Photo

What's the sergeant's vox-tech comrade advance supposed to do?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 Elmer84

Elmer84

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 09:11 PM

As was stated, micro-beads are short ranged, a bit unrealiable and usually fixed to one channel for the duration of the mission, and yes I know that RAW doesn't say that but for those who still don't know RPG stands for role and not roll playing games, you use imagination and judgement and not only dry numbers on paper or rolled dice. As for the argument of "it's better to just requisition a vox-caster cause you don't pay exp for it" - sure, you don't, but everytime you want to talk with someone you have to take a full round or longer action and test tech use, why? cause normal comrades are not trained in using it, and mr. sergant have to do it himself, and that is why the advance is called "Vox-tech" and not "Vox-caster carrier" :) It's a training for the guy. Oh and someone asked if the PC sergant is always the highest ranked or the only officer, propably not, but he is the "hero" a PC and this is the game, that's why a PC sergant giving a sweeping "get them" order over the vox caster can muster hundreds of IG on the front line, and tilt the tide of battle :)

#22 Myrion

Myrion

• Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:54 AM

The training bit is a good point. Essentially you're buying automatic success on tech-use and reducing it to a free action for 250XP. That's pretty nice, but you have to hope that your GM allows you to use it effectively in such a way.
What's the point in being able to contact HQ if they're not going to do anything about it, for example?

What we've been discussing is not whether it makes sense to have such an advance, but that the mechanics of it are wonky. After all, the mechanics is what we buy the book for, no? We have the fluff anyway, whether though Codex: Astra Militarum, Dawn of War, Gaunt's Ghosts or any of the dozens of other sources. So, what we want is a game, a collection of mechanics, to play in the fluff.

So: The RAW for the Vox-Tech Advance are very weird, the fluff reasons are many and good. If I GM'd, it could be very worthwhile but with my current GM, for example, I doubt it would be very useful. Edit: And that's not to say that my GM is bad, just that he'd stick to RAW more than I would.

Edited by Myrion, 04 May 2014 - 05:48 AM.

• bogi_khaosa and Tenebrae like this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS