How many cards do you put in your deck!

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 la1cajun

la1cajun

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:55 PM

Hey guys, been working on deck building and just wanted to throw a question out on how many cards you guys use in your decks. Yall go with 50 or is it a bit better when not in tournament play to go with around 40 to 45 or so? Thanks fellas, 

The Cajun

#2 jjeagle

jjeagle

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:05 PM

50, always.

"I have no help to send, therefore I must go myself."

#3 la1cajun

la1cajun

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:50 PM

Cool. I was thinking of the 50. Man you can really put a lot more strategy into your deck doing that. 

#4 booored

booored

• Members
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:16 PM

50 is the legal minimum.. BUT

The card draw and deck manipulation in this game is out of control. When you have a unlimited hand size and you sometimes have 10+ cards in hand.. having exactly 50 cards is not really an issue. With things like Stargazer, Gildor, and the host of Lore options you shouldn't be afraid to go over in your initial versions of the deck.

Most o the time as you play you will notice what cards are drawn and you think "this dose nothing for me... wish I drew X instead".. then you just whittle these out. Getting to 50 is the goal. Still even 55 can function as a deck.. especially in multiplayer when the other players can take some of the heat.
  • chuckles likes this
"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#5 chuckles

chuckles

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:17 PM

Generally range between 50-53, occasionally more. I do try to get down to 50 but i don't always succeed. Especially triple favored or Lore decks when I have included lots of card draw. 

Edited by chuckles, 19 February 2014 - 05:19 PM.

• joezim007 likes this

"Do not believe him! He has lost all power, save his voice that can still daunt you and deceive you, if you let it."

#6 Mndela

Mndela

• Members
  • 474 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:34 PM

50 seems too much, but when you are chosing cards for build a deck, easily you have got more than 60, and after you say: how i can reduce my deck? :wacko:

• Dwarf king Bronze beard and ZanzibarLand like this

Wizard is never late... only comes last round

#7 la1cajun

la1cajun

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:02 AM

Cool, thanks for the input guys. All makes sense. I dabble in a little magic here and there at work cause its quick for me and my buddy at lunch to get a game in. So I know what ya mean by drawing cards and wondering, WTH did I put this in here for and weeding things out.

#8 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:33 PM

I would pretty much echo exactly what @chuckles said.
  • chuckles likes this

#9 la1cajun

la1cajun

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:34 AM

Im gonna try to stick with around 50. If I have a little more Ill look through again like Mndela said. Im gonna try 2 sphere with some song cards and splash a 3rd sphere in and hope it works with the attachments. It will be my first deck and I only have the core set and hunt for gollum, and hopefully the carrock soon. So well see. Got to come up with what I want to be important in the deck and how I want it to work. Without a large card pool will be a little task but well see how it goes.

#10 Chris51261

Chris51261

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:04 PM

I stay around 50, usually because there's a few cards you need to get your deck to really click, and the fewer fluff cards in the deck, the better chance they come up. I will make exceptions for cards like Daeron's Runes or something though if I have 50 cards and don't want to move anything around, since it's just free card draw.

#11 PsychoRocka

PsychoRocka

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:29 PM

Always try to keep my decks as close to 50 as possible but like others have said 54/55 is the limit.

#12 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 584 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:23 PM

50 +/- 0.

Here's the thing for me: if I never ever mulliganed then more than fifty would be fine, but there are always cards I would prefer to see in my opening hand. I've never played a deck in any game where this is not true. And so, I'll always be playing 50 in this game.
  • jjeagle likes this

"I will not be suppressed!" - Nalir the Dwarf

#13 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 06:21 AM

50 +/- 0.

Here's the thing for me: if I never ever mulliganed then more than fifty would be fine, but there are always cards I would prefer to see in my opening hand. I've never played a deck in any game where this is not true. And so, I'll always be playing 50 in this game.

Me too.

#14 Noccus

Noccus

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:22 AM

I go over 50, depending on the amount of card draw I have.
Without exception, I always use Lore, so draw power comes quite easy.
I see no reason to not add draw power over 50 cards to a deck.
If you play mono lore you can safely go up to 60 cards using mithrandirs advice, daerons runes & gleowine.
I've had sessions where I had drawn through the entire deck.

Edited by Noccus, 28 February 2014 - 04:24 AM.

"Not all those who wander are lost"

#15 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:31 AM

I go over 50, depending on the amount of card draw I have.
Without exception, I always use Lore, so draw power comes quite easy.
I see no reason to not add draw power over 50 cards to a deck.
If you play mono lore you can safely go up to 60 cards using mithrandirs advice, daerons runes & gleowine.
I've had sessions where I had drawn through the entire deck.

The reason for limiting yourself to 50 cards has already been stated. The most important part of this game is to get your key cards as early as possible. Best they're in your starting hand already. While it is fun to draw dozens of cards later in the game, it really isn't that neccessary to achieve a win.

• jjeagle likes this

#16 Noccus

Noccus

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:33 AM

I agree with what you are saying, all of it, if you are building power decks.
The fun you state in card draw is, at least for me, well, fun!
And that's what this game is about in my book.
Fun, not power decks.
  • ZanzibarLand likes this
"Not all those who wander are lost"

#17 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:29 AM

I agree with what you are saying, all of it, if you are building power decks.
The fun you state in card draw is, at least for me, well, fun!
And that's what this game is about in my book.
Fun, not power decks.

It's fun to draw them.

It is dull to hold them. :P

• ZanzibarLand likes this

#18 tacomen253

tacomen253

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:57 PM

Generally range between 50-53, occasionally more. I do try to get down to 50 but i don't always succeed. Especially triple favored or Lore decks when I have included lots of card draw. 

50-53 is what I shoot for also. I may have had 54 once or twice.

#19 The_Big_Show

The_Big_Show

• Members
  • 644 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 01:31 PM

I tend to try and stick to 50 cards but I know players who always go minimum deck size plus starting hand size.

#20 Sinamil

Sinamil

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:06 PM

Usually 50 although I have some decks that add more depending on the number of players like mentioned earlier.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS