Y-Wing Elites?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 SoulCrusherEx

SoulCrusherEx

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:48 AM

well the gold leader was no good leader at all he freaked out after one of his gold team meber died i guess thats why they dont have those veteran medal things

Imperium: 7 Tie Fighter, 3 Tie Advanced, 12 Tie Interceptors (4 aces boxes included) 3 Tie Bomber and 3 fire sprays, 1 Tie Defender, 2 Tie Phantom, 1 Lambda Shuttle
Rebels: 1 X wing, 1 B-wing, 1 Z-95
On Order: -
In pre-Order: -

#22 Arthur Volts

Arthur Volts

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:07 AM

Pretty much every pilot at the Battle of Yavin were the best in Rebels aresenal. The Y-Wing pilots were some of the most veteran, because newer pilots were dumped in X-Wings.

I suppose game play and balancing takes precedent. Sucks to see the veterans in the lore treated like unwanted turds for the most part.

#23 Khyros

Khyros

• Members
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:13 AM

I would like to point out that Horton Salm was not part of the Battle of Yavin.  He was leader of Gray Squadron on the Assault on the Second Death Star.  He also survived that.  And to the best of our knowledge, was the only Y wing pilot to survive that (He was the only one to respond to Lando's all fighters form up on me command... given that could just mean the other Y wings were not capable of breaking off and abiding).  He was a colonel at that time, and goes on to be a general... A career setup by his flying skills.  Seems like he's an elite pilot to me...

• IvlerIin and FuzzyBunny like this

The fleet:  

Spoiler

#24 Vonpenguin

Vonpenguin

• Members
  • 938 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:04 PM

And Salm also specifically shunned newer fighter models according to wookiepedia. He could have transferred over to a X or B wing at any time but preferred old reliable y-wings because he knew them inside and out and mastered them completely.  If anyone deserves an Elite talent it's that guy.

• Revanchist, Khyros, DraconPyrothayan and 1 other like this

#25 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:19 PM

I'd make the perfectly justifiable excuse that "The game was young and they made a mistake about that sort of thing in Wave 1" but it's been completely violated by the fact they did the exact same thing to the Lambda Shuttle in Wave 3. I'm just going off the cuff and thinking that they were not ships that were designed to pull off especially fancy maneuvers, no matter how good the pilots happen to be.

That said, I do like your idea of designated leaders of squadrons, and I'd be kinda cool with using that as a sort of mechanic in the future to grant a minor benefit.

There is a card called "Squad Leader" of course it is an elite upgrade so no Y-wings can ever get it.

Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#26 Shanturin

Shanturin

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:22 PM

I would like to point out that Horton Salm was not part of the Battle of Yavin.  He was leader of Gray Squadron on the Assault on the Second Death Star.  He also survived that.  And to the best of our knowledge, was the only Y wing pilot to survive that (He was the only one to respond to Lando's all fighters form up on me command... given that could just mean the other Y wings were not capable of breaking off and abiding).  He was a colonel at that time, and goes on to be a general... A career setup by his flying skills.  Seems like he's an elite pilot to me...

Also, he shoot down Soontir Fel himself! If anyone deserves an EPT, it's him. But since he doesn't have one I belive it's ship's limitation and we wouldn't see any card changing that in nearest future, though I certainly hope for Y-wing only cards allowing Crew or Bombs :P

May my blade be sharp. May I sculpt a new fate for my enemies.

#27 SpectreSix

SpectreSix

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:24 PM

Barrel rolling lambda shuttles!!!

Hell it worked for the X-wing/TIE Fighter series.

Edited by SpectreSix, 20 February 2014 - 04:24 PM.

Spectre Leader, standing by.

#28 Arthur Volts

Arthur Volts

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:19 PM

The coloured leader title could be an interesting way to grant a 2nd modification slot to Rebels. It grants the elite status and whatever small ability, but if placed on a ship that is already elite, it grants the use of a 2nd modification card, to represent the unique veteran status of the ship. Very simialr to the Royal Guard.

I could see such titles having more "aura" abilities than amplifying the chosen ship. They are the leader and should be granting effects to those they are leading.

Perhaps making it so that a player may only have one of any "Leader" upgrade on the table at any one time.

* Red Leader = Action: choose a friendly ship at range 1 and increase their agility by 1 until the end of the turn.

* Gold Leader = Action: All friendly ships within range 1 may Increase or derease the range of any weapon upgrade by 1.

* Green Leader = Action: Reduce agility by 1 until the end of the turn to remove 1 stress from a friendly ship within range 1-2.

* Grey Leader = Action: Opposing ships at range 1 have their agility reduced by 1.

* Blue Leader = Friendly ships draw 2 crit cards, discarding 1 when applying damage.

* Rogue Leader = Friendly ships may take 2 different modifications instead of 1.

Just spitballing.

Edited by Arthur Volts, 20 February 2014 - 05:36 PM.

• Viceroy Bolda likes this

#29 Parravon

Parravon

• Members
  • 572 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:35 PM

I wouldn't mind a series of "titles" Red-Green-Grey-Gold-Blue squadron leaders which grant that medal and some kind of effect appropriate to the fighter group.

I like your idea. You could do possibly it with one card that could easily apply to any faction:

If you have 3 or more ships of the same type you may choose a Squadron Leader for a few (?) points, followed up with a Squadron Leader card that gives that pilot an extra point on Pilot skill and maybe an elite slot.

Could spice things up without adding too much extra. Would love to see FFG put out some card packs to enhance the ships we've already got. I'm not hugely keen on buying certain ships just to get a specific card when I may not use that ship much. Still, that's FFG's marketing at the moment.

Rick

Hastings, New Zealand

#30 Joker Two

Joker Two

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:33 PM

For all the props Horton Salm gets (and that he rightfully deserves!), I would hesitate to call him "elite".  He is certainly courageous, dedicated, experienced, skilled, and most of all reliable, but he doesn't have the same "flair" that the pilots with Elite Pilot Talents do are characterized by.

"The only thing that keeps my people alive out there is rigid adherence to discipline, and this discipline is instilled through consciously constructed drills that build them into a unit. My people lack the native talent in your squadron, but we make up for it because we cover for one another and watch out for each other."

- Horton Salm, to Wedge Antilles

His flying ability is fairly represented by his Piloting Skill, and his experience in capital ship- and ground-attack missions are reflected by his special ability, but he has none of the creativity or intuitive ability characterized by Elite Pilot Talents.

#31 Vonpenguin

Vonpenguin

• Members
  • 938 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:53 PM

He might not be a "daredevil" or the kind of pilot to "push the limit" but I think he would certainly count as a "squad leader", an advocate of "swarm tactics" and someone with a great deal of "determination", and once we find out what it does wingman would probably fit him as well.

• Viceroy Bolda likes this

#32 Arthur Volts

Arthur Volts

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:03 PM

For all the props Horton Salm gets (and that he rightfully deserves!), I would hesitate to call him "elite".  He is certainly courageous, dedicated, experienced, skilled, and most of all reliable, but he doesn't have the same "flair" that the pilots with Elite Pilot Talents do are characterized by.

"The only thing that keeps my people alive out there is rigid adherence to discipline, and this discipline is instilled through consciously constructed drills that build them into a unit. My people lack the native talent in your squadron, but we make up for it because we cover for one another and watch out for each other."

- Horton Salm, to Wedge Antilles

His flying ability is fairly represented by his Piloting Skill, and his experience in capital ship- and ground-attack missions are reflected by his special ability, but he has none of the creativity or intuitive ability characterized by Elite Pilot Talents.

I can get behind that. There are still many concepts that could represent solid leadership on the board. I'd rather not visualize everyone with an elite talent being a whimsical artisan of space flying. Pure doctrine and teamwork can excel alongside the styles of Wedge and Luke.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS