Photo

Superior Customisation and Cortosis Weave are "attachments"?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 CrunchyDemon

CrunchyDemon

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:20 AM

Some attachments should have the possibility to be "integrated" into a base object. Integrated would mean:

1) a mechanics roll install (another mechanics roll to replace)

2) no Hard Points cost

I think you lost me at number 2 because to me, this smacks a little bit of munchkinism.

I have no problems whatsoever with Cortosis eating 2 HP, and Superior eating 1.  It's still eliminating those Hard Points for balance purposes, so I approve.

I suppose from a narrative purpose that it makes sense that Cortosis and Superior require some in-depth wrenching on the gear, but given the incredibly high costs associated with both of those attachments, I'm really not worried about it.

Proud member of the Gand Anti-Defamation League.

#22 Ghostofman

Ghostofman

• Members
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:42 AM

Here is a silly question, but one that I can see my PC's asking eventually.

What would be the cost of applying cortosis weave to a ship? :huh:

Their ship got hit by a conc missile last session... :D

Yeah, the cost is going to be astronomical, and I'd bet the empire would be very interested in any individual purchasing that quantity of the stuff. Remember in the EotE era the Empire is already ramping up the DStar II program, so rare raw materials like cortisis, and phirk are probably  already being diverted to the Empire, with only small amounts getting out for public consumption.

On the bright side if you're into the commodities market it's a god time to own Cortosis futures...

MAGIC HEADPHONES PROTECT ME FROM THE SPACE!

#23 LukeZZ

LukeZZ

• Members
  • 333 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:48 AM

Some attachments should have the possibility to be "integrated" into a base object. Integrated would mean:

1) a mechanics roll install (another mechanics roll to replace)

2) no Hard Points cost

I think you lost me at number 2 because to me, this smacks a little bit of munchkinism.

I have no problems whatsoever with Cortosis eating 2 HP, and Superior eating 1.  It's still eliminating those Hard Points for balance purposes, so I approve.

I suppose from a narrative purpose that it makes sense that Cortosis and Superior require some in-depth wrenching on the gear, but given the incredibly high costs associated with both of those attachments, I'm really not worried about it.

Still there is a weapon (for now) with built-in Superior quality at no HP cost.

It seems that when designing new weapons/armors some effects can be included at no HP cost.

Yes, this is NOT a "simple" modding, but a full "design and produce".

Can a player create such things? I would say yes (maybe he's a mandalorian who wants to build his armor from scratch).

#24 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

Not the member you are looking for!

• Members
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:14 AM

Can a player create such things? I would say yes (maybe he's a mandalorian who wants to build his armor from scratch).

Yes, by using the attachments and hard points. Can he make an a superior blaster? Sure. Take a blaster pistol and add the Superior Weapon Customization. Can he make the H-7 Equalizer with its HP? No, but he can buy it and further customize it. Weapons and armour can come with qualities built in, as we are seeing, but they also come with a commiserate higher cost and rarity to account for that.

Now if someone wanted to build something from scratch I would look to see if it is feasible for them to even do it first of all. If it is, I could see them building a weapon or armour with some qualities built in, just like some of the items we are seeing so far.

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

#25 Ghostofman

Ghostofman

• Members
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:52 AM

Now if someone wanted to build something from scratch I would look to see if it is feasible for them to even do it first of all. If it is, I could see them building a weapon or armour with some qualities built in, just like some of the items we are seeing so far.

The inventor talent says "When constructing new items" so clearly the game in intended to allow this. I bet when the Mech class book comes out we'll know more.

#26 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

Not the member you are looking for!

• Members
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:54 AM

The inventor talent says "When constructing new items" so clearly the game in intended to allow this. I bet when the Mech class book comes out we'll know more.

Good point. Completely forgot that FFG designers have incorporated some things that won't be fully effective till later.

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

#27 Josep Maria

Josep Maria

• Members
  • 510 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:51 AM

One doubt about Cortosis.

Lets say that you have a Cortosis armor that adds you Soak 2. If you are hit by a lightsaber, and let say you have Brawn 3, you have Soak of 5 (3+2) or just only 2 (from Cortosis armor)?

• UHF likes this

Be brave and listen to your heart.

5,935 Profile Views.

#28 Sturn

Sturn

• Members
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:36 AM

How can Superior Customisation and Cortosis Weave be considered "attachments"?

It means that you can "attach" and "detach" them even without a Mechanics roll.

Shouldn't this type of "Attachments" be considered "Modification Options" of the basic item they modify?

(So you must roll to 'place" them and if you fail you can ruin the basic item)

I agree there is some logical failings, best not to think too hard about it. If you think too much then you have to ask yourself if special boots should be an armor attachment, or just a new piece of gear? Scopes can be yanked off a weapon in a second. Should that be an installed attachment, or a piece of gear that I can carry multiple versions of slapping one on my weapon that fits the situation best? Yep, best not to go there.

The game started with basic equipment which can be mofified using the current attachments, therefore allowing unique pieces of equipment for characters. We are now (as new sourcebooks release) seeing equipment with some things already built in. Who's to say we don't see something like a version of Mandalorian heavy armour that already incorporates the cortosis and superior qualities, and still has hard points for more customization, all with a comiserative cost? Doesn't mean that the attachments should change, though.

This is exactly what I'm afraid of and wish they hadn't done. You can already "make" that armor you just described by choosing Heavy Battle Armor and applying the Cortosis Weave and Superior Customization attachments. Making new, named armors could have been done so with the current system in place without the new armors over-shadowing what is in core.

I instead wish only new basic arms and armor made it to expansion books. The Bow, Slugthrower Carbine, Sniper Blaster Rifle, all without unique brand names. Then, the expansions could have had several new attachments and example brand named items with pre-installed attachments. For example, the Power Armor in the latest book could have been given a company name/model, then described as a Heavy Battle Armor with Strength Enhancing attachment with adjusted price and a note that 2 HP's have already been used up when purchasing it. Doing that doesn't make the core Heavy Battle Armor and attachment suddenly obsolete. A player with his cool Blaster Pistol modded with attachments that he is proud of piecing together may be heartbroken when the next expansion suddenly makes it a piece of obsolete crap, relatively speaking.

#29 Ghostofman

Ghostofman

• Members
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:22 AM

Lets say that you have a Cortosis armor that adds you Soak 2. If you are hit by a lightsaber, and let say you have Brawn 3, you have Soak of 5 (3+2) or just only 2 (from Cortosis armor)?

5, Cortosis quality makes "the users soak" immune to those effect, not just the armor's soak.
  • Josep Maria likes this

#30 UHF

UHF

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:53 AM

Soak is 5 is since it defeats breach/pierce.
  • Josep Maria likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS