Naked Jan

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 berusplants

berusplants

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:11 AM

Anyone tried running a HWK in a purely support role, specifically Jan Ors?

I was thinking about this squad:

Jan + Swarm

ORS + APLs

2 x Blue Bs

Jans extra dice and boost to PS8 is pretty valuable even though she herself contributes nothing to the attack. Gives my opponent a dilemma, Go for Jan or the fighters/freighter? 

If they go for Jan she will be at range 3 and the hardest to hit, fulfilling a Biggs type role keeping the shots off the main fleet. Go for the others and you have a lot of hull/shield to chew through whilst being pounded with the extra dice at PS8.

Not a tournament level list but I think it could be effective, and interesting in the decision it gives your opponent. 

You could sub the blues for rookies and do something with the 2 points, but I'm rather averse to flying Xs for some reason! Also the ORS could be subbed for another fighters, but I like the idea of having it upfront fouling attack lines and hopefully causing trouble with its APLs

Let me know if you've tried something similar. 

4 Ties, 2 Advanceds, 2 Bombers, 3 Squints (inc Aces), 2 Defenders, 1 Phantom, 1 Firespray and 2 Shuttles.

3Xs, 2Ys 3Bs, 3As (inc Aces), 1E, 3Z95s, 1 HWK, 1 YT1200 and a Transport.

#2 Captain Lackwit

Captain Lackwit

HWK Pilot

• Members
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:37 AM

Well I've never tried that, but I have thought about it a lot.

Naked Jan, that is.

• Shanturin, berusplants, Imperial Rebel and 1 other like this

"There's got to be a better way to make a living..." -Kyle Katarn
Resident HWK-290 Enthusiast, Trainee pilot. _\.o./_
Kills: |o| |o| |o| {o} {o} (o) >o<

#3 berusplants

berusplants

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:25 AM

I just googled Jan for the first time. Lekker!

4 Ties, 2 Advanceds, 2 Bombers, 3 Squints (inc Aces), 2 Defenders, 1 Phantom, 1 Firespray and 2 Shuttles.

#4 Ravncat

Ravncat

• Members
  • 754 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:58 AM

I'd swap out swarm for squad leader, It lets jan stay a bit further out of the battle, swarm tactics requires range 1.
  • berusplants likes this

#5 berusplants

berusplants

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:03 AM

True, but I dont mind having her close to the Bs, playing mind games with the attacker. Also doesnt cost her her action and I have no ordinance or any other obvious need for a further action. 

#6 FuzzyBunny

FuzzyBunny

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:09 AM

I have a list that uses her. I like it a lot.

Jan + Ion Turret

Rookie X-wing

Blue Squadron B-wing + Fire Control x2

Works pretty good. I fly defensive with Jan, just trying to keep her back and away from damage. I then boost which ever of the other ships has the best shot.

#7 Ravncat

Ravncat

• Members
  • 754 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:23 AM

It's always good to stack focus and target lock - or nice to be able to barrel roll and focus. - If Jan doesn't have any weapons / etc, then she doesn't really need the target lock. Focus will help her on the defense, but really, the B-wings are more maneuverable than the HWK, so it's easy to imagine her getting beyond range 1 from the b's.

The Range 2 let's you get a bit more creative with maneuvering I think.  - But YMMV :)

• berusplants likes this

#8 berusplants

berusplants

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:05 PM

Worked rather well, Jan went down a Hero but drew fire and lent extra dice at the right time (ie early in the fire order) for a bwing  to one shot a squint, get solid damage on Krassix and she chased Kath down without ever actually hitting her with her 1 attack. Left time for the Smuggler to harass (although the APLs never really worked) whilst the Bs ended up in good shape having finished off the double firespray alpha squint build. Good game, 

• jasonkw likes this

#9 VanorDM

VanorDM

Rules Ninja

• Members
  • 4,213 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:12 PM

The first time I played my Jan and the Boy's list. Jan, Wedge and Luke. It wasn't pretty for the Empire, because the other guy didn't really understand what Jan could do.

Next time, she became the biggest target on the board.

#10 Stone37

Stone37

• Members
  • 876 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:14 PM

The first time I played my Jan and the Boy's list. Jan, Wedge and Luke. It wasn't pretty for the Empire, because the other guy didn't really understand what Jan could do.

Next time, she became the biggest target on the board.

This is why Jan and Biggs are always together in my builds.  ;)

#11 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

The Grey

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:00 PM

Jan + bandits and another hitter are going to be a thing in wave 4.  She turns Bandits into Rookies after they shoot off their missiles.

Jan + Ibi + bandits x2 has plenty of upgrade points remaining and enough bodies to matter. 

#12 Stone37

Stone37

• Members
  • 876 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:52 PM

Jan + bandits and another hitter are going to be a thing in wave 4.  She turns Bandits into Rookies after they shoot off their missiles.

Jan + Ibi + bandits x2 has plenty of upgrade points remaining and enough bodies to matter. 

That is the exact build I'm day dreaming about as well.  Jan just keeps getting better with age!

• berusplants likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS