47 replies to this topic

#41 Mndela

Mndela

• Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:27 AM

ffg_watcher-in-the-wood-hon.jpg

Only one word: DREADFUL

I had to ask if it only counts for a player himselve or all joined...., all: dreadful

Wizard is never late... only comes last round

#42 CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:37 AM

For the most part I don't mind the treachery cards - there are two I hate, though: Sleeping Sentry and The Masters Malice. Both have the potential to either take you out instantly, or severely wreck your board position so the game is unwinnable.

It's the Shadow effect on Sleeping Sentry that I hate - it just breaks the game. You need to exhaust characters to do anything, so wrecking your board for using a basic mechanic of the game is bad design.

The Masters Malice is crippling if you aren't playing monosphere. And yet, playing more than one sphere is a key component of building balanced decks. One or two damage would be bad enough, three is enough to kill most allies and a lot of heroes.

I don't mind other cards that mean you have challenging play decisions, like the ones that become condition attachments, but cards like these two that penalise you for using basic elements of the game are poor design.

• FeloniusBard likes this

#43 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Members
  • 571 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:30 PM

Hi Matthew,
The Power of Mordor should read: 
"When Revealed: Count the number of encounter cards in the staging area and shuffle them into the encounter deck. Reveal an equal number of cards from the encounter deck and add them to the staging area. This effect cannot be canceled."
It should not use the word 'Then'. That will be corrected in the next FAQ.
Without the word 'Then', The Power of Mordor interacts with To The Tower and a Captain enemy like this:
-You count the number of encounter cards in the staging area, including To The Tower and the Captain enemy.
-Shuffle all the cards counted into the encounter deck, except To The Tower and the Captain enemy.
-You reveal the number of encounter cards that you counted and resolve their staging.
This does make The Power of Mordor a nastier treachery card in The Morgul Vale than in any previous scenario, since you are in a way revealing 2 additional encounter cards. However, it seemed fitting to us that The Power of Mordor should be stronger when you are in fact on the very doorstep of Mordor in that scenario.
Cheers,
Caleb

#44 jjeagle

jjeagle

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:59 PM

Hi Matthew,
The Power of Mordor should read: 
"When Revealed: Count the number of encounter cards in the staging area and shuffle them into the encounter deck. Reveal an equal number of cards from the encounter deck and add them to the staging area. This effect cannot be canceled."
It should not use the word 'Then'. That will be corrected in the next FAQ.
Without the word 'Then', The Power of Mordor interacts with To The Tower and a Captain enemy like this:
-You count the number of encounter cards in the staging area, including To The Tower and the Captain enemy.
-Shuffle all the cards counted into the encounter deck, except To The Tower and the Captain enemy.
-You reveal the number of encounter cards that you counted and resolve their staging.
This does make The Power of Mordor a nastier treachery card in The Morgul Vale than in any previous scenario, since you are in a way revealing 2 additional encounter cards. However, it seemed fitting to us that The Power of Mordor should be stronger when you are in fact on the very doorstep of Mordor in that scenario.
Cheers,
Caleb

Snap, just got the same answer. I'm glad that the errata will make this fit with the "Then" rule.

Edited by jjeagle, 21 February 2014 - 05:00 PM.

"I have no help to send, therefore I must go myself."

#45 chuckles

chuckles

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:43 AM

^ Glad to see agreement on a treachery card with the key word "Then"... 

"Do not believe him! He has lost all power, save his voice that can still daunt you and deceive you, if you let it."

#46 PsychoRocka

PsychoRocka

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:52 PM

More votes for Wind-Whipped Rain (run very attachment heavy decks...), Sudden Pitfall and Local Trouble. Masters Malice is always horrid too.....

Really wish there was ever ever so slightly more treachery cancellation/manipulation... even if it was just a single extra card or a third copy of A Test of Will in the core... I know too much would ruin the game but to me treacheries are usually the nastiest encounter cards and its so painful smashing through a quest and just one single treachery completely destroys you when nothing else could..... for me wind-whipped rain and Sudden Pitfall are good examples..

plus so goddamn many of them have surge.... haha

Edited by PsychoRocka, 24 March 2014 - 10:53 PM.

#47 PsychoRocka

PsychoRocka

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:53 PM

sorry.. double post

Edited by PsychoRocka, 24 March 2014 - 10:53 PM.

#48 PsychoRocka

PsychoRocka

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:56 PM

oh and Old Wive's Tales as well...... you are right Mndela! Your eyes open wide and you curse Gollum and his damn reputation!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS