing missile (last one would help a lot with hitting, as you can use the TL to reroll). Maybe I'm just a missile guy though, playing Imperials and not putting torps on BH's. 

I feel like once the ordnance goes off, you fly into the thick and try to bump and grind with that O'Bomba, while constantly shouting THANKS O'BOMBA, and see what happens. I have some great shots of me playing Rebels in a 200v200 battle where the MVP was a bomber flying inbetween Wedge, Chewbacca, an A Wing, and a Y Wing, making all kinds of trouble. 

It's pretty easy to be in the way of a Falcon with a bomber, pushing it back to its starting spot, and right where your Interceptors want it. with 6 hull, and a focus, you can survive for a while. At 16 points, its a ridiculous steal. (+ordnance).

• Magnus Grendel likes this

#14 Magnus Grendel

Magnus Grendel

The Empire Needs You!

• Members
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:53 AM

Hmm.. Fair points. Let it be clear that I in no way intended to criticise the TIE bomber. The thing is tough and really, really cheap.

If you plan on using the bomber as a 'get in the way', and are likely to be flyng through the middle of enemy squads, consider using the bomb slot. Proton bombs are nasty, nasty things - especially to A-wings and E-wings that are fragile but agile and shielded.

#15 Spaceman91

Spaceman91

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:04 AM

I'm thinking that a bomb might be a better way to go, just from what people are saying.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS