initiative

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Ihavebadluck

Ihavebadluck

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:07 PM

what is the advantage of having initiative?

#2 MikeEMcGee

MikeEMcGee

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:17 PM

I'm new, but I believe the player with initiative "wins the tie". If we both have ps 9 pilots, the player with initiative moves last and shoots first.

#3 Cptnhalfbeard

Cptnhalfbeard

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:28 PM

I'm new, but I believe the player with initiative "wins the tie". If we both have ps 9 pilots, the player with initiative moves last and shoots first.

very close, but not quite.

Initiative breaks most ties, so if there are any ties for PS when placing ships on the board, the ship with initiative goes in first, if there are any ties for PS during activation, the ship with initiative moves first, and if there are any ties for PS during combat, the ship with initiative fires first.

Edited by Cptnhalfbeard, 19 February 2014 - 07:36 PM.

#4 Cptnhalfbeard

Cptnhalfbeard

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:34 PM

I will also add that if 2 effects trigger at the exact same time the ship with initiative triggers first (even if the PS of the ships are different).  It doesn't happen often, but here is a good example:

an x-wing with R2-D2 does a green forward maneuver collides with a ship with Anti-Pursuit Lasers. Both R2D2 and APL state their effect happens "after executing a maneuver", so they both trigger at the same time.  The player with initiative would resolve their effect first - so if the x-wing had initiative, the x-wing would regen a shield with R2D2, then roll a damage die for the APL.

• Veldrin and That One Guy like this

#5 Duraham

Duraham

• Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:12 PM

where can I find the reference to the "player with initiative does his effect first" ruling? Im in charge of a shop tournament, and need to know where this came from so I can reference it

#6 Vonpenguin

Vonpenguin

• Members
  • 699 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:53 PM

Also keep in mind that in terms of shooting with the same PS, it doesn't actually matter, you'll still get your attack.

#7 Duraham

Duraham

• Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:18 PM

Also keep in mind that in terms of shooting with the same PS, it doesn't actually matter, you'll still get your attack.

but crit effects do take place immediately, eg. blinded pilot, weapons malfunction, munitions failure

#8 That One Guy

That One Guy

• Members
  • 392 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:28 PM

I will also add that if 2 effects trigger at the exact same time the ship with initiative triggers first (even if the PS of the ships are different).  It doesn't happen often, but here is a good example:

an x-wing with R2-D2 does a green forward maneuver collides with a ship with Anti-Pursuit Lasers. Both R2D2 and APL state their effect happens "after executing a maneuver", so they both trigger at the same time.  The player with initiative would resolve their effect first - so if the x-wing had initiative, the x-wing would regen a shield with R2D2, then roll a damage die for the APL.

that's my example! fun game, that was...

• DraconPyrothayan likes this

#9 DraconPyrothayan

DraconPyrothayan

• Members
  • 1,882 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:02 AM

where can I find the reference to the "player with initiative does his effect first" ruling? Im in charge of a shop tournament, and need to know where this came from so I can reference it

I believe it's in the Tournament Rule-book. (I'd like a copy of this, actually. Anyone know where to find one?)

#10 Parravon

Parravon

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:48 PM

The tricky thing I've found with Initiative in this game is that it forces the player with initiative to activate and move before his opponent if they are on the same pilot skill. It seems to work in reverse here because it effectively gives the opponent a chance to see what you are doing first. Once combat starts, the player with initiative gets to shoot first which is logical, as that's what initiative is.

Other games I've played where initiative is diced for each round, the player that wins it for the round can choose to move first or fire first. I had to read the Initiative section twice because I was so used to that style of play. 

Rick

Hastings, New Zealand

Rebels: 3 X-Wings, 1 Y-Wing, 2 A-Wings, 1 B-Wing, 1 YT-1300   Imperials: 1 TIE/Adv, 2 TIE/Int, 3 TIE, 1 TIE Bomber, 1 Firespray-31

and still building...

#11 WizzBif

WizzBif

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:01 PM

Rule book page 16. http://www.fantasyfl...book_lowres.pdf

#12 WizzBif

WizzBif

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:09 PM

Worth noting too that initiative is decided differently in the tournament rules from the core rule book. Step 4 of Squad Deployment Procedures on page 2 override the imperial player gets the initiative bias from the core rule book. http://www.fantasyfl...ament-Rules.pdf

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS